Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7-7 in UK - :(

Default 7-7 in UK - :(

Wasn't sure where to place this thread, but I just wanted to let our UK brothers and sisters know that we're thinking about them on this 6th anniversary of their version of 9-11. We're praying for you, and stay safe out there!

Thanks. My uncle would have been killed if he had missed the underground train he got on and sat in the same place on the next train.

-G

Quote Originally Posted by BabyJessi View Post
    Wasn't sure where to place this thread, but I just wanted to let our UK brothers and sisters know that we're thinking about them on this 6th anniversary of their version of 9-11. We're praying for you, and stay safe out there!
    Thanks - good thought.
    It wasn't really our 9-11 though - it didn't change people in the way that 9-11 seemed to change the way America thought. I think for most people it was just another terrorist attack, like the old IRA ones.
    I remember the 1st anniversary of 7/7 - we had a minutes silence in my office, and the media was full of commemorations - but today there was barely anything, the news was so caught up in the <i>News of the World</i> hacking scandal that it didn't really get a look in.

The BBC has a obit for each of the people killed on 7/7, you can see them here: BBC NEWS | INDEPTH | LONDON ATTACKS
    It really was a microcosm of London; men and women, Christians, Muslims, Jews, white Brits, immigrants and refugees...

Frm the YT comments: "Im not a huge Red Ken fan- but this speech was powerful, rational and right."

Quote Originally Posted by riddle View Post
    Thanks - good thought.
    It wasn't really our 9-11 though - it didn't change people in the way that 9-11 seemed to change the way America thought. I think for most people it was just another terrorist attack, like the old IRA ones.
    Yea, you are probably right. I think the real reason 9-11 was such a shock and game-changer in America is because we had never had anything like it on our own soil like you all had with the IRA attacks. This was a whole new eye-opening experience for us. I think a lot of Americans, particularly younger ones, were almost assuming it could never happen here, even though it was and still is on the news every day in other parts of the word. It was a real wake-up call to a lot of people to the fact that we're not invulnerable.

I think the real reason 9-11 was such a shock and game-changer in America is because we had never had anything like it on our own soil like you all had with the IRA attacks.
    What about Pearl Harbour? Or is that different because it doesn't count as mainland?

(Sorry if this comes across as synical or sarcastic, I am being sincere I'm just tired and can't think of any other way to word this at the moment)

P.S. Thanks for thinking of us today =)

Yea, you are probably right. I think the real reason 9-11 was such a shock and game-changer in America is because we had never had anything like it on our own soil like you all had with the IRA attacks. This was a whole new eye-opening experience for us. I think a lot of Americans, particularly younger ones, were almost assuming it could never happen here, even though it was and still is on the news every day in other parts of the word. It was a real wake-up call to a lot of people to the fact that we're not invulnerable.
    9-11 felt the same way to a lot of people around the world, as well as Americans. The terrorists planned 9-11 as a spectacular - to kill 1000s in one go, destroy buildings, planes as missiles. The 7/7 attacks although it was big death toll for a single day, 52 people dying just doesn't have the same impact. It did increase the paranoia and anti-Muslim hostility in the UK, but those things were already there after 9-11.

---------- Post added at 01:20 ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownRelevance View Post
    What about Pearl Harbour? Or is that different because it doesn't count as mainland?

(Sorry if this comes across as synical or sarcastic, I am being sincere I'm just tired and can't think of any other way to word this at the moment)

P.S. Thanks for thinking of us today =)
    Pearl Harbour was different for two reasons, 1) Hawaii wasn't a US state at the time, although it was American territory, so "US soil" by a strict definition wasn't attacked, plus it's a 1000 of miles out in the middle of the pacific, and 2) It was a US Navy base, so a military target and not a civilian one.

I thought about Pearl Harbor, but there are several reasons it's not the same, IMO.

1. Not mainland
    2. Not a 'terrorist' attack
    3. Most are not old enough to remember it enough for it to have an effect.

Pearl Harbor was an attack by a country, and we immediately knew exactly who did it, and how to respond. After all, a world war was already going on. 9-11 was out of the blue and on two of what we think as our most secure cities, it just left us in a shock we'd never felt before and completely not knowing who and why.

---------- Post added at 19:27 ---------- Previous post was at 19:21 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by riddle View Post
    Pearl Harbour was different for two reasons, 1) Hawaii wasn't a US state at the time, although it was American territory, so "US soil" by a strict definition wasn't attacked, plus it's a 1000 of miles out in the middle of the pacific, and 2) It was a US Navy base, so a military target and not a civilian one.
    Good thoughts... I hadn't thought about the military/civilian target angle. I had also not thought about Hawaii not being a state yet, but your absolutely right on that as well. It didn't become a state until nearly 20yrs later. (1959)

Thanks for clarifying =)

I guess the war against the japs became a "stright fight" after that. Where as terrorism is much more sneaky, underhand and cowardly to say the least. And I realise I'm making understatements there

I've never heard of 7/7 Maybe because i was 7 when it happened O.o

I had also not thought about Hawaii not being a state yet, but your absolutely right on that as well. It didn't become a state until nearly 20yrs later. (1959)
    Also, didn't we own the island at some point too? Or did I dream that up from somewhere?