Thread: my poor 94 astro :(

Default my poor 94 astro :(

So... it is a sad day for ethel, after giving her a really good lookover once I had some time to get under the van, that I say that she was sold to a scrapper for $400 the same as what I paid for her... She will become an organ donor to cars that need transplants.

The frame was starting to rot out from under her, and the subframe was starting to rot... so it is unfortunate to say that she is not going to be used for transportation anymore...

On the bright side I will hopefully be getting a 1990 pontiac sunbird for $600 the scrapper happened to get a sunbird that has 75,000 on the odometer with brand new everything, not a thing wrong with it. So, hopefully I will be able to buy it... gets 22-23mpg city and in the 30's for highway thought today might be a lucky day, so I bought a few $1 scratch-off's what do you know? I won $2 back... only spent $5 so that was pretty good... should see the car tomorrow, and hoping to buy this saturday

I'm always sad to hear of an Astro reaching its end of days. I had a '92 Astro for a year, as I needed something with an automatic while my clutch-pushing leg was smashed. I've always had a soft spot for the Astros, and mine lived up to the challenge, even after 17 years and a lot of Michigan rust.

Hopefully its delicious reliable innards, especially the 4.3 and the 4L65 transmission give new life to other cars out there.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your car... it's something I have yet to experience, but I did come close. Because of a leak in the coolant tank of my 1992 Mazda B2200 (pickup truck), the engine overheated while I was on the highway. After much trauma, we decided to buy a rebuilt engine to save the truck. It wasn't cheap.

In the end, perhaps you can remember Ethel as a first love, so to speak: gone, but never forgotten, and will always have a special place in your heart.

Good luck on getting the Sunbird, though-- that sounds pretty cool! Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Antropov View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your car... it's something I have yet to experience, but I did come close. Because of a leak in the coolant tank of my 1992 Mazda B2200 (pickup truck), the engine overheated while I was on the highway. After much trauma, we decided to buy a rebuilt engine to save the truck. It wasn't cheap.

In the end, perhaps you can remember Ethel as a first love, so to speak: gone, but never forgotten, and will always have a special place in your heart.

Good luck on getting the Sunbird, though-- that sounds pretty cool! Keep us posted.
    You could've just had the tank replaced/repaired it costs alot but still a ton less than a new/used engine

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

That sucks man there sweet little vans i wouldn't be as accepting as you are if my 7.3 powerstroke was leaving

I have like a 1994-1996 or so astro van that's been in the garage for around 4 years now. Pretty sure it gets shit gas millage but damn it could hold a lot.

xbabyx, 4L65 auto trans? I had the 700R4 auto transmission. Anyways, back on topic, the sunbird has gotten a clean bill of health, and it is in excellent condition so I should be buying it on saturday, once I get paid. Cannot wait to be mobile once again

Quote Originally Posted by dixon View Post
    xbabyx, 4L65 auto trans? I had the 700R4 auto transmission. Anyways, back on topic, the sunbird has gotten a clean bill of health, and it is in excellent condition so I should be buying it on saturday, once I get paid. Cannot wait to be mobile once again
    GM renamed all of their transmissions in 1990. The 700R4 became the 4L65 (4 speed, longitudinal mount, number relative to other numbers to indicate strength), and in the early '90s, depending upon model, it became the 4L65E when it gained electronically controlled shifting. That particular change happened for the Astro/Safari vans in 1993.

Anyways, glad to hear the Sunblur is ready to go, so good luck with the purchase and happy motoring!

I totally understand your sadness, I get affectionate too to cars, and it's always bad news when they get to the end of their life.

It's anyway comforting to know that her still good parts will continue to live under other cars' hoods. There's nothing that gets me more upset than seeing a good engine getting scrapped, sadly the Americans should know what I'm talking about...

My respect to all the people like you who keep "old but good" cars on the roads where they belong, instead of letting them get uselessly wasted in scrapyards!

If a car still is usable, and has quite a bit of life left in it, then I will drive it untill it fails... the van was just unsafe to drive on roads with all of the rotting that was going on with the frame/subframe... when I bought it, it still had a few more thousand miles left in the rear-end before this happened... the engine still has a good long life ahead of it, same for the transmission, battery, alternator... etc.

This sunbird has it's whole life to look forward to... however long that life may be... I really don't like to see when people abuse their cars, as in drive them like they stole them, or are at the races or something... that just puts a lot of excessive wear and tear on the car, and at the end of it, the car will end up in a junkyard, rotting away... this sunbird was babied and maintained properly, which is what will keep happening to it... a vehicle treats you the way you treat it... if you are hard on it, it will be hard on your wallet.