AB/DLism in popular culture

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a really interesting topic! I like "scavenger hunts" like these, finding bits and pieces about a certain subject, even though one quickly tends to see patterns emerge where there are none.

I don't really want to read almost 70 pages, so chances are the things I list may have been mentioned somewhere before - perhaps even multiple times. As many on here certainly know and a lot of the examples in here show, animation, no matter whether it's for kids or adults, is chock-full of jokes about potty emergencies and accidents, diapers and teen/adult babies.

As @Ceras mentioned further above, The Fairly Odd Parents probably is one of the top contenders in that regard, even for a Nickelodeon series, which, for some reason, are already very prone to do that. Besides the examples they already mentioned and off the top of my head:
  • Timmy's dad ripped off his own clothes while having a nervous breakdown once, leaving him in nothing but a diaper and running away crying, with Timmy even wondering since when he was wearing it.
  • Cupid and the New Year's Kid were also wearing diapers all the time despite seemingly being adult men and a ton of gags revolved around that very fact.
  • Some old town story revolved around a heroic goat that saved a bunch of kids from "a collapsing daycare" and "then changed their diapers", despite most of the kids on the picture shown during it looking like they were around the age of Timmy and his classmates.
  • Another episode had Timmy's dad become an astronaut after a medley of job changes, with a running gag about him and a trained monkey regularly peeing/soiling their space suit, which are known to contain a Maximum Absorbency Garment (MAG, i.e. ... a diaper), which is signalled by a beeping sound each time.
  • There are several generic stores that are repeatedly spotted in the background throughout the series, one of them being a "Diaper Shop". If I'm not mistaken, it can even briefly be seen in one of the Jimmy Timmy Power Hour crossover specials in one of the scenes set in Dimmsdale.
There were certainly a myriad more I just can't remember right now. Although I still wouldn't suspect him to be part of this scene, the fact that Butch Hartman is one of the best friends of Seth MacFarlane, who is certainly aware of the AB/DL community and repeatedly poked fun at it in all of his (animated) series one time or another, makes it likely that he knows about it too, which may have at least partly inspired a lot of those gags.

An offhand anime example that may not have been mentioned before would be Abenobashi Mahō Shotengai, in which the two protagonists, Sasshi and Arumi, are travelling through alternate universes, containing surreal variations of their home town and its inhabitants. One of these is something like a cartoonish prehistoric world ruled by a dominatrix version of Sasshi's sister, with their father being one of her underlings, wearing nothing but a diaper (with a butt flap, for whatever reason).

That's all for now. :think:

I wouldn’t know if this was mentioned on a previous page or not

Reactions: tbjay
There's a CSI episode called King Baby and a movie called The Baby from the 70's. Although, the movie had uncomfortable elements in there that I wasn't okay with.

Last edited:
ShyGirl91 said:
There's a CSI episode called King Baby and a movie called The Baby from the 70's. Although, the movie had uncomfortable elements in there that I wasn't okay with.
I bought the DVD of "The Baby" because it has been discussed here a number of times and I was curious. It's actually a terrible B horror movie but I found it interesting to see the man in a very real cloth diaper and plastic pants. But yes, there are some very sexually disturbing scenes. That was part of the "horror" element, I suppose.

Reactions: ShyGirl91
dogboy said:
I bought the DVD of "The Baby" because it has been discussed here a number of times and I was curious. It's actually a terrible B horror movie but I found it interesting to see the man in a very real cloth diaper and plastic pants. But yes, there are some very sexually disturbing scenes. That was part of the "horror" element, I suppose.
The ending was a twist!

There was a movie many years ago called "Auntie" about a lady who owned a bordello. One of the girls was in a diaper and had a paci.

All the Pokemon fans out there might get a kick out of this...
Yes, this was an actual plan staged by Team Rocket because Drampa is a Pokemon notorious for caring for children. (Also, the bottle later turns into a net that they trap Drampa with.) It makes me wonder, though: What would the general consensus be regarding AB/DLs in the Pokemon world? I mean, they do have Pokemaniacs that practically walk around in their own homemade suits. As you can see from the reactions in the back, though, I would imagine the main cast never pictured their rivals acting quite like this...

Last edited:
TommyMekasan said:
What would the general consensus be regarding AB/DLs in the Pokemon world? I mean, they do have Pokemaniacs that practically walk around in their own homemade suits.
The world of Pokémon is surprisingly played straight. They still have vehicles, despite Pokemon being an exponentially more efficient means of travel.
Edible real fish/etc still exist, despite Magikarp being canonically served as seafood.
Guns/swords/etc still exist, despite Hyper Bream already being a viable alternative.
etc and etc.

NinjaWeirdoPart3 said:
The world of Pokémon is surprisingly played straight. They still have vehicles, despite Pokemon being an exponentially more efficient means of travel.
Edible real fish/etc still exist, despite Magikarp being canonically served as seafood.
Guns/swords/etc still exist, despite Hyper Bream already being a viable alternative.
etc and etc.
The real fish thing was kind of phased out after the OG series...It was an early world building kind of issue.

TommyMekasan said:
The real fish thing was kind of phased out after the OG series...It was an early world building kind of issue.
Seems a bit odd to rule it out, when in doing so in brings up the issue: What do the humans eat? Outside of rice balls, I forget if it was ever explicitly vegitarian

Belgium's entry in this year's Eurovision had one of the supporting dancers wearing a pink and white outfit that looked like she was wearing a diaper.

to be clear, it wasn't one, but if you set out to make an outfit that looked like it incorporated a diaper without actually doing it, you couldn't do a much better job.

She also had a pom pom tail on a string

I only noticed when they played back snippets of the performances in the voting section. I wasn't watching the screen throughout all the performances.

NinjaWeirdoPart3 said:
Seems a bit odd to rule it out, when in doing so in brings up the issue: What do the humans eat? Outside of rice balls, I forget if it was ever explicitly vegitarian
Well I hate to be dark, but some Pokedex entries mention how delicious Pokemon like Slowpoke can be.

TommyMekasan said:
Well I hate to be dark, but some Pokedex entries mention how delicious Pokemon like Slowpoke can be.
don't talk about pokemon anymore this is about abdl on television

• Haha
Reactions: dogboy and AshtonFreecss
Yes, AB/DL on TV, in movies and media that's similar. It's been a long ongoing thread and always interesting.

Reactions: PGAFAN2008
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back