Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Privacy

MrAwesome

Thumbs down No Privacy

Have you ever found that living with family means you get hardly any privacy at all? See, I'm a singer and a keyboard player, I'm dedicated and I love it all.. It's just my Step Dad always tells me to shut up because he's watching TV. My Mum always walks in on me when I'm singing or playing so I get embarrassed or I'm recording a video and she ruins it by interrupting. OR, my little sister just walks in and tells me to stop practising because it's getting annoying. It's just so frustrating. I wish my room was soundproof and had a lock, either that or I had my own place to practise that's away from home life. It's, well, meh :-(

staple egg cartons to your wall

instant soundproofing

alu

i have the same-ish problem. I can't sit in my room for 5 mins without my sister asking for/about something,or my mother wanting me to do something. This also makes it harder for me to let out my TB side when i want.

If you don't want anyone walking in because you're recording, put a thing on your door.

You could make a sign, or just use a sock and tell them what it means.

If they still don't listen, wedge a rubber soled shoe between the bottom of the door and the floor. Instant lock.

I don't think living in a soundproof room would be nice. I've found small rooms with lots of sound absorption to be really uncomfortable to be in.
    I think we use echo a lot more than we realise to map out the space we are in. My eyes tell me I am in a room and my ears tell me I am in a field and I feel kind of claustrophobic and queasy. Totally off topic but some blind people have taught themselves echolocation to assist with mobility. How cool is that?

Sorry inner science geek coming out. Gotta stop that.

Maybe your school has some practise rooms you can use? Living in a shared house is always going to need compromise, whether you share with parents, siblings, flatmates, partner or your children. Your singing obviously affects them. You will only reach a real solutions by talking about it with them and agreeing to some compromises. Maybe they don't realise how important singing is to you and after discussion they may agree to a certain period each day when you are free from distractions. After all if they know something is going to end in an hour it is easier to 'endure'. Also try to see their point of view, to them your singing affects their privacy. They are finding it difficult to do the activity they have chosen. Ok it might not be your choice but it is their right to to watch bad tv or read or chat to friends or whatever.
    And maybe the compromise might include an expensive electric keyboard with good headphones, that couldn't be bad.

pepsicolaisgreat

I get embarrassed when someone walks on me while I'm singing too. And yes even though I live on my own, I'm only about 2 houses down from my parents and my mom almost always walks into my house without knocking.

I guess it's fair because I just walk in too her house without knocking. I just find it natural to not knock before entering and even find it weird to knock on the door of a house I just use to walk in all the time.

I really shouldn't be embarrassed by my singing though because my parents heard it on a cd and they loved it.

I didn't even tell them it was me. So before they even knew. They said wow that guys a great singer. I then told them it was me.

And my aunt even complimented me on my singing voice. I'm actually good enough to sign a singing contract and I've been offered. But I turned it down because I don't want to be famous as I would definitely have no private life then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikrit View Post
    staple egg cartons to your wall

instant soundproofing
    I suspect this was mostly meant to be humorous, but just felt I should say in case it wasn't this won't actually work ;p

Way more difficult than just putting up some absorption material. Helped a friend do his basement .. we made a second wall with studs staggered and separated by acoustic caulking, special insulation, and this special material that is basically drywall with lead in it. He also ended up doing something with the ceiling, but I wasn't there for that.

To the original question, as others have pointed out, you will either have to come to a compromise (you should be allowed to do your thing, but at the same time others in the household are entitled to a little quiet). Failing that, find a space outside the home... or just tough it out until you get your own place

Smurftastic

I have kinda have that Problem, Our doors do have locks, but when you just kinda look at it for a while, you're like what the heck, You could pick it with a freakin screwdriver or just your fingernail.And i'd just be reading or something, With the lock physically turned and some one will just walk in and I'm like WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING IN HERE???!!! Most of our doors are like this. Seriously, Who the heck thought it was a good idea to put such crappy locks on a door?

Quote Originally Posted by Smurftastic View Post
    I have kinda have that Problem, Our doors do have locks, but when you just kinda look at it for a while, you're like what the heck, You could pick it with a freakin screwdriver or just your fingernail.And i'd just be reading or something, With the lock physically turned and some one will just walk in and I'm like WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING IN HERE???!!! Most of our doors are like this. Seriously, Who the heck thought it was a good idea to put such crappy locks on a door?
    I'm assuming these are just privacy locks.. the same kind they put on bathroom doors. They arn't there to secure your room from determined intruders.. they are just there to prevent someone unknowingly walking in at the wrong moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Smurftastic View Post
    On interior doors, that's the standard. They're typically called Privacy Locks, meaning that you can "lock" the door, or rather, restrict the knob from being turned, as a sign that you don't want to be disturbed. However, they are specifically designed to be opened, either via a screwdriver or a button that can be pushed only by a pin. Privacy locks are actually intended as a safety device while still allowing some measure of privacy, as if, say, a toddler were to lock the door, the parents could still easily unlock the door, thus keeping the toddler from dunking his head in the toilet or climbing out the window or something stupid.

Since you're older, you could probably stand to put an actual keyed knob on your door. Ordinarily I would never recommend a lock that's available at Lowe's or Home Depot, as for actual home security those are pretty crappy and mostly decorative, but for an interior door where you're just seeking a bit of added privacy, a $15 Kwikset key-in-knob lock set would do just fine for your purposes. So, go spend the $15 on a door knob that locks with a key, and then make sure no one else gets the keys.

Of course, the caveats regarding parents and whatnot apply here, as they might take issue with you putting an actual lock on your door, or at least wonder if you're up to something illegal or no-good.