Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Officials consider parole for Charles Manson follower with cancer" - Opinions?

Kip

Default "Officials consider parole for Charles Manson follower with cancer" - Opinions?

What is everyone's opinion on this news story?

Dying Manson follower considered for release - Yahoo! News

My opinion is this: She needs to stay in prison until she dies. She was involved with killing a lady and her unborn child. The crime alone should discourage them from granting her parole.

Hmmm...
    Well if her being in prison/hospital is costing the tax payer a lot of money, I say let her go. She's not got long to live, she's paralysed and is missing a leg, I say giving her three months of freedom isn't being all that compassionate... I think that it's worth releasing her, just to save money.

Allowing people to go from prison due to health is a delicate thing, right now they may only let the most severe terminally ill people go - later it might be all terminally ill people. One thing leads to an other. And I think nobody should be allowed to go from prison on they're state of health. What I do think though is that they should pay for they're health care in the same way as all other people outside of jail. Being in prison shouldn't mean that you can get free health care at the taxpayer's expense (unless that's available to the general public too).

This may sound harsh but what gives those people the right to leech off of society after what they've done. That would mean that if you do something bad enough to be put into jail you'll get free health care while the people that abide to the law won't. Call me harsh but I think that's crooked. If anything they deserve it less. If you don't like the punishment then don't do the crime. In Dutch they have a saying: "If you burn your ass you'll have to sit on the blisters." She burnt her ass, let her sit on her blisters.

I would let her go home to die, it's not like someone in that condition is going to run away, you couldn't get that far if you did run.

And if she trys just stick her back in.

Kip

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Allowing people to go from prison due to health is a delicate thing, right now they may only let the most severe terminally ill people go - later it might be all terminally ill people. One thing leads to an other. And I think nobody should be allowed to go from prison on they're state of health. What I do think though is that they should pay for they're health care in the same way as all other people outside of jail. Being in prison shouldn't mean that you can get free health care at the taxpayer's expense (unless that's available to the general public too).

This may sound harsh but what gives those people the right to leech off of society after what they've done. That would mean that if you do something bad enough to be put into jail you'll get free health care while the people that abide to the law won't. Call me harsh but I think that's crooked. If anything they deserve it less. If you don't like the punishment then don't do the crime. In Dutch they have a saying: "If you burn your ass you'll have to sit on the blisters." She burnt her ass, let her sit on her blisters.
    I agree 100%. Very well said.

She's 60 years old, she's paralysed on one side and has had the opposite leg amputated, and she is dying from brain cancer with maybe 3 months to live. Her medical treatment and paying for prison guards to watch over her has cost state taxpayers more than $1.4 million since March. That's about $400,000/month for the last 3-1/2 months!

I don't really see the problem with releasing her...or at least allowing her family to be with her in these last days. She's paid for her crime...she's spent her entire life behind bars...and now she's dying a slow and painful death.

She killed a woman and her unborn baby. That is one of the worst crimes I can imagine. Sorry to be cruel here, but a slow and painful death is exactly what this prisoner deserves. The death penalty as they do it these days would be way too quick. Torture is fitting for this wretch.

Kip

Footed P.J.

I would have been OK about her early release, but it really depends on the situation. Not sure where I'd draw the line. Not heartbroken at her denial, though.

Isn't it aggravating that the Manson family gets free health care and most of us who work don't have such a thing?

Granting a terminally ill murderer parole just so they can have hospice care on the outside still doesn't send the right message in the long run, so taxpayer dollars never get saved either way.