Thread: Which is easier to learn on?

Default Which is easier to learn on?

I posted a while earlier on the "Many Musicians" thread about some of the instruments I play. I did recently acquire some time and money, and bought a custom electric guitar, mostly for show, but now that I think about it, I want to try learning it again.

But which is easier to learn on, acoustic, or electric?
    Like I said, I dropped some cash on a custom, which was mostly for show, but is it easier to learn acoustic, or electric?

This is kind of one of those musician holy wars ;p

I think electric is easiest for learning, as strings tend to be a little easier, necks a little thinner, bodies a little smaller, etc. Plus if you live in an apartment or at home, you can play with no amp or a headphone amp and not drive everyone crazy ;p

Acoustic has some points though... it's a little more pure. Less gimmicks and such. Also with enough distortion (and the current generations taste in music) you can pretty much crank up the effects and just flail away wildly on an electric. Acoustic not so much.

Ultimately I would say start on what you want to ultimately play though. If you see yourself playing an electric, learn electric.

Also tsk tsk for dropping money on an expensive guitar before you can play it. One mans prize guitar is another mans piece of crap. Until you develop your playing style and decide what you want in a guitar, it's kind of silly to spend the big bucks. You'd be better off learning on a El` stratocaster (don't go too cheap though.. $600 is reasonable guitar that will always be playable) and then buying your $3500 dream guitar.

For actually learning to play, I'd highly recommend checking out jamplay. Has a very good dollar for value ratio. They have quite a bit of free content available as samples, but if you are willing to fork out cash on an instrument you can't even play yet, a jamplay subscription shouldn't be too big a deal, and is imo a much better investment ;p

I agree that it's probably easier to learn electric guitar because it's easier to depress the strings, and play bar chords. Of course the bigger issue is, what kind of music do you want to play? That's what really determines acoustic and electric. Since you have an electric, why not go to a music store and take lessons? Get your feet wet and enjoy.

they both are difficult to learn but depends on what styles you want to play which is easier. a good acoustic takes the same amount of prussure to depress the strings. if you buy a cheap guitar (acoustic or electric) chances are that the neck will be warped and the action will be very high making it near impossable to play well (this i know though experence)

I'm not a musician in any way (you can that by the number of times I had to retype the M-word to work out how to spell it (4!)!

I have, however, spent a good while in my misguided youth trying to learn various instruments. I did always find the accoustic easier, but that might have just been because overall I much much prefer the sound an accoustic guitar makes to an electric one. To me an electric guitar just doesn't sound 'right' unless it's some sort of super amazing person playing.

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    This is kind of one of those musician holy wars ;p

I think electric is easiest for learning, as strings tend to be a little easier, necks a little thinner, bodies a little smaller, etc. Plus if you live in an apartment or at home, you can play with no amp or a headphone amp and not drive everyone crazy ;p

Acoustic has some points though... it's a little more pure. Less gimmicks and such. Also with enough distortion (and the current generations taste in music) you can pretty much crank up the effects and just flail away wildly on an electric. Acoustic not so much.

Ultimately I would say start on what you want to ultimately play though. If you see yourself playing an electric, learn electric.

Also tsk tsk for dropping money on an expensive guitar before you can play it. One mans prize guitar is another mans piece of crap. Until you develop your playing style and decide what you want in a guitar, it's kind of silly to spend the big bucks. You'd be better off learning on a El` stratocaster (don't go too cheap though.. $600 is reasonable guitar that will always be playable) and then buying your $3500 dream guitar.

For actually learning to play, I'd highly recommend checking out jamplay. Has a very good dollar for value ratio. They have quite a bit of free content available as samples, but if you are willing to fork out cash on an instrument you can't even play yet, a jamplay subscription shouldn't be too big a deal, and is imo a much better investment ;p
    I already forked out about a thousand on the custom i got, it was just a 300 dollar re-paint of a stratocaster i bought for around 700. I am using an old amp I got for 50 that still works great, and I also got a subscription to jamplay from a recommendation from a friend.

Personally, I find that electrics are easier to learn on. It really depends on what genre of music you play, you wouldn't really use a $5000 Gibson electric for country music, say. Nor would you buy an old acoustic for Heavy Metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar.About.com
    if the person in question frustrates easily, or listens to and wants to play "hard rock" music, definitely think electric guitar. If, however, the person in question wants to learn songs to sing along to, and can handle a slightly steeper learning curve, then an acoustic guitar might be in order.
    Once you've made a decision, take a look at the following page for a few recommendations on specific guitars to buy.
    Guitar.About.Com

Well, personally I don't play guitar, I play bass. But my thought is to play which ever one is HARDER to learn first, because if you can start off forcing yourself to work out the stuff on a harder instrument, the simpler one will be, well, simpler. I treat instrument practice as I would working out for any sport. Your practice should be harder than your performance so the performing will be easy.

I vastly prefer playing electric bass, but still use upright bass to build up finger strength and to look cool when I'm playing jazz lol.

Now as for the difference between acoustic and electric guitar, I cannot say as playing a guitar is so radically different to me than playing bass. However, I'd play an acoustic over an electric to start off because, if nothing else, having that hollow body sitting right up on you allows you to not only hear the music but, for lack of a better term, it allows you to 'Feel' the music as well.

I'd imagine that sounds a bit hippyish, but trust me, it works. I can't even play upright bass anymore without resting half my body on it because I need to kinda synchronize my internal rhythm with the instrument.

However, I'd play an acoustic over an electric to start off because, if nothing else, having that hollow body sitting right up on you allows you to not only hear the music but, for lack of a better term, it allows you to 'Feel' the music as well.
    You actually get this to a certain degree with an electric guitar (a good one anyway). When you play a note, the whole guitar resonates. Love that feeling. I tend to play with the guitar a little off my chest, but I feel it in my fretting hand and my arm (which like any sloppy musician I keep firmly pressed on the guitar body).

I thank all of you for the advice, I do have an old acoustic that I can borrow from my uncle, but as for the electric, I am going to stick with that for now.