Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Definitions of furry terms

  1. #1

    Default Definitions of furry terms

    I don't know very much about furry terminology. I bet I'm not alone in this. Any of you "veteran furries" wanna explain the definitions of the terms you use? The definitions I've gotten from other places on the net seem vague and conflicting.

    I'm particularly curious whether there is a term to distinguish completely anthropomorphized characters like "Bugs Bunny" from anatomically accurate animals with human speech and mannerisms like "Thumper" from Bambi. I've heard that "anthro" can refer to either of the two.

  2. #2

    Default

    Anthro usually means bipedal talking animals. Thumper would be considered feral because he's a normal bunny.

  3. #3

    Default

    Fire away and I'll do my best to answer :3

  4. #4

  5. #5

    Default

    You can probably use this to find answers to most of your questions, but like others have said, feel free to ask here. ^_^

    WikiFur, the furry encyclopedia

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by KitsBunny View Post
    I don't know very much about furry terminology. I bet I'm not alone in this. Any of you "veteran furries" wanna explain the definitions of the terms you use? The definitions I've gotten from other places on the net seem vague and conflicting.

    I'm particularly curious whether there is a term to distinguish completely anthropomorphized characters like "Bugs Bunny" from anatomically accurate animals with human speech and mannerisms like "Thumper" from Bambi. I've heard that "anthro" can refer to either of the two.
    Thumper is anthropomorphic from a literal sense, in that he can speak English (a human trait) and is an animal.

    In "furry" terms, he's feral because he's anatomically a bunny, regardless of his capability to speak.

    Bugs has both the proportions (more or less) and the voice of a human, so he would be referred to as anthro.

    To summarise: theoretically they are both anthro, because they are non-humans with human traits, however furry colloquialisms of anthro and feral refer more to the body shape of the animal, and the more anatomically correct it is, the more feral it is.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Maxicoon View Post
    Anthro usually means bipedal talking animals. Thumper would be considered feral because he's a normal bunny.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zephy View Post
    To summarise: theoretically they are both anthro, because they are non-humans with human traits, however furry colloquialisms of anthro and feral refer more to the body shape of the animal, and the more anatomically correct it is, the more feral it is.
    Yes, I like that way of thinking. "Anthro" seems to make sense to me when it's applied to fully anthropomorphized characters like Bugs Bunny.

    My fursona usually has a fully bunny body, like Thumper. I like to idea of referring to that as "feral", but I don't know if that's the most correct way of describing it.


    This Furtopia thread: http://forums.furtopia.org/index.php?topic=30514.0 presents the definitions differently.

    The consensus there seems to be that "anthro" refers to anything nonhuman that has any human characteristics. And feral refers to having an animalistic mind (like a werewolf, or someone raised in the wild like Mogli).

    I'm not sure if there really are definitions for these terms. But I was wondering what the most popular usages are. Is WikiFur considered the authority on furry stuff?


    Quote Originally Posted by Goodnites11 View Post
    You can probably use this to find answers to most of your questions, but like others have said, feel free to ask here. ^_^

    WikiFur, the furry encyclopedia
    Thanks.
    BTW...how do you cover your urls with text? The link looks much better without the web address written out.

  8. #8

    Default

    There is no official authority on furry stuff. That being said, wikifur will usually get you the definition that most fits the general consensus.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by KitsBunny View Post
    Thanks.
    BTW...how do you cover your urls with text? The link looks much better without the web address written out.
    Basically, when you add a hyperlink you'll have an open URL tag [in brackets] that includes the actual web address, and a close URL tag [/in brackets]. Between those tags ( [brackets] HERE [/brackets] ) you can delete what's there and add your own text.

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Goodnites11 View Post
    Basically, when you add a hyperlink you'll have an open URL tag [in brackets] that includes the actual web address, and a close URL tag [/in brackets]. Between those tags ( [brackets] HERE [/brackets] ) you can delete what's there and add your own text.
    Alternatively, write the word you want to appear, then highlight it, then click the globe with a chain and it'll make it a link.

Similar Threads

  1. Coming to terms...
    By Fire_lupine06 in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 14-Jan-2010, 16:09
  2. Fitting diapers definitions?
    By LilpawsGHuskypup in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-Jan-2010, 16:08
  3. Terms of use advice?
    By BitterGrey in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-Apr-2008, 03:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.