Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Art?

Kip

Default Art?

I'm curious what kind of art members here like. By art, I mean paintings, sculptures, etc. Personally, I enjoy sculptures the most. I know of a couple of wonderful artists. One is Tim Cotterill. He is internationally known for his beautiful bronze sculptures of frogs and geckos. My dad told me about him last year. He went online and told me which on he wanted(Here), and I bought it for him as a Christmas present. Another artist I really like is Rick Satava. I noticed his art in a gallery when I was in Hawaii last year. He is known for his blown glass. I really like his blown-glass jellyfish. I haven't bought one yet because I can't afford it. As soon as I can, I will definitely buy one.

EDIT: I forgot one piece that I like. A company by the name of DNA 11 makes portraits of your fingerprints, DNA and your lips. I thought they were pretty cool. I saw them on The Today Show aand I have wanted to buy one for a long time.

My art is my cars, I just love to see well taken care of cars, old or new, I used to buy convertibles and never put the top down just because I like the way the car looked, I just love the shape of them.

I guess thats why all my cars look like museum peices, always clean and polished, I was told when I was a young guy, "Oh that will go away when you get older", but it never has, 2 of the 3 vehicles I own have never seen rain or snow, and probably will as long as I own them.

I like to think of music as my most appreciated form of art, which is partially why I am also an audiophile. My reproduction medium of choice is vinyl, although for budget concerns I am forced to live with CD quality for about 60% of my physical collection. I have many times more music in the form of .mp3's and .wav's on my external HDD library, but that is mostly for work at the radio station. .wav’s are alright if they're 24-bit, or 32-bit but few are unless you record them yourself. I HATE mp3's.

So, I guess then my favorite 'piece' at the moment is my 180 gram copy of The Flaming Lips, "At War With the Mystics," Although I would like to obtain a copy of “The Soft Bulletin,” it’s so rare and expensive that I can’t afford it right now ;(

Music here too.
    I can play bass guitar, drums and piano. I can sing modestly well too.
    I spend much time and effort on playing with my bands, seeing new ones, etc etc.

I've always liked stained glass artwork such as produced by Tiffany. We have about four reproduction Tiffany-style stained glass table lamps in our home and they're so beautiful with the light shining through at night. When I was growing up in Baltimore I used to pay attention to the different designs of stained glass used in transoms above windows and doors in the older rowhouses. Some blocks of houses were all constructed by the same builder and the transoms are all identical. Other blocks were filled out by different builders, and the stained glass windws differ from house to house. Back then, home builders were much more than that, they were artisans as well in how they designed the houses.

~Pramrider

Kip

Quote Originally Posted by Pramrider View Post
    I've always liked stained glass artwork such as produced by Tiffany. We have about four reproduction Tiffany-style stained glass table lamps in our home and they're so beautiful with the light shining through at night. When I was growing up in Baltimore I used to pay attention to the different designs of stained glass used in transoms above windows and doors in the older rowhouses. Some blocks of houses were all constructed by the same builder and the transoms are all identical. Other blocks were filled out by different builders, and the stained glass windws differ from house to house. Back then, home builders were much more than that, they were artisans as well in how they designed the houses.

~Pramrider
    I like glass as well. I don't know if you would consider it art or not, but my parent's own a lot of Waterford crystal. Off the top of my head, they have 8 wine glasses, 8 water glasses, a crystal decanter and a couple of vases. My dad also has this tradition. Every year, he buys my mom a Waterford crystal ornament for Christmas, so we have at least a dozen of those as well. They also have a couple of Baccarrat pieces as well. As for stained glass, we don't have very much, but I do know that they like it. In one of the houses they owned, my dad had two stain glass windows installed on either side of the fireplace. Sadly, they had to leave them when they sold the house.

For me, art is in photography. I enjoy the truth in all things, and you can't get more truthful art than pictures. Personally I do a lot of time-lapse photos, mostly of fire dancers, which is another art form, that of movement.

another form of art id like to bring to the table is that of ornamental weapons and armour, in particular the japanese katana.

hanwei in partnership with CAS-iberia is a modern steelworks company which manufactures a wide variety of weapons of quite good quality, and not all that expensive either considerng that quality.

their katanas and other samura implements are well constructed, and even the very cheapest of their range are pretty visually pleasing, and one would be a fool to disregard these swords, because they are QUITE good looking, both in decorations, and the quality of the blade itself, with the folded steel models the very edge has this faint set of lines like a wood grain,

some of the more visualy attractive pieces are as follows (japanese weapons)
    HanweiShop.com - Hanwei Bushido Katana Functional Hanwei Sword, Hanwei - Japanese Samurai, SH1210 the bushido katana

HanweiShop.com - Paper Crane Katana, Hanwei - Japanese Samurai, SH2294 the paper crane katana...
    HanweiShop.com - Paper Crane Wakizashi, Hanwei - Japanese Samurai, SH2328 and wakizashi (sidearm or short sword,) easly the most expensive katana in their range at US$3000

these are just two of the many hanwei katanas, i completely leave out many chinese and reneissence-period weapons

Art, for me comes in many shapes and forms.
    working in retail *sigh* as a visual merchandiser, you have to try and make art out of junk you wouldn't like to find in a 99c store, but, hey, its amazing what a splash of paint and a few accessories can do.

I enjoy art, but I really feel that nature is our greatest form of art. I can easily spend hours wandering around our local botanic gardens, listening to music and just admiring things that are made without effort, and are yet so beautiful. Music is pretty much my second favorite form of art, especially with songs that really mean something.

Artists such as Tori Amos and Annie Lennox are just amazing for having such powerful lyrics =D

anyway.
    my 2c.
    -davey.

My favorite type of art is the kind where it's an actual scene of something, unfortunately, most of the good examples are done by people who have been dead for a long time (Monet, Rembrant, Van Gogh, etc...). I can't stand the new 'modern' crap where the artist paints something that a toddler could do. To me, that just reeks of laziness or a lack of skill.