Thread: Writing my own TV show script, and...

Default Writing my own TV show script, and...

... I need to know how long an average half hour animated TV show script is. I don't want to make it too short or too long, I want it to be a realistic TV show script. Anyone know?

Dun-nanana! Yahoo Answers!
    "30 minute tv show- 22-30 pages"

But ide say it would really depend. A lot of screen time can be just setting the mood, or you can be highly descriptive.

LittleDrummerGirl

Make it as long as you can, and then shorten it accordingly. Lengthening stuff never works.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaret246 View Post
    Make it as long as you can, and then shorten it accordingly. Lengthening stuff never works.
    So I guess that's why there's always deleted scenes on DVD's and stuff?

LittleDrummerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanine96 View Post
    So I guess that's why there's always deleted scenes on DVD's and stuff?
    That would make sense.

When I was in scriptwriting class, the mantra was always that one page was roughly equal to one minute.

I believe a 30 minute TV show is down to 19 minutes of actual show these days, so if you shot for 19-22 pages, you would probably be right there. If you run long by a minute or two, fix it in post.

Most of what I have seen generally has been running about 11 minutes per "episode", so 22 minutes on a 30 min. time slot. There are some cartoons that even reference the timing like:

"What are we gonna do?"

" I dunno, but we've got eleven minutes to do it!"

Not an exact quote at all, but you get the idea. I think that I read that Comedy Channel actually shortened South Park episodes so they could sell more ads during the show, so it's not etched in stone I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Snap View Post
    Most of what I have seen generally has been running about 11 minutes per "episode", so 22 minutes on a 30 min. time slot. There are some cartoons that even reference the timing like:

"What are we gonna do?"

" I dunno, but we've got eleven minutes to do it!"

Not an exact quote at all, but you get the idea. I think that I read that Comedy Channel actually shortened South Park episodes so they could sell more ads during the show, so it's not etched in stone I guess.
    I feel as though that quote came from a SpongeBob episode, but I don't remember anymore. Either way, it's very true and very funny when applied well!

With the new "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic" there's a surprisingly lack of lines compared to other 22-24 min long shows. Of course there's a HIGH level of animation detail and plot can be conveyed by the animation itself.