Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer sugestion for me anyone?

Talking Computer sugestion for me anyone?

Well I have an HP notebook but I'm going to have to buy a new Notebook for college. Whats y'alls suggestions on a really good Notebook to buy?
    Reasons I have to buy a new one is...
    Reason 1: I'm just about out of hard drive on it (Came w/ 30 GBs now it only has 2.45 GBs left)
    Reason 2: I need Microsoft word and PowerPoint for Class.
    Reason 3: I just want a new one..

I was considering the Sony VAIO® NR Series Notebook PC (the pink one). I would love to get a Apple Macbook pro but Its gonna take me learning how to use a Mac if I get it. What do y'all think? Any other suggestions on what to get? Thanks!

Newegg.com - HP Pavilion DV6911US NoteBook AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60(2.00GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 3GB Memory 200GB HDD 4200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 7150M - Laptops / Notebooks

Decent notebook for a pretty good price.

And for Microsoft word and PowerPoint, you can download www: OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite which is the same thing for free (works the same way and everything) and you can save the documents to be compatible with the Microsoft programs.

It depends what you're willing to pay and what you want out of it. Apple has nice hardware, but you're going to pay for it. I've seen some nice Everex notebooks.

I don't suggest getting a Mac for the sake of owning a mac or for acting like your cool. Since after all a Mac is just a more expensive computer/laptop.

anyways here is a bit cheaper laptop with pretty damn good specs for the price. And yes I know its used but it has a fresh install and everything anyway.

Newegg.com - Recertified: COMPAQ Presario F756NR NoteBook AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58(1.90GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 2GB Memory 160GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 7000M

But for like over THREE times as much you can get a Macbook air with worse specs then the laptop I mentioned.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834100029
    ----------------
    Now playing: The Streets - Dry Your Eyes
    via FoxyTunes
    Last edited by Fire2box; 18-Jul-2008 at 03:23.

MacBook Air isn't for students. A MacBook (even coming from an Apple fanboy like me, it's still hefty priced) is for students. It starts at $1099 USD -- which is a lot, granted. But for school, it's usually a favorite. It has Office:Mac 2008 for it, and all the multimedia things you'd need for school/work, play, and lounge. And besdies, the MacBook Air isn't even in the same relative class as other notebooks like the one you linked to, or the "generic" class, like the ones linked below. So your arguement is flawed.

Although, if you're looking into a cheap laptop that'll be easy on your wallet but also a little more than decent, the Dell Inspiron and Vostro series are good picks (We're talking about laptops here... right? Just laptops?). HP are also very nice laptops for nice prices.

Here are 3 (out of a crap pile of) PCs I'd point out for a good deal for good price.
    Newegg.com - Acer Extensa EX5620-4025 NoteBook Intel Pentium dual-core T2370(1.73GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 1GB Memory DDR2 667 120GB HDD DVD Super Multi Intel GMA X3100 - Laptops / Notebooks
    Newegg.com - Recertified: COMPAQ Presario C751NR NoteBook Intel Pentium dual-core T2330(1.60GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 1GB Memory 120GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi Intel GMA X3100
    Newegg.com - Recertified: COMPAQ Presario F756NR NoteBook AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58(1.90GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 2GB Memory 160GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 7000M

Why not stick with an HP? I'm extremely happy with mine, I only payed about 800 (Or under, actually) and it came with a 300Gig hard drive, and 3gigs of ram.

I just want to point out, MS Word and Powerpoint are not good reasons for buying a new notebook, since most notebooks only come with trials versions (except some Dell 'extra' bundles, etc)

But it's so *easy* to get a hold of these products -- no matter what operating system you are on.

Just a suggestion, but don't buy Microsoft Office just yet. most colleges have deals where you can get it for really cheap. I paid $7.

Quote Originally Posted by jayschares View Post
    Just a suggestion, but don't buy Microsoft Office just yet. most colleges have deals where you can get it for really cheap. I paid $7.
    This is true, once you are at university, you can go through them and they'll give you the student prices for things. I am not too sure about student bank incentives around where you live, but here HSBC tend to give away all sorts of freebies, one of them being £100 of an ASUS laptop. I am not too sure about the fine print on it. But It may be a worth looking into.

I would just use any machine you have got now. for web browsing and general school work, Not sa if you are going to need to run MatLab or AutoCAD or any critical software needed to run for the course.

You can cheaply upgrade the Harddrive and Ram if need be. And you may able to get a copy of XP or Even Vista if you want that cheap from the college/uni too.