Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving up achievement whoring.

Default Giving up achievement whoring.

Really, is there much to show for getting 10,000 kills in ranked matches in Gears of War, other than proof that one really did not have better things to do with his time in the meanwhile? I got Veteran Gear and Seriously 2.0 in Gears of War 2, but finally having them after countless hours of nonstop grinding was a rather unsatisfactory experience for me.

Games should be fun, and I believe that many of the achievements on various 360 games really do take the fun out of them. I have no problem going for full achievement completion on games where the achievements require actual skill. But if one has to find a party of like-minded people to waste countless hours doing exactly the same thing over and over again, for weeks or months on end, for a measly 50 gamerscore, that just does not seem worth the effort to me.

Then there are people who play simplistic games which offer no real challenge just because they have an easy 1,000 gamerscore. Is that really anything to be proud of?

I now believe that achievements and gamerscore really are not the greatest ideas that Microsoft ever came up with. Then again, it is Microsoft we are talking about.

Algorithm

I agree with what you say. Some achievements are ridiculously demanding while others are given too easily. However, in my case, I like the concept of achievements as it gives me some sort of goal when I play my games, and sometimes, it forces me to completely finish a game. As for gamerscore, I guess its only for bragging rights.

On Steam, there are achievements but no score. I like that system a lot!

Meh. I've always treated achievements as a background thing. A kinda "oh hey, that's neat" .. but I've never specifically tried to get one.

Naturally there are a lot of obsessive types out there who will go beyond what I would consider "fun" for the sake of getting some random achievement, and I agree this is kind of silly, but to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Col View Post
    On Steam, there are achievements but no score. I like that system a lot!
    I love steams achivement system. It's only personal achievements anyway.

I don't really take achievements seriously. (Well in my case, Trophies, PS3 ftw!) I only go for the ones that I stumble upon. But however, the only trophies I have ever taken seriously were the Black Ops zombies ones. The best thing I have ever played.

Ah yes, this is what I said. Games should be fun, and you should be able to relax because of them. I was a die hard Diablo fanatic, and I enjoyed the game. In retrospect, I spent a lot of time playing, and accomplished nothing else. Of course, it was my down time. Now I write, and I hope to get an agent when the novel is finished. At least I have something to show for my effort, and it gives me a lot of satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Ah yes, this is what I said. Games should be fun, and you should be able to relax because of them. I was a die hard Diablo fanatic, and I enjoyed the game. In retrospect, I spent a lot of time playing, and accomplished nothing else. Of course, it was my down time. Now I write, and I hope to get an agent when the novel is finished. At least I have something to show for my effort, and it gives me a lot of satisfaction.
    ... get Torchlight. Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 (both multiplayer) should be out within 2 years BTW.

I'm making it my personal mission to get dogboy back into gaming to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    ... get Torchlight. Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 (both multiplayer) should be out within 2 years BTW.

I'm making it my personal mission to get dogboy back into gaming to some extent.
    Haha...if it's anything like Diablo, I'm already addicted.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Haha...if it's anything like Diablo, I'm already addicted.
    Torchlight has been claimed to be a total ripoff of diablo by some.

The Escapist : Video Galleries : Zero Punctuation : Torchlight