Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: switching from disposable to cloth?

Default switching from disposable to cloth?

Hey all,

I am going to be home alone again for a week while the parents are away on holidays and of course this means that my younger side comes out to play. Ontop of the other items that i have hid away (paci, bottle, onesie) i was thinking about buying disposable diapers again to last me the whole week as i would usually do.

However, cloth diapers crossed my mind and i was wondering about using those for the week instead of disposable. Obviously, i will be wearing 24/7 for the week and i have mixed emotions about using cloth diapers.

So, if it is possible, if you have any thoughts, opinions or ideas about this can you let me know? For example, are they comfortable? Does the continous washing get annoying? What do they feel like? Do they hold well? Are they bulky?

Thanks,
    Ginger

Personally, I love cloth. I prefer the feel, the fit, the customizability, everything.

As for the washing, it's really not a big deal. As long as you have a few on hand, you can wash the diapers as you would any other load of clothing. You throw them into the washer, wash on hot wash with cold rinse, and then dry on high. Realistically, it's just like washing towels that you've peed into.

Are they comfortable? Yes. You can layer and fold to make them thick where you want them and layered in a way that's right for you. I prefer the kite fold myself, and I'll usually add a few soaker layers into the middle, as well.

What do they feel like? Well, you know how disposables never feel wet until they're about to explode, and how they feel weird as you feel the liquid getting sucked away from your skin? Cloth doesn't do that. With cloth, you feel the liquid being absorbed into the cloth, which will feel damp afterward. Wet cloth also gets noticeably weightier. Personally, I absolutely LOVE that feel, and it sends me into heaven every time!

Do they hold well? Yes, absolutely. And if you feel as though they don't hold well enough, add more layers. Cloth is the only diaper type I'll wear to bed because I'm a heavy wetter and disposables all leak out the sides for me, even if I'm flat on my back.

Are they bulky? Yes. A "day-weight" cloth is as thick as an Abena or other quality disposable, and a "night-weight" diaper usually prohibits hearing of your normal pants. At least, that's the case for me, but then, I'm a heavy wetter, too.

All in all, I highly recommend cloth! They feel great, can be made as thick as you want or need, and aren't that much more work than disposables (both involve carrying a heavy load of diapers somewhere. Disposables go to the curb and cloth goes to the wash machine).

Thanks for your reply xbabyx. I might just try them for the week just to experience it although i will now need plastic pants and some kind of documentation on how to fold them etc. I guess ill have alot of research to do about the folds. Do you know of anywhere good that sells cloth diapers?

You are going to have to help me. I am looking at cloth diapers now and i am just wondering. Will i need to get a slightly bigger size in plastic pants? I need some guidance and help as this is a first for me, thanks.

Ginger

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGinger View Post
    Thanks for your reply xbabyx. I might just try them for the week just to experience it although i will now need plastic pants and some kind of documentation on how to fold them etc. I guess ill have alot of research to do about the folds. Do you know of anywhere good that sells cloth diapers?

You are going to have to help me. I am looking at cloth diapers now and i am just wondering. Will i need to get a slightly bigger size in plastic pants? I need some guidance and help as this is a first for me, thanks.

Ginger
    Babykins makes pretty good diapers, I've also seen some really good deals on ebay too! Stay away from the cheap Chinese stuff though, They are mostly for looks and not very functional.

As for plastic pants, It has been my experience that a larger size helps prevent leaks better, especially, the high back types.

I wear cloth every night they cost less than disposables after about two weeks,and generally hold more even more than an abena super-x. I like aios from yunyuan/nice-diaper.com, the ones from moma's baby pants are to rough. +1 on babykins. That and cloth is just more comfortable, and if using prefolds get a snapi to save middle of the night pricks.

Ginger
    Ah, right on.

First, I'll point you toward the All About Cloth Diapers article. It'll give you a basic primer of the types and shapes and care of cloth diapers.

As for diapers and plastic pants, I recommend adultclothdiaper.com. They have a good selection, the prices for flat squares are less than it would cost me for the fabric, and they have well-sized and affordable plastic pants. I'm afraid I don't know any European suppliers, though, if ACD doesn't work for you.

For folds, check out my earlier post. I didn't realize it was that hard to see when I did it, but the font where it says "kite fold" is actually a link. My fault it wasn't really visible before, so here it is again. And, here is a good pictorial guide to folding prefolds (although you can use it for flats just as easily).

As for sizing plastic pants, you will have to order larger than your pants waist size. Happily, they usually have a bit of stretch to them, but for sizing, take your waist size, add about 2-4 inches (5-10 cm) to account for the plastic pants, and use that number as your size. Also, measure your legs, as if you have big cyclist legs like I do, the leg size will be a factor.

That's all I can think of at the moment, anyways. Happy diapering!

Honestly I prefer disposable, but if I used cloth I think I'd like them much better after a few times

I wear pre-bold gauze diapers, both day weight and night. I don't have to deal with folding, and the night weight gauze holds a lot. I'm a 32 inch waste and buy small, because I need the legs to be tight enough. I get the Leakmaster high backs because they cover the whole diaper so I don't leak or wick into the bedding. It has worked very well for me.

I've got some cloth and they're really nice but to get the same absorbency that even the slim disposables I use have, I've got to go pretty bulky with the cloth. If you've got access to the laundry facilities, have at it though.

So, if it is possible, if you have any thoughts, opinions or ideas about this can you let me know? For example, are they comfortable? Does the continous washing get annoying? What do they feel like? Do they hold well? Are they bulky?
    couple of UK sites for products:
    Providing advice on incontinence and also provide information on prescription and non-prescription products which can be discreetly delivered to your home
    don't use the website to order, phone instead. while they're legit', their site and servces are a bit amateur. and, while they're based in Liverpool, you'll probably receive your goods later than you will with these:
    Reusable incontinence pants, incontinence pads and waterproof plastic pants, for children, teenagers and adults.

the possibilties with trads are endless and you could play about all day/year trying to perfect a feel, function and/or look.
    you can use any towel as a nappy. the pull-up nappies/pants (triple layered) from Home n Dry are good for night-time and you can always have a bog-standard nappy beneath them.

for a silky-smooth feel, use liners between skin and nappy (double the liner for true silky-smoothness).

size-wise, in pants (of any kind), i always go a size up as the designs and cuts are never adequate for size, shape and practicality. it's best to tackle leaks by bulking up the nappy, rather than going for tighter elastics on the plastic-pants.

absorbancy tends to relate to bulkiness, in trads: the greater the bulk, the greater the absorbancy.
    but, bulk can be a problem, in terms of comfort and mobility, so it's a matter of finding the right balance.

washing is as easy as throwing them in the washer and pressing a button. a pre-rinse is recommended, though.
    washing only used to be irksome, for me, when i was kid and had to do it all secretly.