Thread: My dog

Unhappy My dog

I'm not sure if the thread belongs here so move it if necessary.

My dog named carmen isn't doing so well. She is having trouble moving, she can't move her back legs that I've seen, she can't lay down without it causing pain for her. I'm not sure what's wrong and I know not all of us are veterinarians but I'd like to know if anyone had animals with similar problems and if you did what did you do to help them?

you don't say how old your dog is, but she sounds aged if her hind legs are packing up. you know more about her, as she is normally and any other symptoms she may have now or may have had recently, so having a google of the symptoms, and of her breed (unless she's a mongrel), will help narrow down the possibilities.

but, just going by the little information you've provided, i think you should be thinking about having her put down. and i put it as blunt as that so that you can face the idea because, i'm guessing from the tone of your post, you don't even want to think about that.

i could say more, but it's best kept simple as you'll have a lot to think about; but you can rest assured that many people, here, have had to face this heartbreaking aspect of life. we can only help you comes to terms with it, though.

She's sharpe with rot, chow, and pitbull mix and about 9 years old. The symptoms started yesterday with a fight with one of my other dogs and got worse today. I've thought about the putting her down but I hope it dosn't come to that, and it might not but she's having similar symptoms to the others that had died.

As Ade mentioned. You didn't give the age or breed of the dog. Some breeds have known hip issues, or if your dog is quite old, it could just be arthritis starting in. Hope it's nothing major, but a trip to the vet sounds in order.
    Sport.

Hope it's nothing major, but a trip to the vet sounds in order.
    I wish I could but since my dad had knee surgery he hasn't been able to go to work and they've stopped paying my family a few paychecks back, and we just don't have the money even when we were getting paid.

Some breeds are more likely to get an infection to the bonemarrow in the spine. If it's not just an injury from the fight, which should heal in a couple days if she's otherwise healthy (and she's getting into fights, a sick dog doesn't do that), that's what it could be. If it is, antibiotics and some rest should take care of it. My dog had it too, and she could barely move her rear legs and had pain when laying down, so from your description it sounds the same. But it could be a million other things, and I'm no vet so don't take my word for it.

You could wait a day and see if it gets better or worse and see if you want to take her the vet then. If it's that infection, she'll just need a short examination and a couple of relatively cheap pills. And if it's a problem with the breed, next time it happens you know what it is. Don't know if that might help to convince your folks, but either way: good luck.

I don't take the view that euthanasia is ever necessary. Painkillers are cheap and readily available, and by the time you have to worry about liver/kidney damage, they are probably needing to take so much that they are going to pass soon anyway. You give your dog every fighting chance you can give her.

Try the painkillers. It might surprise you, she could perk right up. Maybe not walk around well but her emotional health might improve. When you are old and have various infirmities setting in, do you want people to just give up on you? No, you want them to help you through it. Your dog has been there for you, now it is time to be there for her.

I realize that is not a realistic standpoint for a lot of people to hold...most people don't, I'm aware of that. But at this stage, euthanasia is most certainly not warranted. There are other things you can try. She's not ready to go yet (only you can know that for sure but from what you've given us it doesn't sound like she is). It doesn't sound like this is financially viable for you, at least at the moment, but they do manufacture wheelchairs for dogs whose hind legs have given out. If she's otherwise in good spirits...I know it sounds ridiculous, but...well, my dog is a member of my family and I would do for him what I would do for any of my family.

I guess what I am saying is do whatever you can to help her with her old-age ailments.

Aside from the painkillers (save up and get to a vet as soon as you are able), start her on a glucosamine supplement now. I just got a bottle for my 1.5year old dog, $25 for 180 pills, he gets 1 a day (should get 1.5 based on body weight but...that costs more, too =/). He doesn't have hip or joint problems, I give it to him as a preventative. Even though his hips are genetically sound, arthritis plagues any large breed of dog simply due to their size. The glucosamine won't reverse damage already caused by arthritis, or whatever is ailing her, but it will slow down ongoing damage and maybe help with musculature in her hind end, give her a few more months with you maybe. It will take awhile to see the effects of glucosamine so don't expect it all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroWolf View Post
    She's sharpe with rot, chow, and pitbull mix and about 9 years old. The symptoms started yesterday with a fight with one of my other dogs and got worse today. I've thought about the putting her down but I hope it dosn't come to that, and it might not but she's having similar symptoms to the others that had died.
    i'm curious as to how much fighting dog is in her (without pics, we can't tell), but if the other dog is also a fighting dog (as it sounds), then i think you should be thinking about re-homing them with people who have experience with those types of dogs.
    i don't believe that any hound with a visible trace of [any breed of] bull terrier in it, is suitable for the home environment.

no help with your current situation (possibly), but more of an idea to avert a possible future tragedy.

i'm curious as to how much fighting dog is in her (without pics, we can't tell), but if the other dog is also a fighting dog (as it sounds), then i think you should be thinking about re-homing them with people who have experience with those types of dogs.
    i don't believe that any hound with a visible trace of [any breed of] bull terrier in it, is suitable for the home environment.

no help with your current situation (possibly), but more of an idea to avert a possible future tragedy.
    She mainly looks sharpe but we know that she has other breeds (because of their parents) and the other one looks like a rot with wrinkles. The thing is that we have had these type of dogs for about 10 years (even breeding but that was unexpected) and of coarse they get into fights from time to time but they are usually split up easily. I really don't want to give her up though.

Good news! she can walk a little now but she still hurts her, also a I think a few buises from what I can tell but she seems to be getting better.