Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New TN makes it a crime to post pics which may "frighten, intimidate or cause emotional distress"

Exclamation New TN makes it a crime to post pics which may "frighten, intimidate or cause emotional distress"

I just saw this story on DrudgeReport & I was stunned. How in the world did Tennessee legislators rationalize passing a law such as this?

The story is here: Tenn. law bans posting images that "cause emotional distress"
    & here: Tennessee Bans Offensive Online Images - Mobiledia

I'm trying to bring this story to the attention of as many people as I can; if I knew any members of anonymous, I'd mention it to them. I'm especially curious how any Tennessee residents feel about their legislature passing this abomination of a law & their governor signing it.

I assume this law was in response to "Wienergate," but I don't understand how Tennessee thinks this law is constitutional.

Essentially, this law makes it a crime (punishable by up to $2500 in fines & a year in jail) to post any image that might cause emotional distress. The key point is that this image doesn't need to be sexual or violent in nature (the vague description includes any image that might "frighten, intimidate or cause emotional distress"), nor does it have to be of the "victim;" anyone who happens to see the image is a potential "victim" & can claim criminal damages.
    It's more than possible that pictures from TV episodes, movies, videogames, music videos, etc. would now be considered illegal in Tennessee.

Pretty sure that means pictures are not allowed to be posted since someone is bound to be affected across the vast number of personalities in this country...

Sorry but I don't want to see any more pictures of your face, it's appalling...

Jk's =p

so no more reporting on wars and showing its true effect.

Quote Originally Posted by kwis View Post
    Pretty sure that means pictures are not allowed to be posted since someone is bound to be affected across the vast number of personalities in this country...

Sorry but I don't want to see any more pictures of your face, it's appalling...

Jk's =p
    Exactly! It's very possible that pretty much any picture could cause "emotional distress" to at least one person in Tennessee.
    For instance, as someone who abhors rap/hiphop, I am caused "emotional distress" when viewing any pic of a rapper. Does that mean I think the person who posted that pic should face criminal penalties, no; it's a somewhat humorous example of how ridiculous & dangerous this law is.

Tennessee must be the absolute worse state to live in. It must be governed by complete idiots. Could this legislation be more vague? Since I'm a Steelers fan, any picture of the Baltimore Ravens would cause me undue emotional harm.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Tennessee must be the absolute worse state to live in. It must be governed by complete idiots. Could this legislation be more vague? Since I'm a Steelers fan, any picture of the Baltimore Ravens would cause me undue emotional harm.
    Well damn, me being a Pats fan, any image of the St****rs causes me emotional harm. In fact, the mere image of their moniker is causing me harm right now. Perhaps I should sue you?

Quote Originally Posted by WBDaddy View Post
    Well damn, me being a Pats fan, any image of the St****rs causes me emotional harm. In fact, the mere image of their moniker is causing me harm right now. Perhaps I should sue you?
    Haha...yeah, that was rough for the Pats fan. However, we didn't do to well in the Superbowl. More lawsuits on the way by golly!

Living in Calif i have little to worry about TN laws. They have enough weird laws in Calif anyway.

If i posted something that offended someone in TN what are they going to do about it.
    Judges in Calif likely will laugh at a extradition request from TN for something that violates free speech. or the constitution

...smh.... thats all i have to say... theres more serious things going on and they take the time to make a law against posting pis.... pretty soon its going to be a crime to breath!

I'm not even going to touch the moral and ideological problems with such a law, as the problem with this can be summed up much more easily:

Unenforceable laws are stupid laws.

Tennessee legislators are apparently stupid legislators. Oh well.