Thread: Another from the UK

Default Another from the UK

Greetings all. I'm feeling a bit nervous about plunging in to such an active community, but, well, here goes...

I'm a professional geek in the south of the UK. Not the "turn it off and on again" kind, but the "making computers flash lights and do cool stuff" kind. I work for a technology company, where I get to be geeky and get paid for it! I like being able to dig down in to the minutiae of details, and get things working.

I have vivid memories of being a bed-wetter when I was little; probably around the age 5 or 6. I was simultaneously embarrassed about having to still wear nappies at my age (amid much teasing from my brother), but also secretly enjoyed wearing them in bed. Unfortunately for my parents, sometimes my "games" would involve me taking them off, and not being able to put them back on again (oops)! Once I stopped having to wear them to bed the DL grew seamlessly from there. I remember making my own pair of plastic pants out of a carrier bag, a few times.

Even though it was embarrassing, with hindsight I remember feeling secure and safe once I was wearing my nappy. I think it's that aspect that I'm recapturing when I wear them now. I go through phases (sometimes years) where I forget all about being a DL, but it always comes back.

Anyway, when I'm not talking computer-speak, nor wearing, I like to go against the geek stereotype by hiking, visiting nice places and taking photographs (abroad if necessary), road cycling (and a bit of MTB, too) and snowboarding. On the slightly geeky side my social group like to play so-called Euro-games, like Carcassone et. al. I also try to be a good role model for my niece and my friends' recent offspring. I come across as an extrovert, but am actually quite shy internally.

Hi there, welcome to the site!

I am unofficially a professional geek in the south of the UK - as in I was officially one last year, and will be again in September. However, I do very little cool stuff, just write programs that make businesses lots of money... :-(

Anyway, when I'm not talking computer-speak, nor wearing, I like to go against the geek stereotype by hiking, visiting nice places and taking photographs (abroad if necessary), road cycling (and a bit of MTB, too) and snowboarding.
    You'd be surprised how many of my colleagues last year were into those things too... it's really quite an outdated stereotype nowadays! I enjoy a good hike (when I can be bothered to move... :-p ). I also have an interest in photography, but don't have the money for the right sort of kit!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the site - you can make whatever you want of it - some of us are regular contributors, some of us pop in and out - you've taken the first step, and now the future is yours to be crafted!

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore View Post
    You'd be surprised how many of my colleagues last year were into those things too... it's really quite an outdated stereotype nowadays! I enjoy a good hike (when I can be bothered to move... :-p ). I also have an interest in photography, but don't have the money for the right sort of kit!
    Thanks for the welcome, Eeyore. Yes, it is an out-dated stereotype, at least to those of us "on the inside", but I think the public at large still have that perception to some degree.

I used to have the correct kit for photography: SLR camera, array of lens and such, and I really enjoyed using it. But it took film, and was rendered obsolete when digital cameras became affordable. I realised that my new digital compact camera took better pics than my "pro" camera, and I haven't used the latter since. Oh well, one day I'll get around to buying a proper DSLR, until then I manage to take reasonably arty pics with my compact ... I just takes lots and lots, and delete the rubbish ones!

I'm still surprised that I like snowboarding, and the other active pursuits: I'm quite fear averse, but somehow I manage to slowly push back my boundaries to accommodate them.

A camera is in essence a box with a hole that lets in a moment of light. When I took pictures (some of which got sold ) it was great practice to see what one could do just with lighting, composition...

Geekiness is all over the place here, we are full of not just computer-related types but artists, writers, and those geeks, as well as techies. Aaaah tis a wonderful life.