Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to change sleep patterns?

Default How to change sleep patterns?

For the last several months, I have been staying awake until about 2AM and sleeping in until 11AM most days.

Now that I am putting myself back on the job market for some PT work, I think it probably would be best if I went to sleep earlier so that I could wake up earlier and hit potential employers starting around 10AM. Preferably I would ask for a swing or grave job, and I really am in a position where I can be picky about that, but for the sake of the job hunt, perhaps it would leave a better impression if I showed up earlier in the day before more customers started showing up at places I am interested in working at.

So, I try going to bed earlier, but I lie there wide awake until about 1 or 2AM, and the sleep pattern refuses to change on its own. Supplements to help with sleep are probably a bad idea for me, as well, seeing as I would rather not risk taking anything that might interfere with my psychiatric medications.

Does anybody have any helpful ideas on how to modify my sleep schedule for the purposes of making my job hunt more productive?

Thanks in advance.

LittleDrummerGirl

If you won't take melatonin (which I do- five mg a night!), then your best bet is try watching TV in the dark for at least thirty minutes before you sleep. Then, just go straight to bed. Just repeat this until it becomes routine, and eventually, your sleep pattern may start to alter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaret246 View Post
    If you won't take melatonin (which I do- five mg a night!), then your best bet is try watching TV in the dark for at least thirty minutes before you sleep. Then, just go straight to bed. Just repeat this until it becomes routine, and eventually, your sleep pattern may start to alter.
    I could try that, but a part of me wonders if I will get too wrapped up with the TV program I am watching to want to go to sleep afterwards. I don't have cable, and I usually don't purchase boring DVDs. I've tried gaming before bed, but I get too wrapped up in the game and it backfires on me. Heh.

I think you should just start getting up earlier. Then, you'll be tired earlier.

Set your alarm an hour back each day for a few days and you should be on track.

The way I've managed the trick over the years is to just reset my alarm clock to the proper waking time, then get up and not nap through the day. Usually takes a week or so to actually "take", but has been effective for me

LittleDrummerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by KaworuVsDrWily View Post
    I could try that, but a part of me wonders if I will get too wrapped up with the TV program I am watching to want to go to sleep afterwards. I don't have cable, and I usually don't purchase boring DVDs. I've tried gaming before bed, but I get too wrapped up in the game and it backfires on me. Heh.
    Yea. Gaming is just about the WORST thing you can do.

Melatonin is the most wonderful drug on the planet. I make moderate use of it. It's a natural body chemical so it shouldn't interfere with any psychiatric medications. I am obviously not a doctor nor qualified in any area of medicine so you should definitely discuss that with your psychiatrist first. Anyway, melatonin - your brain begins producing more of it when it is time to go to sleep. Take some, your body says "it's time to sleep." Taking it in the middle of the day WILL fuck you up and not allow you to sleep regardless. I would not take any melatonin until it is near the time you are supposed to sleep - maybe an hour, two hours at most. Gradually work your way backwards.

It CAN alter your circadian rhythms by about plus or minus three hours, which is why I don't take it two nights or more in a row.

I've also found that it is easier for me to get up earlier than it is to go to bed sooner (in terms of being able to reset my sleep). Keep that in mind.

Playing games is HORRIBLE. You are too engaged, it gets your mind working, running, etc. Watch a boring TV show, a TV show you've seen before (preferably multiple times), a movie you've seen before - something that allows passive engagement...focuses your senses, allows you to drown out background distractions, but doesn't require a lot of effort on your part. IE: Passive engagement.

Don't watch a movie that is going to irritate you (ie: Damn, have to watch this stupid thing again just to sleep...) that doesn't generally work for me.

Hope something in there helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Draugr View Post
    Melatonin is the most wonderful drug on the planet. I make moderate use of it. It's a natural body chemical so it shouldn't interfere with any psychiatric medications. I am obviously not a doctor nor qualified in any area of medicine so you should definitely discuss that with your psychiatrist first. Anyway, melatonin - your brain begins producing more of it when it is time to go to sleep. Take some, your body says "it's time to sleep."

Watch a boring TV show, a TV show you've seen before (preferably multiple times), a movie you've seen before -
    I would think that taking it or at least over doing melatonin would make your brain produce less of it and this forming a chemical dependency or letting your body go without for a while thus queing to to produce it again.

Anyways watching a "boring" tv show is a great way to sleep. I perfer Mythbusters especially when using netflix online from my wii. I've seen all of the episodes even the boring ones. so I can just roll over and listen to it and fall asleep. Then within a hour the program stops ad quits consuming bandwith. Plus theres no audio to wake you back up. If I wake up again in the middle of the night I turn another episode on and repeat.

Get up earlier and/or do sports (or other exhausting stuff)
    OR: Watch an episode of „The joy of painting“. Knocks you out immediately :p

I usually do a 24 hour period of awake time then go to bed 9 hours before what i want my normal wake up time to be. Then that becomes my new cycle. I have to do this every week because i work 3rd shift throughout the week, but want to have a normal wake time on the weekends to hang out with friends and family. So i DO NOT SLEEP Friday's. I get home from work at 7:00am and play online, watch TV, or game til late afternoon, then i join friends and family for Friday Night Activities, then i get a good night's sleep on Friday late night and wake up at a decent hour on Saturday.