Thread: Asher's Re-Intro Thread (And Other Stuff!)

Asher

Default Asher's Re-Intro Thread (And Other Stuff!)

Oh, hai thar! I go by Asher! You probably know me as that guy who will pop in on random threads (or make random ones every now and again) and post pictures that reflect my thoughts about the thread, such as this:

Some of you know me; most of you don’t. That’s okay. Over the past months (almost the past year!), I have been pretty much a shadow of what I once was on this site. I rarely post on the forums, and I’m never on IRC. I started out with high involvement in the forum at first, and then I grew kind of tired of it. Almost like a binge/purge cycle that we have all grown to love/hate about this aspect of our lives. With the nature of forums, this seems to be rather common - people come and go; new people join, old people leave. However, this community is simply too important to just let go. So here I am – still kickin’. Chilling in the shadows, planning carefully what my next move is going to be.

Before I continue, let me give you a quick background of me with some…

Random Facts!

• I'm a Las Vegas native.
    • I'm a history/trivia nut.
    • I’m college student in Seattle studying Psychology and Political Science, and I’m also getting involved in education policy (I still have much to learn!).
    • My long-term plan is to work in the field after I graduate (either in politics, business, writing, or some kind of the arts) and eventually get my Ph.D. in Political Theory and/or Communications/Journalism so that I can teach at a university.
    • I’m a big fan of George Bernard Shaw, Hermann Hesse, Joseph Conrad, and Shakespeare.
    • I’m a conventional hipster (its an oxymoron)! I wear hipster clothing, but I do my best to not adopt the “hipster” train of thought (being earnest is way better than being hip! )
    • I’m a secular humanist.
    • I have a fear of clowns.
    • I meditate everyday.
    • I’m an avid runner.
    • I like dancing in the shower.
    • I enjoy working with photography and writing (editing for both).
    • I play a lot of instruments (guitar, bass, piano, drums, all kinds of percussion, a little saxaphone, some other woodwinds). I can also beatbox (but only averagely )!
    • People say I look like a mix between Robert Downey Jr. and a young Kevin Spacey (weird mix!).
    • Other people say I look like a koala!
    • I am a puppeteer; one of my earlier dreams was to try out for Sesame Street!
    • I eat one protein bar everyday (is there a possible correlation between this and meditating? :O )
    • I have tremendous beard growing powers; I can grow a full one relatively quickly!

And of course a list of favorites:

• Favorite Food: Cous cous, grilled cheese, mac n cheese, cheese, more cheese, apples
    • Favorite Movie: American Beauty, Shawshank Redemption, Fargo
    • Favorite Band: Radiohead, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Phoenix, Wilco, The Bad Plus
    • Favorite Animal: Pembroke Corgis (profile pic!), owls, meerkats, ferrets, dolphins!
    • Favorite Book: Heart of Darkness (Joseph Conrad), The Poisonwood Bible (Kingsolver).
    • Favorite Role Models: George Bernard Shaw, Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Jr.

I want to end this with an apology. There are certain individuals who I feel I have wronged, and I want to apologize for my misbehaviors and mistakes. I also want to end this with a thank you: for those few I have talked to throughout my months of being behind the shadows (you know who you are), I want to thank you for being not just being wonderful members but also wonderful people. I also want to thank the staff for all that they do. You all do a fantastic job at what you do, and for that, I am thankful. There is no other community like this one. Nothing comes close. You have made this a one-of-a-kind site that can’t be beat.

I’ll see ya around.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	csiyeah.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.1 KB 
ID:	5003  
    Last edited by Asher; 11-Jul-2011 at 07:39.

Hmm, I dont follow the community much and i dunno'yeas but after reading what you had to say even before seeing the ending n stuff what I did see was a very very insecure person. I think its a good step forward that u came out to talk about this stuffs openly to even people u dunno because it allows you to get unbias feedback as well however i must say you would kill me x5 just cuz with my adhd i could never sit down with you and stay attention long enough at the things u like lmao. '

Dont beat your self up too hard though, specially not about the ab/dl community. If theres one thing i have learned about this community is that its 70% filled up with people who honnestly would be best described as "people you wouldnt want your mom and dad to ever find out that you hang out with" for countless reasons other then being ab/dl(which is honnestly why i dont go on the chat much). :P

I think your best bet is to pick what you enjoy and take that part of your self and embrace it. As a girl I think the best thing you can do is continue to live a healthy active lifestyle, persue your goals, and that the most attractive thing about a man is when hes confertable in his own skin and proud of what hes done.

Lastly, dont limit your self to this community if thats something your concerned about (relationshipwise), a girl who truely loves a man truely loves a man.

It was a pleasure reading your intro ^^

Chi

Hi, Asher. That was quite a read. It seems that you have undergone a fair amount of 'growing-up' and have come to a new level of self-understanding and self-awareness. I think that you have completed your cartharsis very nicely. I have not taken the opportunity to get to know you very well, but I have read what you have posted around the boards. I have not noticed you behaving like "... an ass, a jerk, a fake, an ignoramus, a philistine. A fool." Try not to be so hard on yourself, at times, we all judge ourselves unfairly. As for hiding behind a veil, we all do that as well. I have learned, very well, how to 'lie' to the world, and I still do everyday. Every time I present myself as a male, as a 'typical' man, I am lying. It is best for everyone, my family, my friends, and society in general, that I keep my gender dysphoria a well-guarded secret. At least, that's my rationalization. Perhaps I am just to cowardly to expose my transgendered condition to the world, who knows ? Anyway, that's a topic for another time. I think you are an interesting individual, Asher. I hope you decide not to stay in the 'shadows' or fade into obscurity. Take care, and Best Wishes.
    Last edited by fifigal; 10-Jul-2011 at 16:13.

Asher,

I appreciate your candor in this Thread/re-intro/personal history. I have always respected you as a fine member of ADISC and I am glad you have chosen this higher path. Over my years on ADISC, I have probably posted too much information about myself, but it has all been truthful. Of course had I joined as a teen (if there was an internet and an ADISC, I am sure i would have stretched truths and made up stories to enhance my image). There comes a point in your life that you kind of just "let it all hang out", I am who I am.

I was surprised to hear about your bout with cancer and am glad to here of your subsequent treatment and healing.
    Continue (Of course) with your schooling, and always leave room for your musical/creative side. I will continue to look forward to your contributions to the forums, as I have always found them to be thoughtful and thought provoking.

It seems the internet, due to the anonymity, has a proclivity to encourage and sometimes greatly reward dishonesty. We witnessed this with the seeming Mercuric rise to ADISC Stardom (Including a long standing period of Top Contributor status prior to being banned from ADISC early this spring) of the fictional character - Angela Bauer. That part of ADISC history kind of angers me. That someone so blatantly duped the entire community and yet was so warmly embraced by so many of the young people here. This behavior is clearly sociopathic. I am somewhat reluctant to believe, embrace or open up most people/members here due to superficiality, and in these rare extreme cases, due to complete dishonesty. My friends list is pretty secure. Those I've PM'd and gotten to know have my trust and seem to me to be quite authentic and would likely be friends IRL.

Asher, I'm glad you've hung around. Although I never "binge and purge", ADISC has become somewhat wearisome to me. I didn't come on here to write articles or promote myself in some kind of popularity contest. The community and support aspects of ADISC seem to be diminishing to a degree. IRL I live in a tiny community of under two thousand people; so to me the sheer numbers of members on ADISC is becoming daunting.

I hope more members follow your lead in really letting others know what they are all about through re-intros etc. Good Job, Asher

Welcome back to the hopefully new and improved Asher.

It will be nice to get to know you again, for the first time.

Asher

I'm very surprised - and thankful - for the kind of comments I have received so far. Thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiharu View Post
    Hmm, I dont follow the community much and i dunno'yeas but after reading what you had to say even before seeing the ending n stuff what I did see was a very very insecure person. I think its a good step forward that u came out to talk about this stuffs openly to even people u dunno because it allows you to get unbias feedback as well however i must say you would kill me x5 just cuz with my adhd i could never sit down with you and stay attention long enough at the things u like lmao. '

Dont beat your self up too hard though, specially not about the ab/dl community. If theres one thing i have learned about this community is that its 70% filled up with people who honnestly would be best described as "people you wouldnt want your mom and dad to ever find out that you hang out with" for countless reasons other then being ab/dl(which is honnestly why i dont go on the chat much). :P

I think your best bet is to pick what you enjoy and take that part of your self and embrace it. As a girl I think the best thing you can do is continue to live a healthy active lifestyle, persue your goals, and that the most attractive thing about a man is when hes confertable in his own skin and proud of what hes done.

Lastly, dont limit your self to this community if thats something your concerned about (relationshipwise), a girl who truely loves a man truely loves a man.

It was a pleasure reading your intro ^^

Chi

Thank you for your comment, Chi. I was a very insecure person. That's why I took many of the actions that I did. I'm doing this now as a form of "cleansing;" it has just been something that has been on my mind, and I feel better now talking about it, especially to a community that I have lied to so much.

And you also bring up an interesting point about the community itself. The 70% might be pretty accurate, but its that 30% that counts the most. I already talk to some great people on here, but I feel like I can expand my branches.

Thanks again for your comment

Quote Originally Posted by fifigal View Post
    Hi, Asher. That was quite a read. It seems that you have undergone a fair amount of 'growing-up' and have come to a new level of self-understanding and self-awareness. I think that you have completed your cartharsis very nicely. I have not taken the opportunity to get to know you very well, but I have read what you have posted around the boards. I have not noticed you behaving like "... an ass, a jerk, a fake, an ignoramus, a philistine. A fool." Try not to be so hard on yourself, at times, we all judge ourselves unfairly. As for hiding behind a veil, we all do that as well. I have learned, very well, how to 'lie' to the world, and I still do everyday. Every time I present myself as a male, as a 'typical' man, I am lying. It is best for everyone, my family, my friends, and society in general, that I keep my gender dysphoria a well-guarded secret. At least, that's my rationalization. Perhaps I am just to cowardly to expose my transgendered condition to the world, who knows ? Anyway, that's a topic for another time. I think you are an interesting individual, Asher. I hope you decide not to stay in the 'shadows' or fade into obscurity. Take care, and Best Wishes.
    Ahhhh... catharsis. That's the word. The "ass, jerk, etc." comment isn't just for this forum; it is for the world at large. And I know I have been those things in the past, so that is why I included it. But maybe that hasn't been the case in the forums.

I really appreciate you telling us about your gender dysphoria. I can very well understand about the hiding to certain individuals (especially my sexuality) - my conservative family, my religious friends, etc. It can definitely be hard sometimes, but I'm glad that you can be so open about it here. Thanks for your comment

Quote Originally Posted by Diapered Rabbit View Post
    Asher,

I appreciate your candor in this Thread/re-intro/personal history. I have always respected you as a fine member of ADISC and I am glad you have chosen this higher path. Over my years on ADISC, I have probably posted too much information about myself, but it has all been truthful. Of course had I joined as a teen (if there was an internet and an ADISC, I am sure i would have stretched truths and made up stories to enhance my image). There comes a point in your life that you kind of just "let it all hang out", I am who I am.

I was surprised to hear about your bout with cancer and am glad to here of your subsequent treatment and healing.
    Continue (Of course) with your schooling, and always leave room for your musical/creative side. I will continue to look forward to your contributions to the forums, as I have always found them to be thoughtful and thought provoking.

It seems the internet, due to the anonymity, has a proclivity to encourage and sometimes greatly reward dishonesty. We witnessed this with the seeming Mercuric rise to ADISC Stardom (Including a long standing period of Top Contributor status prior to being banned from ADISC early this spring) of the fictional character - Angela Bauer. That part of ADISC history kind of angers me. That someone so blatantly duped the entire community and yet was so warmly embraced by so many of the young people here. This behavior is clearly sociopathic. I am somewhat reluctant to believe, embrace or open up most people/members here due to superficiality, and in these rare extreme cases, due to complete dishonesty. My friends list is pretty secure. Those I've PM'd and gotten to know have my trust and seem to me to be quite authentic and would likely be friends IRL.

Asher, I'm glad you've hung around. Although I never "binge and purge", ADISC has become somewhat wearisome to me. I didn't come on here to write articles or promote myself in some kind of popularity contest. The community and support aspects of ADISC seem to be diminishing to a degree. IRL I live in a tiny community of under two thousand people; so to me the sheer numbers of members on ADISC is becoming daunting.

I hope more members follow your lead in really letting others know what they are all about through re-intros etc. Good Job, Asher
    I greatly appreciate your comment and your kind words, Rabbit. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Khaymen View Post
    Welcome back to the hopefully new and improved Asher.

It will be nice to get to know you again, for the first time.
    The same to you, Khaymen; hopefully we'll be able to get to know each other a little better