Thread: Why am i becoming so emotional?

Default Why am i becoming so emotional?

I blame Adisc! (EDIT: OK, I don't Blame Adisc)

I have always been a sensitive/compassionate guy. But i have been feeling like i am on the verge of crying for completely random reasons lately. Especially when on Adisc. I was just reading the "Resignation at gunpoint" thread and felt like crying. Even in the "0 High School" RP, the story is actually upsetting me IRL.

I don't know if it is just the "little" coming out in me. Or if i need to spend some time away from Adisc for a while or what?
    Last edited by LilMonkeyAlex; 05-Jul-2011 at 09:16.

EmLamby

You might be depressed... I've never been sad because of ADISC (Aside from a few troll encounters).
    *Pats back* The world sucks man. Just take care of yourself and the ones that you love.

I don't think it's depression. It just seems like things have been affecting me more than they used to and in some cases, more than they should lately. It's not that i am getting sad, its more that i am getting upset for others and feeling their pain.

if you are getting upset, or emotional about people on here or events on here or whatever, take a break from here. when you decide your break is over, the site will still be here welcoming you back with open arms.

Quote Originally Posted by ABalex View Post
    I don't think it's depression. It just seems like things have been affecting me more than they used to and in some cases, more than they should lately. It's not that i am getting sad, its more that i am getting upset for others and feeling their pain.
    Is there anything in your personal life that you should be sad about, but for some reason aren't? Sometimes, when we're upset about something but don't allow ourselves to express it, we find a different target for that emotion and make it a proxy. For example, before I came out about being bi, I had a lot of pent up stress and no way to express it. What I'd do (I now realize the pattern, didn't then) was find someone else with a problem and allow myself to get upset over it. I needed to feel sadness as an emotion due to my own inner stress, but I needed a reason for it that I could acknowledge publicly.

Not saying that this is what you're doing. But it could be possible.

Have you had anything happen to you high on the Holmes and Rahe scale? Sometimes, we have a shit-ton of stress in our lives over a significant thing, but in an effort to preserve sanity, we try to meter its release rather than just letting it all pour out at once. In reality, what tends to happen is that our stress waits until a suitable proxy comes along- say you heard on the news a burgeoning scholar-athlete at a high school two states away was killed by a drunk driver. Once that does, we use that proxy as an outlet for stress. You'll be bawling over the loss of an existence you were previously unaware of and would otherwise be largely unmoved by.
    Last edited by AEsahaettr; 05-Jul-2011 at 09:18.

Nightfox, i don't know if anyone has ever told you this, but your one smart cookie. Last Friday i had two VERY stressful events occur and they both happened within three hours of each other and i had had very little sleep in the day and a half leading up to it. Maybe i still have not gotten over those events. And i have been "laughing" about what happened and stressing out over other things that don't matter.

One of the situations has resolved itself, the other one is still bothering me. I have wanted to post about it in a blog or something, but it is something that would give me away instantly if a family member/friend happened upon it on Adisc. So i have to keep it to myself for now.

No problem. Like I said, this isn't uncommon, and a lot of people do it. I've also had some training and experience in the past as a counselor, so I've encountered people who do this.

Some things to be aware of:

This isn't a healthy way to deal with stress. I'm not chiding you, as I know you're not consciously doing this (and I'm also not a sadist). But you need to learn to recognize this in the future. The problem is that it'll be hard to recognize you're doing this unless you do so multiple times and notice the pattern. You need to be conscious of this in the future, especially when there's a major source of stress in your life (be it positive or negative).

This can cause emotional problems in a number of different ways. First off, now in addition to having stress from a base even, now you've managed to get your stress generating interest on itself. Knowing that when there are heady interpersonal issues in your life is a bad time to watch Old Yeller will help. As will just knowing why you're so stressed out over something (the proxy) that you shouldn't be stressed out over.

Also, if stress in rain, then getting emotional is a storm drain. Block the storm drains and you'll cause flood damage to every building in the area. Failing to have adequate emotional outlets for stress and bottling it up instead is a major root cause of mental disease. To take an extreme example, it's how split personalities occur (say you're raped and are completely unable to deal with the emotions after, you might subconsciously create an alternate personality which will feel those emotions for you). Now this is an extremely rare occurrence, but there are more common examples. Say your genes have it in the cards that you'll start suffering progressive dementia at age 65. A lifelong failure to deal with stress in a healthy way may mean than now, that process will start at 55 or even 45.

Now please don't lose sleep over what I've said. Recognition is the hardest part and you seem to be past this. If you have the means, I suggest seeing a psychologist who specializes in stress. It doesn't need to be a forever thing. But find a therapist who deals with stress, and see if you can have 4-5 sessions to explore how you deal with stress and to develop some better mechanisms to cope. It's sure as hell a lot easier than figuring it out on your own, in my opinion!

---------- Post added at 05:26 ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ABalex View Post
    I have wanted to post about it in a blog or something, but it is something that would give me away instantly if a family member/friend happened upon it on Adisc. So i have to keep it to myself for now.
    If you wish, you can go to the Established Contributors forum. Even if you had a family member or friend stumble their way into ADISC, seeing the EC forum would require they register an account and make 20 posts. Unless they're one of us, I find that extremely unlikely. Though of course, you need to be the judge. If that chance (regardless of size) will cause you more stress than talking about this issue here, then by all means skip it.

To draw a parallel, I'm starting to write what's going to (hopefully!) be my first publication in a scientific journal. If it gets published, I plan to put a Hooray! article in the DC/TC forum (there's a super-secret forum for Distinguished and Established Contributors). I'd only put it there because my dancing on the bartop will likely reveal enough information to find out my name, contact information for my supervisor, and the school where I'm doing my graduate degree. Everything we put on this site goes through a risk-reward formula that's unique to each of us, so I understand your reticence on the issue. But do realize if you have something that you want to share, we do have a place with an added layer of security on it in the EC forum.

---------- Post added at 05:27 ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 ----------

Also, you could be pregnant.

Just tossing that out there.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
    Also, you could be pregnant.

Just tossing that out there.
    That would be a whole new level of stress and freaked out.... (see gender)