Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Video Games Protected By First Amendment

Default Video Games Protected By First Amendment

So, Video games have recently been ruled to be protected by the first amendment. Thoughts?

Full Case Ruling Here

That's how it should be. I don't think it should be the government's job to decide what video games kids & teens play.

I din't expect any other ruling to be honest. But as a life long gamer I am happy about it.

Good... I've been playing M games since I was five and I'm less violent then half of the people I know that didn't.

Bill of Rights WIN!

That's probably the only good thing about the United States. JK lol.

good, thank god theres people who love that amendment as much as i do :3

That nice and all. When you see one of your friends on the news. Because they played a video game and get the stupid idea of oh killing people is fun. Why dont I get my daddys gun and shot someone. Who are we going to blame? Parents, Game manufacture, Goverment? To a young kid fantasy is a reality. Superheros are ture.

Two familys lives are destoryed. One Family that lost a love one due to a person trying to play a video game in real life and the family who let there kid play a video game and some how gotten a hold of a gun and kills a real person. Both family would be in the news and both there lives turn upside down.

everyone please becareful.

Firstly, the fact that the government has neither the right nor the obligation to censor the material that kids consume does not mean that parents don’t. It is your right and your responsibility as a parent to regulate your child’s access to media you believe they are not ready for. This law doesn’t change that. Any child whose cognitive development is insufficient to understand the difference between fantasy and reality ought to be subject to strict parental supervision for any number of reasons. Censorship is NOT a solution to bad parenting.

Secondly, there is no proven causal link between consumption of violent media, and long-term violent behaviour. Obsessive consumption of violent media is frequently symptomatic of pre-existing anti-social personality disorders, but that doesn’t make it causative. Given the widespread availability of violent media over the last twenty years, if there was an unequivocal link between the two, incidents like the example described would be sufficiently common that they would have long since lost their ability to shock. Regardless of whatever theory of cognitive neuroscience is flavour of the month, the empirical sociological evidence is very much against the theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
    That nice and all. When you see one of your friends on the news. Because they played a video game and get the stupid idea of oh killing people is fun. Why dont I get my daddys gun and shot someone. Who are we going to blame? Parents, Game manufacture, Goverment? To a young kid fantasy is a reality. Superheros are ture.

Two familys lives are destoryed. One Family that lost a love one due to a person trying to play a video game in real life and the family who let there kid play a video game and some how gotten a hold of a gun and kills a real person. Both family would be in the news and both there lives turn upside down.

everyone please becareful.
    Many people were saying the exact same things about Homer's epics when those first came out.

If a kid decides to commit acts of senseless violence just because of a video game, something tells me that kid probably would get similar ideas from watching television, reading a novel, looking at headline news, etc. That is really an extremely atypical reaction to video game violence.