Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nuk 5 size.. silicone?

Default Nuk 5 size.. silicone?

I did a little poking around about this - has anything changed since this time 2 years ago? Is there nowhere I can buy (even import, if I have to) a silicone binky that isn't dwarfed by my humongous face?

I ask not because I'm allergic to latex, but because of how brutally foul every latex binky I've ever tried tastes. Playtex makes a HUGE nippled binky, but even after soaking it in a bath of dish soap and bleach for several hours, as soon as it's dry, it stinks like latex and tastes like latex, and it's HORRIBLE, like sucking on a rubber glove!

I think a lot of ABs would be happy about a medic pro in silicone.

Alas

Has anyone at least come up with a solution to the disgusting petroleum taste of latex nipples?

I was considering to get a Nuk 5 but yes, I don't like the latex taste neither. So I think I will save my money and wait until they start to produce the silicone ones.

I don't think Nuk 5's taste that horrible. But nope there's still no silcone based ones and if there was it would be all the rage for AB's and TB's.

Man, I've wanted this for so long, i've been considering learning how to MAKE a silicone nipple!

I read once that the reason Nuk doesn't make a silicone version of the Nuk 3 is because, by the time the recommended age range for a Nuk 3 is reached (18+ months), toddlers have front teeth. Both latex and silicone pacifiers can be damaged by chewing, but apparently silicone tends to sever more quickly, whereas the latex will begin to show wear before finally breaking. So according to this, there are no silicone Nuk 3's because they would be more of a choking hazard... I remember reading this about 10 years ago and it made sense. (Granted, I'm sure some of us here are silicone pacifier devotees and have never had a problem with chewing off a nipple--but we're not actually toddlers, either.)

So I went to check up on this info (which I vaguely recall reading on the FAQ section of the Nuk site), and I found a redesigned site along with this:
    Genius and Buy NUK Genius Silicone Pacifier, Size 3, 18+ months Online at drugstore.com. It's a size 3 Nuk Genius. I've only seen these in sizes 1 & 2 in the store and figured that they would never make a size 3 due to the above reasons. I guess gnawing on silicone isn't so bad after all.

I have a sneaking suspicion that silicone is a favorite among parents (just for its clean looks and non-allergenic properties) and outsells the latex. If they have finally made a silicone Nuk 3, maybe--just maybe--we'll see a Medic Pro in silicone. Really, it would make sense, given the number of people with latex allergies.

Oh, and I believe it's been mentioned before, but the Medic Pro is finally coming to the USA: Medic Pro

Quote Originally Posted by WBDaddy View Post
    Has anyone at least come up with a solution to the disgusting petroleum taste of latex nipples?
    Petroleum? I thought latex was from rubber trees (the good stuff, anyways).

Maybe I just lack sensitive taste buds, but I've never found a Nuk product to have an overpowering latex taste--or any taste at all, really. I have a habit of not washing new Nuk latex pacifiers before first using them because the *very* slight sensation of bitterness goes away in a couple minutes.

Now, the latex nipple that came with a cheap Gerber bottle... THAT was nasty. Bitter, strong latex taste that just would not go away, no matter how much washing, scrubbing, and boiling was done. I left it in a plastic Ziploc bag, opened it a few months later, and the inside of the bag stank. I threw both away.

Have you ever tried a Nuk 5? Nuk might be using a different or higher quality latex (natural from rubber trees vs. synthetic made with petrochemicals) than Playtex.
    Last edited by Tygon; 09-Jun-2011 at 00:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Tygon View Post
    Maybe I just lack sensitive taste buds, but I've never found a Nuk product to have an overpowering latex taste--or any taste at all, really. I have a habit of not washing new Nuk latex pacifiers before first using them because the *very* slight sensation of bitterness goes away in a couple minutes.
    I'm the same. As much as people say they don't like the taste of latex, I never noticed a taste at all on my NUK 5.

Is the silicone Nuk 3 the same shape/size as the latex 18+ version? I find that size very comfortable but would definitely prefer silicone.

Null

I have a latex NUK 3 that I bought from a store, it doesn't taste bad at all, but maybe that's just me.