Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is Normal?

Default What is Normal?

Lately, I've been having a lot of deep thoughts. A lot of deep thoughts about a lot of different things. But one of the thoughts is about the word "normal." Ever since I hit puberty, this word has stood out to me. I want to be normal. That's what made it stand out. The desire to be normal.

But, yet, I have never been able to make myself feel normal. Before I figured out my sexual orientation or when I figured out I was a TB, or even when I found out I was a furry, I could never feel normal.

Now my question is, what is normal?

Normal:
    Conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.

According to a dictionary, this is normal. But what is 'usual' or 'typical' or 'expected?'

With the way society is today, there are so many different forms of the word 'normal' that the word should hardly be one word at all, but an entire novel of words. I've heard so many people saying things like 'abnormal' or 'that's not normal' but how do we know it's not normal? What, ultimately, is the base for the word normal? How do we judge it?

In my opinion, normal neither exists, nor should it exist. Don't we all strive to be our own human beings? Strive to be separate from the human race but also together with it? Isn't it against our nature to want to be the same? If it is, then why do we have the word normal?

Just my thoughts... and I really hope I don't sound like I'm ranting >.<

In my eyes, something is "normal" if it is what the majority of society conform to. So ABDL is not "normal" as it is in no way a majority behaviour. But by that logic, "normal" is constantly changing, and not always for the best... certainly in the UK there is a lot of "normal" behaviour from teenagers that would never have happened when I was a young teen!

However, personally I see the norm as something I might coincidentally conform to - but I don't go out searching for ways to be "normal" - I am my own self, and I act like I want to act! But, in a social species such as humans, acting "normal" avoids ostracising yourself from people... which in the long term means finding a mate to prolong the species. So conforming to a "norm" is ideally a way to surround yourself with potential mates...

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore View Post
    In my eyes, something is "normal" if it is what the majority of society conform to. So ABDL is not "normal" as it is in no way a majority behaviour. But by that logic, "normal" is constantly changing, and not always for the best... certainly in the UK there is a lot of "normal" behaviour from teenagers that would never have happened when I was a young teen!

However, personally I see the norm as something I might coincidentally conform to - but I don't go out searching for ways to be "normal" - I am my own self, and I act like I want to act! But, in a social species such as humans, acting "normal" avoids ostracising yourself from people... which in the long term means finding a mate to prolong the species. So conforming to a "norm" is ideally a way to surround yourself with potential mates...
    But you don't understand what I'm saying... the way we grow up we grow up to believe that the beliefs of our area and generally our family are the norm, so when we meet people that grew up in a different place with a different lifestyle we consider them to be abnormal.

Butterfly Mage

While "normal" people have better social acceptance, most of the amazing things that move humanity forward are not done by "normal" people but instead are done by exceptional people that are often persecuted.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyFox View Post
    But you don't understand what I'm saying... the way we grow up we grow up to believe that the beliefs of our area and generally our family are the norm, so when we meet people that grew up in a different place with a different lifestyle we consider them to be abnormal.
    Apologies, but I didn't get that from your OP at all...

In my opinion, normal neither exists, nor should it exist. Don't we all strive to be our own human beings? Strive to be separate from the human race but also together with it? Isn't it against our nature to want to be the same? If it is, then why do we have the word normal?
    I answered it with my opinion...

As for the idea of our area - it boils down again to primitive behaviour. The world has been constantly getting smaller - wheel/boat/telegram/phone/radio/tv/train/car/plane/internet - each iteration brings more and more people together. But when we lived in caves, we had a very small circle of people around us - if an outside group invaded, the response is to fight to protect your own cave from "outsiders". This has echoed throughout the ages, humans invade countries we think are weaker and different to us - the Indian and African plantations and slave trade for example - and the racist propaganda just highlighted the differences in societies.

Even nowadays, if you go abroad on holiday, the "rituals" and customs of a different place can seem strange and confusing. It simply boils down to nature and nurture. If you are brought up around a fairly stable set of principles and behaviour, anyone who does not embody this will seem different from your "normal" situation.

As for ABDL, it's just that with the interconnectivity in the world, we have developed a larger catchment area to define "normal" people with. In a smaller society, it would still be less practised by the remaining members, but wouldn't seem as "abnormal" as compared to the whole world...

As an aside, I think saying someone is different from your "normal" is much more acceptable than claiming they are "abnormal" - I just feel the semantics are different...

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore View Post
    Apologies, but I didn't get that from your OP at all...

I answered it with my opinion...

As for the idea of our area - it boils down again to primitive behaviour. The world has been constantly getting smaller - wheel/boat/telegram/phone/radio/tv/train/car/plane/internet - each iteration brings more and more people together. But when we lived in caves, we had a very small circle of people around us - if an outside group invaded, the response is to fight to protect your own cave from "outsiders". This has echoed throughout the ages, humans invade countries we think are weaker and different to us - the Indian and African plantations and slave trade for example - and the racist propaganda just highlighted the differences in societies.

Even nowadays, if you go abroad on holiday, the "rituals" and customs of a different place can seem strange and confusing. It simply boils down to nature and nurture. If you are brought up around a fairly stable set of principles and behaviour, anyone who does not embody this will seem different from your "normal" situation.

As for ABDL, it's just that with the interconnectivity in the world, we have developed a larger catchment area to define "normal" people with. In a smaller society, it would still be less practised by the remaining members, but wouldn't seem as "abnormal" as compared to the whole world...

As an aside, I think saying someone is different from your "normal" is much more acceptable than claiming they are "abnormal" - I just feel the semantics are different...
    *Shrugs* I honestly don't really call anyone abnormal >.< I abandoned the word normal along time ago because I'm far from it :P

I guess the post I made quoting you was kinda pointless... I did make this post to hear other's opinions on the word normal XD

There are almost 7 billion people in the world at the moment. That is 7 billion individuals, all of whom are different, the interaction between these individuals, is made easier by cultural conventions which allow people to be more aware of the similarities than the differences. These conventions vary considerably from community to community. I do not believe that any of these conventions can be considered to be either intrinsically right or wrong, nor can one communities values and conventions be imposed on another. These conventions only have value in the culture in which they evolved. The more a person conforms to the conventions of the culture in which they live the more normal they are. This of course does not make them a better person than someone who is abnormal, it simply means that they will be able to relate and interact more easily with others within their own community.

I have a very simple philosophy: Normal is another word for boring. We are all unique and our eccentricities are what helps us progress as both a race and as individuals.

In my opinion, there is no actual "normal." Normal is what people think other people should be like (straight, healthy weight, etc. etc.), and I think people are fine the way they are. Sure, I may not agree with what they're like or their beliefs, but they were born that way and no one can change that.

This is what most people think normal should be: They must be straight, maintain a healthy weight, have perfect teeth, have average intelligence, be mature for their age, be very social, have a good paying to high paying job, and so many more. I disagree entirely. I think people should look the way they want, behave the way they want, and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyFox View Post
    Lately, I've been having a lot of deep thoughts. A lot of deep thoughts about a lot of different things. But one of the thoughts is about the word "normal." Ever since I hit puberty, this word has stood out to me. I want to be normal. That's what made it stand out. The desire to be normal.

But, yet, I have never been able to make myself feel normal. Before I figured out my sexual orientation or when I figured out I was a TB, or even when I found out I was a furry, I could never feel normal.

Now my question is, what is normal?

Normal:
    Conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.

According to a dictionary, this is normal. But what is 'usual' or 'typical' or 'expected?'

With the way society is today, there are so many different forms of the word 'normal' that the word should hardly be one word at all, but an entire novel of words. I've heard so many people saying things like 'abnormal' or 'that's not normal' but how do we know it's not normal? What, ultimately, is the base for the word normal? How do we judge it?

Just my thoughts... and I really hope I don't sound like I'm ranting >.<
    I tend to view the idea of normalcy as one that was concocted to keep malcontents and dreamers in line so that the bland amorphous middle doesn't risk any discomfort from seeing someone being a strong individual. Personally, I believe strongly in the promise and potential of individuals, a concept that is a threat to many. Humans have an innate desire to be liked/loved and in many ways we're social creatures, so at a very base level I understand why some seek to conform, but the idea that there is a preset standard to which we should all subscribe is ludicrous and repulsive to me.

I mean, it's like you say-normal is a word with no real meaning. Things that happen all the time but are societally not accepted are called abnormal, like cheating on a spouse. Things that are normal to one group, like playing video games on a Saturday night, are abnormal to a a group that goes out partying and gets drunk every Saturday. The word normal is much less descriptive of a set of characteristics and much more a weapon for those who are made uncomfortable by certain behaviors to bludgeon their foes into conformity.

Like I said, I believe in the power and promise of the individual, normalcy be damned.