Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 'Gay History Bill'

Default 'Gay History Bill'

CA passes gay history bill - WNEM TV 5 - Saginaw, Flint, Michigan News and Weather

There are better news articles out there I just happened to have this one on copy paste because of a history paper I was writing.

I guess I am wondering what peoples opinions on this are.

My opinions on it:

Quote Originally Posted by kwis View Post
    However I don't agree with the idea of teaching elementary school students about sexual orientation.
    [/spoiler]
    why not? - and what do you think they will be teaching them? you can tell children about sexual orientation without talking about sex you know.

Personally I have more of a problem with the whole "History Month" concept, applied to whoever, but maybe that's a topic for another thread...

I wouldn't have cared as a child one way or the other. I'm sure that they'll be age appropriate...it's not like they're going to be teaching from a smut magazine.

I know that they severely cut history just because someone is LGBT. I would have liked to have learned about quite a few people when I was in school, but I didn't until later on because they were never mentioned.

I think the "gay history" bill is a great idea. In school we learn about how ethnic and religious minorities have been discriminated against over the years, so why not learn about the plight of LGBT people? Also, the passing of this bill could save lives, as LGBT teens are 3 times more likely to commit suicide than heterosexual teens. Teaching about homosexuality in schools would make homophobia less of a problem. I go to an arts school, so there are many LGBT students here. If someone said a homophobic remark at my school, people might beat them up. If "gay education" makes things easier for LGBT people, than why not have it?

I don't have an issue at all with them overturning the ban on teaching of history of LGBT people at all. I also think that in terms of the contribution things, I do wonder how that will be. Is it just going to be including people who played a role in securing rights and such of LGBT? I have no problem with that, as I don't with any other orientation, religion, race, sex, and so forth. If it is more like (I'm guessing/hoping not) "Abe Freewater, a gay american, saved earth from an asteroid in 1942." Ehh, I don't see where him being gay/bi/straight/anamorphic/asexual/etc. plays a role in what his history was. Unless you go around saying "Joe-Bob Blackwoods, a white southerner, saved blah blah blah" "Michelle Green, a black women, save blah blah blah"

Of course, I also would hope that the teaching of history is improved in general. Granted I don't know about California schools, but I know here a lot of history was hacked and generalized or just shit all together. 70% of how government works I learned from television and 100 level college classes. 90% of what I know about Native Americans came from college classes. 98% of Russian history I learned from self-learning (Okay that maybe isn't the most important thing to be taught, but its not like Russia didn't have some significance pre-cold war).

But yes, this will help a bit. I am sure there are quite a few LGBT activists and famous people that never got mentioned because it wasn't allowed in California schools. I think the person quoted at the end of the article is a major issue to learning if I'm honest. Even if you disagree with LGBT, or plain don't like them, why should that make anything they did be wiped from the history books? If learning about things turned you into that, I'd likely be a serial killing, Russian, homosexual. Last I check, I'm none of those.

Personally, I don't see how sexual orientation has anything to do with the contributions made towards science and history. If you cracked the enigma code you cracked the enigma code. If you discovered the DNA structure you discovered the DNA structure. It shouldn't matter who your lover was or what your pprerogative is. All that should matter is what your contribution to society and progress was.

Quote Originally Posted by reddawn2988 View Post
    Personally, I don't see how sexual orientation has anything to do with the contributions made towards science and history. If you cracked the enigma code you cracked the enigma code. If you discovered the DNA structure you discovered the DNA structure. It shouldn't matter who your lover was or what your pprerogative is. All that should matter is what your contribution to society and progress was.
    The tragedy is that it was not like that.

Alan Turing, who was the lead figure in breaking the military version of ENIGMA* and building the world's first programmable electronic computer, was gay: he was 33 at the end of the war and the possibilities of where his mathematical genius might have gone next were stellar. But when he indiscreetly let slip he was gay (ironically he did so when he went to the police to report a burglary), the police decided he had to be prosecuted, the government pulled his security clearance, and they forced him to undergo hormone therapy with the aim that it would "cure" him of homosexuality. He committed suicide aged 42. Over 50 years on that loss still reverberates.

Artie

* Please note that there are several figures who could legitimately claim to have cracked ENIGMA - the man who first unlocked the design principles of the electromechanical circuitry was the Polish mathematician Marian Rejewski. Turing's later contributions applied Rejewski's theory to the wartime machine, which was more complex not because the circuitry was different but because the number of code wheels and combinations thereof was much greater.

Children learn about hate from a very young age. When they are taught that homosexuals are evil, wrong, etc. as children, that prejudice grows with time. My hope is that when children are being taught about the contributions of the LGBT community at a younger age, maybe they will grow up knowing its not okay to hate homosexuals because of our orientation. I hope this will show the LGBT community in a more complete light, much like Black History Month did for the African-American community. I don't need for the entire world to celebrate the fact that I'm gay, but it would be nice to be accepted for who I am.

LittleDrummerGirl

I am ALL FOR this. Now I'm jealous of California. I'm not LGBT, but in my school, it is really a big deal (But that's just middle school for ya). I've always been for LGBT education, so one state that isn't even my own is a positive step.