Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making my first cloth diaper!

Default Making my first cloth diaper!

I'm really excited about this project, as it's not only the first time I'm making a diaper, but it'll be the first time (since I was 2) that I'll get to wear one. I wanted to blog about it, but I'd have to wait 5 more days and I'm too excited to wait! I thought I'd share my process in case it might help anyone else out.

First I bought some large pieces of fluffy fleece at goodwill (one was a blanket and the other just a large piece of fabric). As I am not currently interested in using, I only took the feeling and color into consideration, but a waterproof liner layer might be nice for others.

After scouring my house to find the one paper bag that didn't get recycled, I made a fitted diaper pattern. http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb346/twinklelittlestar23/0605110101.jpg I had to tape on pieces to the long sides, since my bum is wider than a paper bag. The pattern is 40" on the back tabs, and 15" in the front, so there's about 5" of overlap for each tab. It's 7" at the narrowest point, and I guessed on the curvature of the leg openings. I may suggest that a steeper curve (the long parts being thicker) would be better for someone who will use theirs, the shape fits me a lot like bikini style underwear in the back.

I traced the pattern onto my doubled over fleece (forgot a picture at this step, sorry), pinned it (that's important!) and then cut it out. http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb346/twinklelittlestar23/0605110103.jpg

I wanted more padding than the 2 layers of fleece, so I measured and cut two 6"x15" rectangles and pinned them in the middle. http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb346/twinklelittlestar23/0605110103a.jpg The soaker panel is pinned on the "wrong" side of the fabric, once it is sewn on (to just one layer of fleece), and the whole diaper is sewn almost all the way around, it'll be turned inside out (so the soaker panel is inside), and sewn up to finish. Alas, I'll have to update sewing steps later, my machine is on the fritz. >.<

Lemmie know if you have questions or suggestions, and I hope this helps somebody! Also, in previewing this post, the pictures look huge, even though I resized them. But I'm not computer smart (I mean, I'm a mac user, afterall :P)so I apologize if they're unnecessarily large.

Sounds like its gonna be awesome, tell us about it when yr done
    Btw Macs for the win man

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Twinklelittlestar,

I wondered: Is fleece a good absorber? It is a plastic fiber after all. I think it was not intended to absorb a lot. Maybe it does, I have no clue. Until now I have done some experiments creating cloth diapers by using molton. This was done, completely with velcro closing at the front. Really neat experiment. However, I found out in time that I like disposables a bit more, but I really enjoyed creating one a lot. Anyway, I wish the same to you, have fun! ;-)

Fleece? I don't think so My dog peed on my blanket once(fleece as well) and it soaked my legs. :P
    Enjoy experimenting. I'm staying disposable.

Quote Originally Posted by Adidas View Post
    Twinklelittlestar,

I wondered: Is fleece a good absorber? It is a plastic fiber after all. I think it was not intended to absorb a lot. Maybe it does, I have no clue. Until now I have done some experiments creating cloth diapers by using molton. This was done, completely with velcro closing at the front. Really neat experiment. However, I found out in time that I like disposables a bit more, but I really enjoyed creating one a lot. Anyway, I wish the same to you, have fun! ;-)
    Fleece is absolutely awful in terms of absorption. However, it does wick phenomenally, so some baby diapers are constructed using fleece for the layer against the skin for comfort and terry inside for absorption. Perhaps one looking for absorption could give that combo a go.

Nice project but wrong material ...
    If you haven't yet sewn the diaper, consider using the fleece as inside layer (next to skin) and using cotton (flannel, birdseye, gauze) for the absorbing layers.
    Like others already said, fleece is good as a wick layer but it wont absorb a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mimster View Post
    Nice project but wrong material ...
    If you haven't yet sewn the diaper, consider using the fleece as inside layer (next to skin) and using cotton (flannel, birdseye, gauze) for the absorbing layers.
    Like others already said, fleece is good as a wick layer but it wont absorb a thing.
    That's where the terry comes in. Terry is quite a bit more absorbent than flannel or gauze or birdseye, but isn't comfortable against the skin. But, if you have a fleece layer against the skin, then you'll get wicking, softness, and absorption all in one diaper.

Thanks everyone, but did anyone actually read what I wrote?

As I am not currently interested in using, I only took the feeling and color into consideration, but a waterproof liner layer might be nice for others.
    I know fleece is not a good material for absorbency, but I'm not peeing in it, so it doesn't matter. But thank you all for pointing that out. I will try to be clearer in the future.

I did read what you wrote ... bu then you said "As I am not currently interested in using" and that means that you might want to use it in the future ....
    So my point is, if you are spending time on a nice project, then you might want to make it "usable" for later
    But i keep my saying ..... NICE PROJECT

Thanks mimster, I appreciate it! And I'm really not sure if I will want to, but if I do want to use, I'll probably go buy PUL and terry cloth fabrics and make some nice AIOs!