Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G'day everyone :)

Default G'day everyone :)

I'm glad that I finally registered here. To be honest: I'm a bit nervous about it. That's because it's a first time for me; and I'm not such a group person anyhow. But this seems like a good and respectful place, so here goes

I'm a bit of a geek girl. I work as a webdesigner / webmaster, trying to extend that a bit to the programming side. I'm a lesbian, so the stereotype probably puts me in the "butch" category - ie. I rather shop for hardware than for clothing and I play soccer in a girl's team. But I also have my girly sides.
    I'm in a relationship. Have been for years, and hope to keep it like that.

I want to exchange / learn more about what options there are to manage my sleep-wetting: I've got a form of nocturnal enuresis.
    I'm here in particular because I've grown a bit tired of how people and professionals deal with incontinence.
    Maybe this is because I have never known anything else, but what has always bothered me most is how it is approached as a shameful disease that should be dealt with in an above all "discrete" fashion.

I have always found it odd that the fact that I have to wear some form of protection because my body disposes some fluids for a week every month is considered nothing to be ashamed of; but the fact that I have to wear a similar (though larger) form of protection because my body also happens to dispose some other fluids at night must be hidden, secret and felt awkward about.

Before I registered here I asked myself if I enjoy wearing diapers. It seems like a pretty easy question. Only, it isn't. The more I think about it, the less clear it gets. As I mentioned, I have never known any different than that I wet in my sleep. Not every night, but often enough. As a child, before my parents started to worry for real, I was really carefree about the whole thing. The years thereafter were not so carefree, until it was accepted that there was no easy solution. After that it became less of an issue, but I have always disliked the sort of disposable diapers that I had. They were not as good as the cotton ones that I had as a child, so that required additional fumbling with mattress covers and god knows what.
    I definitely did not like that.

The last two years or so I have tried to figure out if I could find something better. Not only in the sense of functional, but also something that I would feel at least neutral about. Or maybe enjoy wearing even, because it's comfy.

I was surprised to see how many AB/DL's there are, and they - you - seem to have caused the incontinence market to create more "fun" things than the discreet-as-possible, *invisible* disposable "brief" (because heaven forbid that they call it a "diaper"). So because I'm stuck to wearing them anyhow, I hope that eventually I'll find my way back to enjoying wearing them.
    I don't think that there is a sexual side to it for me. It's more like "feeling safe" - that it won't leak or shift or otherwise fail me, but also maybe in a psychological sense.

Anyhow, thanks for listening

Hi Kara, welcome to ADISC :-)
    There are plenty of other geeky, "not group people" on here as well, so you'll fit in - perhaps consider joining the anti-social group? ;-) Anti-Social - ADISC.org
    Although we have quite a youthful membership and most of us are weird AB/DL's who do this stuff for fun, we have plenty of IC people too.
    Thanks for sharing your story, see you on the boards :-)

Welcome to the forum, Nice to get to know you a bit

Quote Originally Posted by riddle View Post
    Hi Kara, welcome to ADISC :-)
    There are plenty of other geeky, "not group people" on here as well, so you'll fit in - perhaps consider joining the anti-social group? ;-) Anti-Social - ADISC.org
    Although we have quite a youthful membership and most of us are weird AB/DL's who do this stuff for fun, we have plenty of IC people too.
    Thanks for sharing your story, see you on the boards :-)
    LOL - well, as a woman who doesn't like shopping, rather played soccer than with barbie dolls and still wets in her sleep as an adult I'm pretty weird myself

I'm not sure if I would classify as anti-social. I am indeed definitely not a group person, in that I somehow don't "get" group behaviour. But I can get along with individuals just fine. Oh, I forgot to say that also have inattentive ADHD (or ADD), and a doc that I talked to sometime ago suggested that there might actually be a link between my problems with group behaviour, ADD and my sleep wetting: they are all either symptoms of, or manifestations of a developmental disorder. Not that knowing this has any practical value, but I found it interesting.

Actually yeah - I was an English boy who never liked soccer as a kid... even without diapers I've always been weird....

do you follow a soccer team? or just play?

on your profile you've got reading as a recreation - are you do you like any English / English translated books or series? are you a fan of anything we might know?

I'm not sure if I would classify as anti-social. I am indeed definitely not a group person, in that I somehow don't "get" group behaviour. But I can get along with individuals just fine.
    I understand that - I'm the same way, I think. I really need to focus on one person, and then I'm great, but managing group situations in my head is to complex and I just stop talking....
    how do you find using web forums with your ADHD/ADD? Since you work as a webmaster, I'm guessing you find internet communications easier than "real life"?

Actually yeah - I was an English boy who never liked soccer as a kid... even without diapers I've always been weird....
    I've come to the conclusion that weird people are generally more interesting as those who think they are "normal"

do you follow a soccer team? or just play?
    No, I don't follow the competition in particular. Meaning that on events like last year's europe cup final, I sometimes watch. But to me it's just a game I like .. and though on high levels they *can* play great, they often don't.

on your profile you've got reading as a recreation - are you do you like any English / English translated books or series? are you a fan of anything we might know?
    I love reading Tolkien, (classic) SF like Clarke, Asimov, some philosophy. I've never considered myself a fan of anything, but I REALLY like Terry Pratchett, and Douglas Adams.

I understand that - I'm the same way, I think. I really need to focus on one person, and then I'm great, but managing group situations in my head is to complex and I just stop talking....
    how do you find using web forums with your ADHD/ADD? Since you work as a webmaster, I'm guessing you find internet communications easier than "real life"?
    I have no problem using forums. See, the essence of AD(H)D is maybe best explained as difficulties with directing your attention by will. It more or less does what it wants; and concentrating on something that I like isn't hard at all. It even often leads to hyperfocus. But I find listening to (spoken) explanations excruciatingly difficult: it is as if processing that sort of information is very slow. For instance, meetings are a torment. It's like being mentally strangled

It's not so that I find internet communication easier. Well, some things are maybe easier summarised. But online you always miss the nonverbal clues, and that is why I think people are so prone to erupt in arguments online.

I've come to the conclusion that weird people are generally more interesting as those who think they are "normal"
    I have have a similar viewpoint - hence my signature line ;-)

I love reading Tolkien, (classic) SF like Clarke, Asimov, some philosophy. I've never considered myself a fan of anything, but I REALLY like Terry Pratchett, and Douglas Adams.
    I always found Tolkien a little too wordy and slow - but I'm with you 100% on everything else on your list. In fact I have two copies of each of the Douglas Adams books, one to read myself, and one copy to hand out to people - I'm like an evangelist with the bible for Douglas Adams ;-)

But online you always miss the nonverbal clues, and that is why I think people are so prone to erupt in arguments online.
    Yeah - that is a frustrating aspect of the internet. There is also the fact that on the internet people are mostly strangers, so the fact they don't know or understand your character leads to misunderstandings and fights. That's a good thing about forum communities like this one, people know each other a bit better and can be less harsh.

I have have a similar viewpoint - hence my signature line ;-)
    yes, I noticed it just now ...

I always found Tolkien a little too wordy and slow - but I'm with you 100% on everything else on your list. In fact I have two copies of each of the Douglas Adams books, one to read myself, and one copy to hand out to people - I'm like an evangelist with the bible for Douglas Adams ;-)
    *imagining someone standing on a soapbox, preaching to the assembled passers-by that "the Meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything is .... forty-two"*

Yeah - that is a frustrating aspect of the internet. There is also the fact that on the internet people are mostly strangers, so the fact they don't know or understand your character leads to misunderstandings and fights. That's a good thing about forum communities like this one, people know each other a bit better and can be less harsh.
    *if* it is moderated well, indeed. That seems to be the case here, and the reason that I decided to register. I've come across a few other forums for ab-dl people, but they made me want to run away really fast .. I'm quite happy with the PG-13 rating

*imagining someone standing on a soapbox, preaching to the assembled passers-by that "the Meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything is .... forty-two"*
    maybe I should enter a monastery - to contemplate the ultimate question ;-)

've come across a few other forums for ab-dl people, but they made me want to run away really fast .. I'm quite happy with the PG-13 rating
    Yeah, even though I personally have an R-rated interest in the subject, I can see why they would freak you out - even I am little scared by some of them :-s

Yeah, even though I personally have an R-rated interest in the subject, I can see why they would freak you out - even I am little scared by some of them :-s

maybe I should add that it's not the ab/dl specifics that bother me. it goes for all (very) graphic content.