Thread: AB Diaper Companies == more of us than we realize?

Default AB Diaper Companies == more of us than we realize?

I was wondering, do you think the fact that Bambino and ABU have been such a success suggests there are a lot more AB/DL out in the world than we might first have imagined?

Because, as far as I'm aware, the cost of producing an adult diaper run is fairly extreme - so I assume the AB companies piggyback on a different supplier's run; i.e Secure X-Plus etc.

However, I can't imagine the factories or medical companies would allow this without accepting the fetish, or at least seeing a big market order?

So unless I've got the wrong end of the stick, the fact Bambinos etc aren't *too* high in price implies they are getting a lot of business? So would it be fair to assume that there are lots of individual customers, or just a shed load of repeat business?

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore View Post
    I was wondering, do you think the fact that Bambino and ABU have been such a success suggests there are a lot more AB/DL out in the world than we might first have imagined?

Because, as far as I'm aware, the cost of producing an adult diaper run is fairly extreme - so I assume the AB companies piggyback on a different supplier's run; i.e Secure X-Plus etc.

However, I can't imagine the factories or medical companies would allow this without accepting the fetish, or at least seeing a big market order?

So unless I've got the wrong end of the stick, the fact Bambinos etc aren't *too* high in price implies they are getting a lot of business? So would it be fair to assume that there are lots of individual customers, or just a shed load of repeat business?

Thoughts?
    There are several bits to this...

One, there are a lot of a ABDLs. For every one that comes out of the diaper closet, there are probably 10 more lurking behind a computer monitor jerking to diaper images and scared they'll get busted. So there is at least some market potential.

Two, in the case of Bambinos, they are literally just the Secure X-Plus diaper with a different plastic landing panel. In the case of a decently-sized company, as Secure is, they would know their markets, as in who's buying and where. Honestly, this is true of any large company. The car companies know who is buying their cars, from age to location to household income. They know lifestyles of the buyers of each model, where they shop, even what they watch on the TV. Short of what positions you like in bed, they know damn near everything there is to know about you. I cannot imagine it would be any different for a diaper company.

Then, too, consider the sizes of certain companies. ABU was created by a few ABDLs that saw a market niche they could go after. The reason Cushies and the like are pricey is because they're not being manufactured in nearly as large of volume as are many other diaper products on the market. They're a small outfit catering to one segment of the market. Kimberly-Clark is massive, and they bank on the fact that they provide the medical angles and products with "dignity". We're too small for them to bother with. Abena, I'm sure, knows that there is a large contingent that buys their products not for medical use, but looking at it from their angle, we're still buying, so there's no market incentive for them to launch an ABDL-specific product line.

Then, there's the one corporation with the two companies under it, Secure and The Bottom Half Group (Bambino). Consider their place in the market. Secure isn't as good as Abena, but is similarly priced, so they fight and lose for market share in the medical market. They're not available in stores, and they're not subtle or quiet, so they lose on the mass-market "dignity" angle. They're a small to medium sized company, not nearly the size of Kimberly-Clark or Tena, but they're no longer a small upstart, like ABU. They're in a position where they can maximize their profits by providing ABDL-specific products, and by using two company names, they can wash their hands of the "weirdos" when the medical users come looking for better diapers that aren't imported.

I also suspect that if Secure/TBHG somehow grew and became larger as a company, we'd probably start to see the prices of their products drop. The Secure X-Plus is a good diaper, but not on par with Abenas, and yet they're priced similarly, despite being a US-based company and competing with a product imported from Europe. That indicates to me that their production costs are higher because they're moving considerably less product. If either Secure or TBHG (which are the same entity using two company names) or both grew in sales volume, I suspect we'd see a price drop on both sides.

I had no idea Secure and TBHG were a single entity - I always thought Bambinos were just a company that had paid to use the Secure manufacturer! Learn something new every day!

In which case, I guess it's not as wide an indication of popularity in society... but you make a good point about the 1 in 10, I expect we have a fair population who just keep it to themselves. I'm also starting to wonder if there are people with the urges but not quite aware enough to act on them...

Anyway, good answer, thanks for the wonderful insight!

I'm sure that if we just looked at the web traffic of this site we would see significantly more people browsing the site than we do frequently posting on it. That alone suggests that there are MANY more of us than one might expect. Then if you take into account all the other and larger diaper sites out there the target audience grows.

As an example these are the stats the site currently has up:

Total members that have visited the forum in the last 24 hours: 767
    Total members that have posted on the forum in the last 24 hours: 187

This suggests that just under 25% of the members who logged on in the last day actually posted.
    But then consider that that statistic only takes into account people who are actually members.

This is the current distribution of users online:
    There are currently 468 users online. 90 members and 378 guests

If that ratio holds true across a 24hr window then we can assume that there are 4 times as many guests for every user.

Of course this example relies on a number of unsupported assumptions, but it should illustrate the concept decently.

I would guess it's well under 1% of the population. 1% just of the US would be 3 million people... if we assume only 10% of those are really active, that would still be 300K people just in the US, which you'd think would imply more activity on popular boards like this and more of a thriving market for AB/DL products.

indybaby12

surely the Abena people have some knowledge of us, which is could be a reason why the super plus is such a good seller.

Making diapers is a complex business and as others have said, short runs are not very profitable. In fact the very expensive machinery needs to be kept running without too much alteration to designs etc - and bear in mind manufacturers need to make different sizes and styles of most products. It is getting a bit old now but have a look at http://www.xpmedical.com/tour.html to see a tour of the Abena factory.

It is not just AB designs that are slow in coming to the market - very few companies are jumping on the bandwagon to make male specific nappies - yet basic knowledge of human anatomy should tell them what I need is very different to what a female needs - or maybe we need the same thing but in different places!

Peachy

Any company that doesn't have a clue what's going on in their respective market is bound to fail. So I'm pretty sure the diaper producers are aware of this little subset of the market that are DLs/ABs. Once they know about us, they can choose from three different options: (1) Ignore the subset, (2) make some provisions for them, or (3) cater primarily or entirely to AB/DL.
    THe majority of diaper manufacturers will simply ignore us because the volume is too low compared to their other customers. There will never be an AB Depends - they'll continue to sell to the mass market.
    Manufacturers that make thick diapers may be more willing to listen to the needs of AB/DL because AB/DL almost unanimously prefer thick diapers while quite a lot of IC people would prefer something thin and unnoticable and thus aren't among potential buyers.
    Finally, those companies specifically producing for the AB/DL market won't be able to afford their own plant. The wise thing is to simply ask a big diaper manufacturer for some time to use their machines. I reckon the machines to produce diapers on can be tweeked to make different models and sizes, so it shouldn't be too complicated to add a little bit of stuffing and use printed plastic to make AB/DL diapers. Only problem is. AB/DL diapers sell at a premium because the price has to cover the profits of the AB/DL diaper manufacturer, the profits of the big diaper manufacturer whose machines the diapers were produced on, and the extra costs of designing the diapers and tweeking the machines, plus the higher costs of lower volumes.

Peachy

I'm just going to guess when I say most AB/DL are closet, and haven't come out publicly to anyone, so I do believe there are more ab/dl than we have on any site, this also makes me think because they don't wanna be found out they just get their diapers, if they get any, from the local store aka depends or some store brand. Even though Bambino caters to ab/dl , I wonder id Kimberly Clark has a bigger hold on the ab/dl community just because they're more readily available? Of course this is all a guess I'm not claiming I know anything about any of this just an assumption, though I would be interested to find out.