Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yoplait pulls their own ad for yogurt.

Default Yoplait pulls their own ad for yogurt.

Yoplait pulled this ad since a few people and I guess them (yoplait) by default now, think's it will cause eating disorders.

So does anyone think this was a good move? I personally think it's a highlight of the issue of going over the edge with being politically correct. The ad shows a fictional woman debating wither to have cheesecake. I actually found it to be funny since there are people that make a HUGE deal about not only what they eat, but what others eat as well.

That said, I think it's stupid for a company to pussy foot around like this. They made the ad and clearly saw no issue with it. But once someone cried over it, it's like "Oh no we agree with you we are assholes. Here we'll pull it off the air."

I thought it was a great commercial...

It really gets across "it tastes awesome, but is good for you".

nah - I don't buy that. It's an advert, it's not it's place to be controversial, or offend people or damage the companies image. It doesn't matter whether or not you or I think it's offensive, if enough people complain that it is, it's failing to promote the product properly. It would be stupid for a company to stand by an advert like this.

Quote Originally Posted by riddle View Post
    nah - I don't buy that. It's an advert, it's not it's place to be controversial, or offend people or damage the companies image. It doesn't matter whether or not you or I think it's offensive, if enough people complain that it is, it's failing to promote the product properly. It would be stupid for a company to stand by an advert like this.
    the people with the whole "well most people were complaining" argument is that the only people who likely contacted the company are the ones that wanted to bitch about the ad or the product itself. The most vocal people are always the ones with the negative views.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    the people with the whole "well most people were complaining" argument is that the only people who likely contacted the company are the ones that wanted to bitch about the ad or the product itself. The most vocal people are always the ones with the negative views.
    True - but people have a right to complain if that they are offended, and companies can chose to heed them or ignore them (subject to whatever broadcast regulations you have in the USA) whichever they feel it's in their business' best interests. I really don't see why this bothers you so much?

True - but people have a right to complain if that they are offended, and companies can chose to heed them or ignore them (subject to whatever broadcast regulations you have in the USA) whichever they feel it's in their business' best interests. I really don't see why this bothers you so much?
    It's not people bitching to them about that. I'm in favor of that. (Recently I bitched to Gearbox Softwares for making a shitty Duke nukem game and demo.)

My point is this company aired the ad seeing nothing wrong with it and with the slightest amount of criticism they decide to pull the add they spent time and money on. When in all honestly as Zephy said, it was a great commercial from a marketing stand point. I also agree the company can pull the ad for whatever reasons they want but it's clear they saw no problem with the ad and feel no need to even try and defend it. That's where I think the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    It's not people bitching to them about that. I'm in favor of that. (Recently I bitched to Gearbox Softwares for making a shitty Duke nukem game and demo.)

My point is this company aired the ad seeing nothing wrong with it and with the slightest amount of criticism they decide to pull the add they spent time and money on. When in all honestly as Zephy said, it was a great commercial from a marketing stand point. I also agree the company can pull the ad for whatever reasons they want but it's clear they saw no problem with the ad and feel no need to even try and defend it. That's where I think the problem is.
    So you want companies to defend their adverts? hmm - well I think a company is foolish to approve an advert they feel to be indefensible but why should they bother? If you feed a row like that it may grow, whereas the least said, soonest mended and on to the next 30s of TV airtime to promote the tasty, low-fat yoghurt based treat from Yoplait (a wholly-owned subsidiary of General Mills)
    It's only an advert - it's not like it's a work of art or the product Yoplait is selling themselves.

Thanks for posting one with closed caption... so I can understand it. =)

Anyway, well I don't really see any problem with the advert as well. That actual cheesecake looks so good...mmm.

Yes, unfortunately, lot of companies have to be careful with the way they advertise things on TV (or anywhere else for that matter) without pissing people off. It's really pretty much impossible to please everyone. I would like to see some of gay/lesbian couples in the adverts, but of course, if anyone try to attempt to air it/publish it, it will probably get pulled out very fast after LOTS of complaints from close minded people. So it's pretty much not possible until probably next century or two.

So you want companies to defend their adverts? It's only an advert - it's not like it's a work of art or the product Yoplait is selling themselves.
    Yes I would like to see compaines defend themselves especially in cases that are blow out of proportion such as this. I also know it's on a ad and it's not a work of art. But I honestly found it slightly funny because it does have a element of truth to it. All thats going to happen is they may reshoot a new one and thus add more costs they might put onto the consumers. Either that you they'll reair old ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmy View Post
    Thanks for posting one with closed caption... so I can understand it. =)
    Anyway, well I don't really see any problem with the advert as well. That actual cheesecake looks so good...mmm.
    Yes, unfortunately, lot of companies have to be careful with the way they advertise things on TV (or anywhere else for that matter) without pissing people off. It's really pretty much impossible to please everyone. I would like to see some of gay/lesbian couples in the adverts, but of course, if anyone try to attempt to air it/publish it, it will probably get pulled out very fast after LOTS of complaints from close minded people. So it's pretty much not possible until probably next century or two.

Like that?

There's also a series of Ikea commercials that centre around gay relationships.
    Last edited by Zephy; 16-Jun-2011 at 02:32.