Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting files from a OLD desktop to something newer.

Default Getting files from a OLD desktop to something newer.

I know this is mostly a game related section, But I am hoping someone here is smarter than I am when it comes down to computers, I need to pull some simple files off an old desktop. I has win 98 on it or something of that line. The problem is. My USB sticks will not read on them, something about the drivers, nor will my external DVD burner. I have hooked it up to the internet, but its so old that even yahoo mail will not load. Anyone have a idea as to how, I can get these files off this computer onto something newer. They are old chat logs from yahoo for a custody case in case someone is wondering. I can view them on the computer but have no way of getting them OFF the hard drive on to something I can print them off on. It does have a 3.5 disk drive on it and a cd-rom drive. Or am I just stuck, I dont know too much about computers. So ANY help would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by jambi66441 View Post
    I know this is mostly a game related section, But I am hoping someone here is smarter than I am when it comes down to computers, I need to pull some simple files off an old desktop. I has win 98 on it or something of that line. The problem is. My USB sticks will not read on them, something about the drivers, nor will my external DVD burner. I have hooked it up to the internet, but its so old that even yahoo mail will not load. Anyone have a idea as to how, I can get these files off this computer onto something newer. They are old chat logs from yahoo for a custody case in case someone is wondering. I can view them on the computer but have no way of getting them OFF the hard drive on to something I can print them off on. It does have a 3.5 disk drive on it and a cd-rom drive. Or am I just stuck, I dont know too much about computers. So ANY help would be welcome. Thanks in advance.
    I'd first try the USB stick with a crossover cable, (they are usually 18" long) looks like an extension USB lead. Failing that, remove the hard drive and slave it on a newer computer, don't forget to set the bios to find it.

Get a external hard drive and use it to copy mass files from one system to another. Afterwards it can be used as crash protection or extra storage.

Yahoo is more likely balking at your browswer than your computer. If you download a more current browser (and if that can run), you should be able to mail your documents or upload them elsewhere for file storage and retrieval.

If the old computer does USB (can't remember is win98 supported USB, and a lot of computers around that time didn't come with it anyway), then as others have said, your best bet is to get a cheap USB thumb drive and use that to copy the files over. 8GB and up ones can be had in the $20 range.

Failing that, it gets a little more complicated. You can pull out the drive from the old one and stick it in your new computer (if you are comfortable with that), or if the computer is on a network and not just directly connected to the internet, you can probably find a few tools that still run on that computer and will let you copy the files over the network. If you have a friend with a server, you can also FTP the files there from the old computer and then download them from the new computer (assuming internet actually did work).

Chances are your computer can read floppy drives so try that.
    A much easier solution would be updating your browser and copy the chat files to a cloud. (Googles cloud is easiest, create a gmail account then go to google homepage and click on 'more' from the tabs on top. From there click 'docs or documents'. From there you cab upload files from your old computer and view them on your new one. If all else fails take out your HDD and get an external reader.

IIRC USB support was not available until win 98 SE so if you are not using that version the usb ports are probably a no go. if the logs are small enough floppy disks would work there also used to be parallel port cables that could be used for file sharing. If the drive has a working cd drive you can try a Linux live disk. boot the linux os using the cd and use the browser to email your files or share them across the network (assuming the computer has an Ethernet port).

If all else fails take the hard drive out of the old desktop and put it in the new computer if it is a desktop computer just open the case and hook it up you may need to change the jumper on the old drive from master to slave if the new computer uses the IDE connector for the system drive but it most likely is using the SATA slot so you can just hook the drive up hopefully the board has at least one IDE port still. If it is a laptop you will need to get a usb caddy to hook the drive up to and plug in via use (or just find a friend with a desktop and use his/hers to get the files off).
    Last edited by xolyshaxo; 01-Jul-2011 at 15:54. Reason: typo

I'm assuming that since it's a windows 98 you could use a floppy disk on it? Find a converter and just use a floppy disk.

Just get the usher mass storage device drive . Download it from somewhere and then simply just install and use the Uzbekistan drive that everyone keeps mentioning. Alternativly you can try using the mobile version of hotmail or something...dunno but you have options.

can't say i'm smarter, but i have fiddled about a bit. and i understand that older PCs and OSs will have trouble handling today's java-junked-up, flashy, widgeted internet.
    so, if you have access to the internet through a more modern computer, use that for any USB drivers you may need (take a note of whatever pop-up info occurs when you plug in to your old PC). you can find the drivers via your newer PC, save the drivers to USB and then transfer to the old).
    free drivers and guides: Win98 SE

it's also worth checking that your sticks are compatible. though not strictly much of an issue, some of the more modern sticks have filing structures which are a bit, erm, temperamental.
    i have an old mp3 player (128mb, that's how old it is) that works flawlessly as a flash drive, where newer ones often die.

you could also burn a cd/dvd by using a spare cd/dvd writeable drive (or borrowing from your newer pc), though you could get driver/compatibility issues arising, putting you back to square one.

and then, we come to ripping out the old HDD. no doubt, connectors will be different, but that's all fixable.
    if you're computing on a budget, a worthwile investment may be something like USB 2.0 to IDE Adaptor : USB Adaptors : Maplin
    you can access your current old drive through it and, for the future (as TV PVRs seem to using the old stock of HDDs), can be used for salvaged HDDs (for your storage needs).