Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is Pokemon more popular than Digimon?

Question Why is Pokemon more popular than Digimon?

Checked through for similar threads already but the one on the same subject is more a fun poke than actually asking questions

We've just been having this conversation on another forum and I thought I'd bring it over here to get your opinions on it. ^_^

Why do the majority of people prefer Pokemon over Digimon?

The spoiler below is my thoughts on the subject and includes two quotes to keep some of what I wrote in context.
    (Monster Rancher was mentioned there too so is included in my answer)

You still quite a few Pokémon fans at university - the reason being that the games, despite essentially being an endless series of enhanced remakes, are solid, addictive and features a battle system that is surprisingly deep when you decide to get into it. It's the kind of game that can be apreciated for different reasons by different people, which is key to it's widespread popularity (that and the nostalgia factor). Digimon games, by contrast, have a tendency to be mediocre at best.

As for the anime, I don't really know anyone that is a fan of either, though it's fairly obvious that Pokémon would have a wider potential fanbase, since the games keep introducing youngsters to the anime (and vice-versa) while Digimon never had that as a hook. I haven't personaly followed either in years, but as a child I prefered Pokémon, in no small part due to the games, which made Ash much more relatable as a character (since, ya know, I was a trainer too ^^), though I do have found memories of Digimon too, especially season 3.

Sent from my iPhone

crazykittensmile

Because pokemon's awesome! I used to play it 24.7 I had every single version red, blue, pikachu yellow, you name it I had it!

The Pokemon games I love and I also love the anime too but Digimon I don't really like the games much but I love the anime and month or two ago I "aquired" the first two seasons on my computer and watched them both in just over two weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    Pokemon came out first.

No one likes a copy-cat!
    Digimon and Pokémon are two very different franchises. Other than both of them having humans interacting with "monsters", they really don't have much in common.

I always liked Digimon better. Matt had angst, and you can't have a good TV show without angst.

Plus, Pokémon makes no sense. One episode has Ash in the Pokémon League, two episodes later his Pikachu loses to a random Piplup or something. At least the strength of Digimon characters remains consistent.

It's simple: Pokemon look cuter. People like things that look cute, even if they won't admit it.

Not to mention, Pokemon has the upper hand with its stellar video games. I'm not even aware of any Digimon games for the Game Boy.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterD View Post
    It's simple: Pokemon look cuter. People like things that look cute, even if they won't admit it.

Not to mention, Pokemon has the upper hand with its stellar video games. I'm not even aware of any Digimon games for the Game Boy.
    Digimon dawn and dusk on the NDS were an attempt at something along similar lines to but not an exact copy of the paired pokemon games.
    The pokemon franchise has always been focused on the handheld market while conversely the digimon one has always been console focused.

I actually remember preferring Digimon's TV series as a kid.

However, I still play pokemon gameboy games to kill time and for nostalgia, because they're relaxing and fun. The Digimon franchise never put out anything that could have that sort of lasting appeal.