Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I might just be one, it does make sense.

Default I might just be one, it does make sense.

So I just heard about this like 30 minutes ago and to be honest, it all sounds exactly like me.

It's called being an Introvert. Check it out, you may find yourself agreeing with most of this. I match up with all of it. This would explain why I am always so freaking tired after work and as soon as I get into my room I feel wide awake. The first one is especially true of me, I don't do small talk, I have always hated it.

#4 also stands out, I actually cried one night, because I thought I was going to lose one of my friends.

Myth #1 – Introverts don’t like to talk.
    This is not true. Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days.

Myth #2 – Introverts are shy.
    Shyness has nothing to do with being an Introvert. Introverts are not necessarily afraid of people. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t interact for the sake of interacting. If you want to talk to an Introvert, just start talking. Don’t worry about being polite.

Myth #3 – Introverts are rude.
    Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

Myth #4 – Introverts don’t like people.
    On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in.

Myth #5 – Introverts don’t like to go out in public.
    Nonsense. Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG. They also like to avoid the complications that are involved in public activities. They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.” They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts.

Myth #6 – Introverts always want to be alone.
    Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time.

Myth #7 – Introverts are weird.
    Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy.

Myth #8 – Introverts are aloof nerds.
    Introverts are people who primarily look inward, paying close attention to their thoughts and emotions. It’s not that they are incapable of paying attention to what is going on around them, it’s just that their inner world is much more stimulating and rewarding to them.

Myth #9 – Introverts don’t know how to relax and have fun.
    Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places. Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down. Their brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways. Just look it up.

Myth #10 – Introverts can fix themselves and become Extroverts.
    Introverts cannot “fix themselves” and deserve respect for their natural temperament and contributions to the human race. In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ.

Anywho post what you think, I am interested in seeing what other people believe.

That list is kind of annoying. For one thing I don't like splitting people into introverts and extroverts since I have never met a single person who fit neatly into each of them. I bet if I had a list of "Top 10 Extrovert Myths" you might find yourself agreeing or identifying with several of the 'real facts' they were putting out there.

"Why yes I do have a lot of friends, even if they're not all all that close, I must be an extrovert at heart."

"That is good to know that IQ goes up in groups of extroverts according a 25-year-old study. I am smart too!"

I don't know, I just hate all these personality types and labels because while they might be somewhat true it's a bad idea to label your personality. It's as stupid as using a zodiac to me - I can't hang out with you because you're a Sagittarius and today the newspaper psychic said not to hang out with you because our astral asses won't feel that good around each other.

Spearmint

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blanch View Post
    That list is kind of annoying. For one thing I don't like splitting people into introverts and extroverts since I have never met a single person who fit neatly into each of them. I bet if I had a list of "Top 10 Extrovert Myths" you might find yourself agreeing or identifying with several of the 'real facts' they were putting out there.

"Why yes I do have a lot of friends, even if they're not all all that close, I must be an extrovert at heart."

"That is good to know that IQ goes up in groups of extroverts according a 25-year-old study. I am smart too!"

I don't know, I just hate all these personality types and labels because while they might be somewhat true it's a bad idea to label your personality. It's as stupid as using a zodiac to me - I can't hang out with you because you're a Sagittarius and today the newspaper psychic said not to hang out with you because our astral asses won't feel that good around each other.
    I agree with you on this. I myself find that I'm somewhere between introvert and extrovert, and it's hard to classify people into different groups like that. Everyone is different, and while bits of them may fit one type, others will fit different types. Dividing people up doesn't really work that well when you start to look more closely at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blanch View Post

See I looked at both and nothing on the other list is close to the way I am. I don't see how this is like zodiac signs, nothing about either personality type says they cannot connect.

I don't know though, this was just something I found interesting, something that a lot of the time I thought was depression, is not really depression.

Quote Originally Posted by Spearmint View Post
    I agree with you on this. I myself find that I'm somewhere between introvert and extrovert, and it's hard to classify people into different groups like that. Everyone is different, and while bits of them may fit one type, others will fit different types. Dividing people up doesn't really work that well when you start to look more closely at it.
    But it can work. I'm not saying we should divide people up. But yes everyone is different, never said they were the same. It can range. You also say you don't like to divide people into different groups, but is that not what has already been done on this very website, between DL/AB/TB/Furries? everyone has a tag they fit into. Some people fit only into DLism and some into AB, some BOTH or a few all of the above. except AB/TB because that has to do with your age....but that's beside the point.

I don't really see it as tagging your personality anyway, it is more along the lines of helpful guidelines to better understand yourself. You can reject a tag. I am a DL and a furry, they are apart of who I am, I consider it apart of my personality. It is something I cannot change. But I don't have to call myself that, if someone else calls me that, I can just say "no"
    Last edited by FauxPas; 20-Jun-2011 at 06:50.

It's just a personality trait though. It's not like it's a disorder or something major. So don't worry about it.

Yeah, the knowledge of psychology can make a person a bit of a hypochondriac when it comes to these things.

I don't know. It just seems too extreme to say that you are strictly an extrovert or introvert. It's not like left-handed and right-handed, It's more like Right-brained and Left-brained.
    It's almost impossible to be strictly Left-brained, and it's almost impossible to be Right-brained.

I could also get into politics on this one, also... but I'll pass.

Do you mean introvert in the general sense? or is this related to Myers-Briggs.

Artie

It is totally true that genetics have a great deal to do with a person's personality. There have been controlled studies to support this... you can read one here if you have the time and patience. http://www.unm.edu/~gfmiller/newpape...getarticle.pdf

But I really want to caution people from classifying themselves as introverts, extroverts, thrill seekers, etc. Genetics aren't everything and personality can be changed with behavior and experience. All these surveys about personality can be really misleading because often when someone takes them, they tend to use their results to totally define them for the rest of their lives. This can lead to excuses like "I'm an introverted person, so I don't have to go to the dance/party tonight" or something similar. In my opinion, that doesn't lead to new, fun experiences and is definitely not conducive to a healthy, fulfilling lifestyle.

I'm deeply suspicious of lists like this. The same traits also could make you HSP, or with a couple more questions added we could make you autistic as well. It'll make you feel like you belong somewhere for a while, but in the long run it just sets you apart. Like Dhuum said: it becomes an excuse to make your life narrower. It's safe and comfortable but not healthy or fulfilling. Not only does it set you apart, it doesn't just tell you what's wrong/different/special about you, on a more subconcious level all those lists together enforce an idea of normalcy that's a total fantasy and excludes just about everyone. There's a ton of these lists floating around and they all make you feel like 'hey, that's me too!'.

Maybe i'm a bit like those incontinent people that get mad at people that want to be on here, so don't take it as anything more than that. Being 'different' is not as cool as you think, but that's me. If it helps you feel better about yourself, who am I to judge.

Personality stuff is fun, as long as you don't let it harshly define you. I'm fond of Myers-Briggs, as Artie mentioned.

I'm an INFP. :3