Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Abandoned Places

Default Abandoned Places

What are your views of abandoned places? Do you look at them as an eyesore & that they must be torn down right away or do you think more in depth about them?

Like with a house; who lived there, what did they do, what were they like, was it a family or just a single person? Or like with a business; what did they do, what was it like there when opened, during it's prime how busy was it?

With an amusement park; how many people came there during the day, did the families have fun & were fond memories made there, what was it like there when it was full of people & the rides were all going?

I ask this, due to finding a ton of videos on YouTube on this very subject & how it kind of drew me in!! While they can be creepy, it is very interesting to see a mall or a Six Flags that once was very busy, completely empty & eerily quiet!!

I very much do this! I find them fascinating relics of days gone by - a world of which I have no knowledge. I often crave being able to get inside and see what they look like, if they're preserved at all.

As for demolition, no. If I had my way, I'd allow these grand old ruins to stand as a monument to today's society. I feel such disappointment when I visit old castles and forts and the like, that they were not able to remain in a more wholesome state for us to experience today.

Places like that hold such mystery, and history, that they deserve better treatment; they deserve respect. It once had a purpose and no doubt many people played out part of their lives there - it's special.

Man, I'm a soppy old fucker!

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    What are your views of abandoned places? Do you look at them as an eyesore & that they must be torn down right away or do you think more in depth about them?

Like with a house; who lived there, what did they do, what were they like, was it a family or just a single person? Or like with a business; what did they do, what was it like there when opened, during it's prime how busy was it?

With an amusement park; how many people came there during the day, did the families have fun & were fond memories made there, what was it like there when it was full of people & the rides were all going?

I ask this, due to finding a ton of videos on YouTube on this very subject & how it kind of drew me in!! While they can be creepy, it is very interesting to see a mall or a Six Flags that once was very busy, completely empty & eerily quiet!!
    You basically said all I could say.

I love abandoned places. They bring so many questions, and those questions easily spark deep thought.

I get into deep thought about a beer can on the side of the road; where did it come from and who places it there?
    Abandoned places bring about much more in depth questions than a simple beer can brings about.

I would love to explore such a place.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post

EYESORES!?! Absolutely not! I would fight any body that would dare to tear down long standing buildings just because they're not pretty. Heck I'd even advocate finding construction crews to go in and structurally fortify the structure so it could keep standing - a testament of time and when craftsmanship actually meant something I think it's obvious by now which side of the fence I'm on with this one...

To be perfectly honest, I think like you do about homes whenever I make a delivery to the local hospital. Who are the patients in there; what're they there for? How many have passed on in the building...or been born there? How long has the structure been there? Etc. I also ask the same things about schools, office buildings yada-yada-yada.

And yes, it's very very very interesting to see once busy locations standing silent and still.

Not to take this off topic or derail the thread, but what you're talking about may have been sparked by references to urban exploring, there people go into abandoned buildings and look around, get photos/videos etc.

Just my

Butterfly Mage

In Baltimore, most of the abandoned places are ruined, falling-apart dumps that are filled with rats and bugs. They get used by the homeless and the dope dealers. Sometimes people burn them down for the hell of it and then the fire consumes a whole city block. I'd love to see all the boarded up buildings torn down.

alu

i actually love abandoned places ,i normally break into them and do random crap in them. i also like them, some i look at and remember being there when i was younger

You like abandoned buildings? Come to Detroit. We have a few of them here.

Honestly, I do think quite a bit about them, their past, all that. Some of them were once grand houses that could still be saved, and it is a shame to see them in such a state. There are a lot that were poorly built in the first place and were just cheap worker tenements, so rip those down. Drug dealers and users use them, and scrappers strip all the plumbing and wiring out of them, and if it gets bad enough, the neighbors will set fire to the house to try getting the drugs out of their neighborhood. There are old businesses, old schools, old factories, all a testament to what was once a vibrant thriving city, now falling in on themselves and attracting disaster fetishists to photograph and write yet another story dismissing Detroit and showing nothing but broken buildings.

Honestly, if I had my way and the money to do it, 90 percent of the vacant buildings would be knocked down tomorrow, and the other 10 percent would be refurbished. Most of them are just eyesores that were never meant to last the test of time anyway. I would like to see the few gems saved, but the rest can go.

acorn

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by alu View Post
    i actually love abandoned places ,i normally break into them and do random crap in them. i also like them, some i look at and remember being there when i was younger
    Please, please give a thought to [U]what you are saying and where[/B] you are saying it.

I love looking at all the photos that people take of abandoned places. They're just so interesting to me.

Google "Urban Exploration" and you'll find a bunch more stuff about it. One of my favorite sites is "Standing but Not Operating", which is all about abandoned amusement parks.