Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hey.. im new here..

sociologygeek

Default hey.. im new here..

Hey..im a 25 year old guy with some incon problems.. im also a recovering DL

sociologygeek, eh?

Let me see what I can remember from A-Level...hmm, what are your views on Durkheim's functionalist paradigm of society? Or him more generally while we're at it? I find his work on suicide quite interesting and he did a lot to legitimise sociology within academia but I can't see I agree with him on much and I don't see the advantage in over-emphasizing quantitative research and a positivist epistemology as he did. Fair enough, he favoured a scientific method, but there is always room for ethnography and analysis in any of the social sciences and you can't get away from the irrationality of human motivation and action entirely. As a general point, I always find conflict models more interesting to study anyway though, so I'm probably a tad biased against him.

Also, welcome!

OMG another way to say "bullshit". I always thought those -ologies were jargon-filled hocus-pocus meant only to allow the academics to get more grant money. . .

No, really, i DO believe in them, mostly.

Anyway, welcome to our community. Jump in wherever you feel like, and become one of us.
    Last edited by skinnypuppy; 23-Jul-2008 at 22:17. Reason: i wonder how long it will take to get negrep for that off-the-wall comment

You guys make me feel so... Stupid! Oh well, I'll just stick to math...

Have fun on the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    Recovering?
    http://forums.mystery-axiom.com/images/smilies/whs0be.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Jaiden View Post
    sociologygeek, eh?

Let me see what I can remember from A-Level...hmm, what are your views on Durkheim's functionalist paradigm of society? Or him more generally while we're at it? I find his work on suicide quite interesting and he did a lot to legitimise sociology within academia but I can't see I agree with him on much and I don't see the advantage in over-emphasizing quantitative research and a positivist epistemology as he did. Fair enough, he favoured a scientific method, but there is always room for ethnography and analysis in any of the social sciences and you can't get away from the irrationality of human motivation and action entirely. As a general point, I always find conflict models more interesting to study anyway though, so I'm probably a tad biased against him.

Also, welcome!
    Fascinating, Captain Jaiden. *arches one eyebrow, Spocklike.*
    Last edited by Raccoon; 24-Jul-2008 at 04:02.

hey i never learned anyones functionalist paradigm of society....
    regardless, if its really a great theory or hypothesis or helps u avoid parking tickets, germs, or rude selfish ppl, i wish u all the best as a DL living a great life despite any theories "they" might have on "us".
    cheers!

~ Will

sociologygeek

When i say recovering..i mean i dont want to be a DL..but..since developing some incontinence.. i have no choice but to wear diapers..but id rather not