Thread: Exercise?

Default Exercise?

After a couple of months where my Y membership was lapsed, I re-joined and I have been working out religiously since then (that was only about a week ago).

My muscles are sore as fuck, but I've been through this before. Another week or two, they'll be less sore. I already have more energy, as I usually feel pumped up after an intense cardio workout. Maybe this time I'll actually stick with the weights routine, as well.

Now, if only I can find some other people who are willing to go mountain hiking with me (and my truly novice hiking skills) this summer..... Heh.

Does anybody else here enjoy exercising?

I need to exercise more often; my roommate and I joined a kick-ball team and we both purchased tennis racquets for the courts down the street. But one thing I have done for the past three years... is I walk to work and home five days a week, two miles each way. It's the only thing that keeps me from being a total fat-a**.

Sure, I love exercising (moreover the feeling that comes with/after). Just wish I had more people to do it with; exercising alone I find I don't push myself nearly as hard enough.

I enjoy physical activity, absolutely. I don't specifically enjoy "exercise", as at that point, I'm doing something not because I enjoy it as an activity, but as some sort of chore that I'm "supposed" to do. That said, I've put 700 km on my bike in the last two months, and I walk all over the place (last night I spent over an hour randomly walking around my friend's neighbourhood as I waited for his sorry ass to wake up). Today, as I do pretty frequently, I commuted to work by bike. The commute is 29 km one way, and on the way home, I did not go directly home, so I rode about 33 km on the way home. Oh, and I did the morning's 29 km door-to-door in 1:05:00.

I do also enjoy working out during the winter, but usually only for the first couple of weeks. Then I get bored with it because it becomes a repetitive chore, and I wind up wasting a bunch of money on a gym membership. I also used to hang out in a climbing gym and hike a lot, but these days it just doesn't work out...

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    I enjoy physical activity, absolutely. I don't specifically enjoy "exercise", as at that point, I'm doing something not because I enjoy it as an activity, but as some sort of chore that I'm "supposed" to do. That said, I've put 700 km on my bike in the last two months, and I walk all over the place (last night I spent over an hour randomly walking around my friend's neighbourhood as I waited for his sorry ass to wake up). Today, as I do pretty frequently, I commuted to work by bike. The commute is 29 km one way, and on the way home, I did not go directly home, so I rode about 33 km on the way home. Oh, and I did the morning's 29 km door-to-door in 1:05:00.

I do also enjoy working out during the winter, but usually only for the first couple of weeks. Then I get bored with it because it becomes a repetitive chore, and I wind up wasting a bunch of money on a gym membership. I also used to hang out in a climbing gym and hike a lot, but these days it just doesn't work out...
    I find a good way to maintain interest in exercising at a gym is to listen to some form of podcast (for me Coast to Coast AM or morning/news show). That or exercise with a buddy.

I used to lift solo, I'm looking to get back into it very shortly. It's amazing how much better you can feel everyday when you're doing something. I also wrestle in the winter, but that tears you apart more than anything.

okay, excluding present circumstances, i've been [seriously] exercising since i was about 12. i started many years before, though, after watching Wee Geordie and being inspired.
    after a sporting youth, i settled into a casual routine of exercising at home and, given the lack of space and equipment, i exercised based upon the movement of the body and inspiration came from the aforementioned film and my dad's experiences in martial arts, P.E. and prison.

though i used to go to gyms when i did martial arts, i've never liked them and stopped when i had no need for them: it's bad enough that one trains to the point of vomiting as standard, but when you then have to go back into a hot room full of the stench of sweat and with little oxygen.....well, nuff said.
    okay, gyms have changed a bit over the years (in the UK, at least), but i still won't back to one, for what's the point?
    i [did] get enough exercise by being a manual worker and, from my perspective, it occurred to me that ordinary people only have a need to go to gyms if they aren't working hard enough at their jobs.
    aside from that, most of my mates pop steroids and, unfortunately but truely, the attitudes which are a part of that process, and which lead to other things, aren't something i wish to be involved with.

currently, my exercising involves walking the dog (4 to 6 miles over the hills), side curls, forward triceps curls and, physical condition allowing, some shoulder work. the latter is important at the moment as it helps to hold my shoulder in a comfortable position.
    overall, though, i'm way out of shape because of my injury. i should be able to do one-handed pull-ups and vertical press-ups, but even a standard press-up is pushing things at the moment as the slightest wrong movement can trigger a further ripping of my cartliage, and the month (or months) that takes to recover from.
    i also should be able to do the splits (both types), but i can't be bothered trying as i may need my shoulder to support myself whilst down there.

as with my work, i treat my past-times as exercise, even if that is just some form of maintenance or repair to whatever, but it also includes canoeing, climbing (something i use in work), swimming and whatever else. of course, all that has ended, now.
    i even took what weights and bars i had left to the metal merchants after my last consultation with the surgeon.

I hate exercising, I hate running, but I love soccer... go figure