Thread: I really need insight on this

Default I really need insight on this

This is in relation to my last thread I posted, so please view that to get the background of why I am asking this question.

There is one question I would like to ask however. I recently found out (after she died) that this girl had a tumblr and posted her feelings to it quite frequently. I went through and read every post she made and to me it seems clear that through the posts made by her and the posts she reblogged, that the cries for help and the "warning signs" of trouble brewing are somewhat clear. In essence, the tumblr shines some light on the build up of events over the years that appear to lead up to the suicide.

My question is this... should I let her brother know that if he reads through her blog that he may get a clearer understanding of what was going on inside of her mind that may have caused her to take her life? Or is this one of those things that should be left to die with her?

IMHO, I'd say no.
    Firstly, because he should've discovered that for himself, if he was any kind of brother.
    But mainly, because telling him about it now might only cause him to feel guilty for NOT seeing the signs. There is nothing he can do now with that knowledge so he'll just be left to carry regret and so forth.

I'd say leave it well alone. It's sad, and unfortunate, but not to be messed with any more.

Dan x

I agree with Dan here - if he stumbles on it himself, then he can deal with the content. If you tell him about it, you are partly to blame for anything he feels as a result. Imo it's not your place to share this I'm afraid.

Spearmint

Quote Originally Posted by DanDanSuperman View Post
    IMHO, I'd say no.
    Firstly, because he should've discovered that for himself, if he was any kind of brother.
    But mainly, because telling him about it now might only cause him to feel guilty for NOT seeing the signs. There is nothing he can do now with that knowledge so he'll just be left to carry regret and so forth.

I'd say leave it well alone. It's sad, and unfortunate, but not to be messed with any more.

Dan x
    I totally agree. It seems like if he should have discovered it for himself pretty easily if he actually tried, but if he hasn't it's best to leave these things alone. If he finds it for himself, then he can choose to deal with the content, but otherwise, just let it rest.

If he is strugling to deal with or understand her death then let him know but don't push him to read

If her tumblr was written to be read publicly, then I think you should tell him. It's his discretion whether or not he wants to read its insight.

MisterD, that is what I sort of feel. She made it public, so that someone would read it and give her feed back. The counter on her blog only shows 2 followers So it is highly unlikely that anyone from the community noticed what she was writing. I have told one of my close friends about her blog and that friend found it really shocking, especially the post that sums up why she tried to kill herself and the reasons behind it. He was mainly shocked because the writing was literally "On the wall" about her unhappiness. I still have no clue if I shoudl say anything though...

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    Just look at the facts you have given us about the blog, it has two followers, you and somebody else, presumably the person you introduced to it. If the blog was written as a diary as opposed to being some sort of epitaph, you cannot claim it will help bring closure to this affair. There is nothing to be served by your proposal to show it to the brother, given what you've told us about it. Bringing the blog to the family’s attention can only serve to cause more pain, at this point. Is that what you really want? Do you have at least one really good reason to show the blog? If so, what is it?

I've got to agree with acorn here. The content of the blog is critical in making such a decision. This very thing happened to me, and my only thought was if I had seen it sooner, I could have done something about it. Fortunately I went to someone who had lost her brother to suicide, and she said that people who commit suicide typically will do it eventually, no matter what the intervention. By showing him the blog, you will only make him and the rest of the family feel all the more guilty, like they could have prevented this if they only knew.

For people who commit suicide, there is a disconnect in the brain. Life is no longer wanted. When I'm very tired or very, very stressed, I experience this. For me, it seems like the next world is very real, and I desperately want to go to it. There is a feeling of euphoria, like a child anticipating Christmas. Once this happens, reason no longer applies. I know we all want answers when a suicide occurs, and perhaps the blog contains all of those answers, but it is all in the past, and nothing can be done to bring this life back. I would let it lie in the past as well.

Reading the signs and recognizing the signs that were around might make him feal that it is all the more his fault. I've seen that personally, even when a person was only an aquantance, if they commit suicide I always ask myself how could I have not known, was there somthing that I missed, could I have prevented it.

With all of that thrown on top of it being his sister, it could actually throw him into a much deeper state of depression. Since I don't know him personally, I can't say one way or the other. If it seems like he blames himself for her death, then no; If he doesn't but is searching for answers, I would say yes but with discression. Understand that if you do tell him, since you were one of two followers, he could shift the blame to you two.

People say that seeing the signs should be obvious, but it really isn't. Even when I was in the military with constant training to know and recognise the "signs" suicides still happened.