Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panic attacks

Default Panic attacks

Has anyone else here ever had panic attacks?

I started getting them at work recently, and I've been referred for therapy but that'll take two months to even get started, let alone start working. And I just found out today that because of all the other medications I'm taking and allergies I have, they probably can't put me on any tablets to help in the short term

I know I got into AB stuff because it helps me cope with stress - but it's not like I can toddle about all padded up at work. I have a uniform to wear and as a trans man I feel like I stick out enough without having to worry about a nappy. Have any of you ever had to deal with this? Did you find any ways to bring your AB side in to work to help you calm down without it being obvious?

Unfornately I cannot help you in terms of the AB side. Before I start, I apoligize for my poor use of grammar and spelling.

It's a great start you have started therapy, this is the first step. Pannic attack ocour from not being able to control your body, meaning it is likely a mental problem which is not being fufilled which is causing the panic attacks on. I would guess it would be not showing your AB side, in otherwords not being you.

I suggest if you ever have a panic attack or you believe one coming on do the following.

1. Sit in a confortable position
    2. Put your hands on your stomach.
    3. I want you to breath out slowly (Mouth closed, through nose) While holding your belly feeling it go up. Do this slowly and hold for 30 seconds (If you can)
    4. Breath out through the nose (Slowly) while holding your stomach.
    5. Repeat Four times.

I hope this exercise helps you, if your in a overcrowded environment please go somewhere private to calm down. I hope you can overcome your problem.

Once again sorry for the poor spelling and grammar

EDIT: Side note: It's good your taking medication if its relieving the problem, but make sure you do the therapy as Med's is only a short fix with these types of problems.

Some of the medication is addictive such as Diazipam which is sometimes used for Panic attacks and Anxiety attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by tinyfish View Post
    Has anyone else here ever had panic attacks?

I started getting them at work recently, and I've been referred for therapy but that'll take two months to even get started, let alone start working. And I just found out today that because of all the other medications I'm taking and allergies I have, they probably can't put me on any tablets to help in the short term

I know I got into AB stuff because it helps me cope with stress - but it's not like I can toddle about all padded up at work. I have a uniform to wear and as a trans man I feel like I stick out enough without having to worry about a nappy. Have any of you ever had to deal with this? Did you find any ways to bring your AB side in to work to help you calm down without it being obvious?

Hiya Tinyfish im sorry to hear you suffer from the same thing I do...I too suffer from anxiety and panic attacks, im actually an agoraphobic meaning I get them once I leave my comfort zone which is my house...so im pretty homebound because of it. bringing my AB side to help with this is not much of an option because for me it doesnt relieve stress

I suggest when you get panic attacks you attempt to distract yourself it works best for me perhaps pinch your skin lightly of course, or use a rubber band some people who suffer with anxiety use that as a distraction a light shock to the system kinda or you can distract yourself by things like counting down from 100 or in increments of 3 it really distracts the brain....I ussually play video games when I have a panic attack calms me down fast....unless its a really bad anxiety attack I take some meds and wait til it kicks in about 15 mins later which is a nightmareish 15 mins

another couple of tips keep a ice cold water bottle with you this is my sanctuary as if im having anxiety and feel nausea I just put the ice cold water bottle on the back of my neck and it snaps me out.

panic attacks are the same thing as any overwhelming sense of fear in any situation, whether that fear is justifiable or not (the sense of justification varies from person to person).

i'm scared of falling from height and have 'frozen' at height (more than once), i also had a very strange event of a panic attack whilst treading water (a very life threatening catch-22 of fearing loss of bouyancy, hyperventilating and then losing bouyancy). there have also been a couple of times of an inexplicable sense of being engulfed by all things that are beyond my immediate control; i can only equate this sense to a tidal wave or tsunami, in how comes upon one.

unfortunately, the phrase 'get a grip' is applicable, when these fearfulnesses arise, in a practical sense and a psychosomatic one.
    firstly, one needs to get a grip (control) of one's breathing (as can seen by my treading water experience) and then, one has to tackle (get a grip of) whatever issues there are in bite sized portions (focus on controlling the little bits, bit by bit).
    getting over the first hurdles results in a snowballing of confidence and effect.

hope that helps some, and you know that you aren't alone in this; i wouldn't be surprised if everybody hasn't had a panic attack, at some point, and not really realised it.
    and i suppose it helps to think of life as war (and war is scary) and address it as such.

I went through a period in my life where I got them. I'm a music director, and when we got near performance time, I would get them. One night, it was so bad my wife called 911 thinking I was having a heart attack. I found that breathing into a paper bag helped. Carbon dioxide helps, as the panic attack can be cause by having breathed in too much oxygen. Eventually I changed jobs and that helped.

Having anxiety is the worst feeling. I have a couple of anxiety disorders, so I know how you feel.

When I have stress, I try to focus on something repetitive or mentally consuming/challenging that I enjoy. It can be hard at work, but I find that staying focused on a task can take my mind off things.

If you are thinking AB wise, maybe having a pacifier in your pocket and using it during a break might help.

Sorry to hear about your pain. Just remember, it's all in your head and the world isn't ending, even though during panic attacks it can sure feel like it.

Hope that helps!

Agh! Panic Attacks suck >.< I had one at 1 o'clock in the morning once... and it was because I was on the last forty pages of Harry Potter 7

Interesting, I have an anxiety/panic attack problem, however it is caused by regression.

They hurt really bad, because I can't breathe, and they're exhausting, but they don't happen too often. It's mostly when I'm regressed and get upset ( which my little can get upset over nothing ). Sometimes they'll last a couple minutes and I've had them happen for like 4 hours, one right after another, till I get so exhausted I fall asleep.

Daddy can usually handle them pretty well. Mostly it just takes him to get me to control my breathing. He always talks me through them and usually I can pull myself out of them fairly quickly...

I think people so far are talking about two very different things. A mild "panic attack" over a actual phobia or other scary situation is NOT the same thing as someone with a clinically diagnosed anxiety disorder who has regular anxiety attacks in the absence of a clear source of danger. Unfortunately, I fell in the latter camp and started having anxiety attacks when I was 22. They were not psychosomatic or brought on by stress. I began having them daily after a five year binge of smoking a lot of marijuana in college. Sad, but true. Essentially, my nervous system was turned upside down.

Drugs were the only thing that helped me climb out of that hell. I was on Imipramine for two years. Today, I rarely have a serious anxiety attack, but I have other nervous system problems. While it's important to learn breathing exercises, relaxation techniques and talk to a psychiatrist, it's more important to pinpoint the underlying cause of the anxiety attacks. This is classified as a disease folks and one of the best books I found on the subject 20 years ago was called, "The Anxiety Disease." In that book, the author discusses case studies. Ironically, one of them is about a woman who wears diapers because of chronic diarrhea that accompany her attacks. That pretty much summed up my lifelong battle with IBS.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    im actually an agoraphobic meaning I get them once I leave my comfort zone which is my house...so im pretty homebound because of it.
    That's pretty serious. I hope you are getting professional help to be able to cope? Best of luck.

Countdown

I've been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder, so I used to get panic attacks all the time, particularly when I was in school, which is where virtually all of my socializing occurred. At one point, I was getting having multiple panic attacks each day, and they horrible and very debilitating. I think that after dealing with them for so long, however, I was able to hide my panic attacks from others and just deal with it inside, so no one ever really knew that I was having a panic attack. I still get them, though not as frequently as I used to. Oddly enough, thinking that the situation I'm in (being in school and socializing and being around other people) is inevitable and that I just have to deal with it seems to help me lessen the effects of the panic attack, then I just trudge along and fake it as best as I can. It seems to work for me.