Thread: Advice - Friend wants to Join Navy with IBS

Unhappy Advice - Friend wants to Join Navy with IBS

Should he even put it on his application?

He wanted to be a fighter pilot but I don't think that is a good idea. And what if he gets stuck in some crazy outpost in a warzone with no bathrooms..and when the enemy is attacking he gets an IBS attack! He would be caught with his pants down! Muzukashi Neee..

Just think with those symptoms it would be hard to be productive.

Assuming you are talking US navy, the following might be of interest: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/c...df/613003p.pdf

Under 13.c:

"Current or history of irritable bowel syndrome (564.1) of sufficient severity to require frequent intervention or to interfere with normal function"

Probably subjective and you can probably get a waiver, but something to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowDash View Post
    Taking a shit's the least concern when you're under fire.
    Yeah I'm sure CO's would not give a damn if you have shit panties as long as your still doing your job.

Also if your expecting a specif job when signing up for the armed forces you should NOT be doing that period. Recruits can and might say they'll put you on some fast track bullshit, but the odds of you obtaining the ONE job you wanted is likely worse then being struck down by lighting and/or god. Plus if I was a fighter pilot, I would wear a diaper for the sake of convince and keeping the cockpit clean, as i'm sure many if not all of them do to some extent.

Maybe a few years back your friend might get a waiver but nowadays with the draw-down in force strength people are having a hard enough time trying to stay in the military let alone get in it. One of my own friends was denied enlistment for something that they would have looked the other way for back in 06. Of course that's with enlisting. To fly you have to be an officer and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Yeah I'm sure CO's would not give a damn if you have shit panties as long as your still doing your job.

Also if your expecting a specif job when signing up for the armed forces you should NOT be doing that period. Recruits can and might say they'll put you on some fast track bullshit, but the odds of you obtaining the ONE job you wanted is likely worse then being struck down by lighting and/or god. Plus if I was a fighter pilot, I would wear a diaper for the sake of convince and keeping the cockpit clean, as i'm sure many if not all of them do to some extent.
    Pee cup bag...

Becoming a fighter pilot is difficult regardless. Nearly all naval fighter pilots go through the Naval Academy. Not all, but others tend to be extreme exceptions. If he hasn't bought an ASVAB prep book and been able to score near perfectly, then the cart's before the horse. Whenever I hear that someone's entering the military and "plans" to be a fighter pilot, I assume they aren't well informed about the process. If he talked to a recruiter, he needs to know that recruiters need to provide the military with grunts just as much as with generals. Few people go to a recruiter dreaming of being a grunt. Recruiters are essentially the used car salesmen of the armed forces' world.

In any case, all new recruits to the Navy (and other branches) need to pass the DoDMERB (DoD Medical Examiners' Review Board) exam. IIRC, he won't be asked explicitly if he has condition X, condition Y, condition Z, etc. But he will be asked to provide a complete medical history, and if he conceals it and they find out later, he'll be in deep shit (pun intended). Servicemen aren't always given more than one choice of food, and I doubt that ever happens at all during basic training.

It's also worth mentioning that the Navy (along with the rest of the Armed Forces) is trimming personnel. It's going to be really, really hard to get a waiver unless you're awesome. Awesome as in high asvab, nothing else wrong, and perhaps some post-secondary education.