Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: freezing a used diaper

Default freezing a used diaper

basically i have the idea that i wanted to get opinions on. after having used a diaper, wet and mess, and tieing it off in a plastic grocery bag, really tightly with very little are in it. i was wondering of freezing it would work so that when i take it to the trash it wont smell right away. so would this work?, would the smell of the diaper effect the other stuff in the freezer and how long would it take to freeze? anybody have any experience with this? any ideas? thanks

I expect freezing would kill a lot of the bacteria in the urine (not sure about mess though). I don't think you'd get smells permeating into other things, though that might only happen in a freezer because the food being put in is already frozen.

However, I'd suggest testing your theory if possible - try it in an empty freezer first?

alu

i would try and test this first ,in theroy it would work.

many types of bacteria would only go dormant or very slow metabolism if put in a freezer. But it could help. They'd come out of the freezer with a lot less variety anyway.

I just put mine in 1gal ziplocs and those go in a sealed plastic bag. A renuzeit air freshener in the closet helps too.

i cant do this in an empty freezer cuz i got one freezer. but the ziploc idea is great one. ill let u guys know when i try it

Good luck, but I hope you realize that this could turn into an extremely funny "I got caught" story.

I agree with billy. What would happen if one of your parents go in for some ice cream and see a used diaper in there? Don't you think that'd raise some eyebrows?

Quote Originally Posted by bambinod View Post
    many types of bacteria would only go dormant or very slow metabolism if put in a freezer. But it could help. They'd come out of the freezer with a lot less variety anyway.

I just put mine in 1gal ziplocs and those go in a sealed plastic bag. A renuzeit air freshener in the closet helps too.
    THIS - While this will not eliminate the odor entirely it helps a great deal. Let me paint you a picture.

I was a counselor at a summer camp and had to share a room with a co-worker. I did not have access to the dumpster so I basically had to place my used diapers in my suitcase until I could drive home. I placed the diapers in one gallon ziplocks and then also inside a black garbage bag that I twisted at the top and folded into itself. Granted, by the end of the week with almost ten diapers in it, the bag began to smell a little ripe, but just barely. The ziplocks will definitely eliminate the odor well enough that you could mix your diapers with other household trash.

When I was living at home I would gather a few ziplocks worth of diapers and then, in the early morning, go down to the kitchen (the kitchen garbage is generally the largest and gets filled the fastest) and place the ziplocks in the middle of the garbage and then take the whole garbage to the dumpster. You get to hide your diapers and show yourself as a helper in the house as well. A win-win for everybody *Edit* Given your age, I am guessing you do not need to hide from parents, but just don't want your dumpers/trash bins stinking?

Incidentally, there is a reason we wrap things in freezer paper within the freezer. I really do not think putting a diaper, especially a soiled one, in the freezer is hygienic or safe unless it is the only thing in there and yes, eventually the stink would permeate.

Just my two cents
    Last edited by irataliw; 22-Jul-2011 at 15:44. Reason: did not see the age

Miku

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanine96 View Post
    I agree with billy. What would happen if one of your parents go in for some ice cream and see a used diaper in there? Don't you think that'd raise some eyebrows?
    Look below his pic. He's 33 >_>

I usually spray mine with air freshener and/or deodorant so it doesn't smell all THAT bad until I throw it out.

I have one of these, in fact it's exactly like this one, that I keep my stash in. Nobody can go into it cuz you need a key to unlock it, and I keep the key hidden somewhere else (friends think its a house key, and I tell them I just keep my old school work in there). It seals away the smells, too, so if you walk near it, you won't smell anything unless you open it, which nobody can :3
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trunk22.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	5180