Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If I put my heart and soul into something it comes out horrible, yet if I halfass it it comes out incredible?

Default If I put my heart and soul into something it comes out horrible, yet if I halfass it it comes out incredible?

With the acquisition of my new internship I came to a realization. Everything in my life that I have worked hard for has failed. Everything that I have half assed has succeeded. Here are examples, pour my heart and soul into a paper I get a B- half ass the following paper I get a near perfect. Half ass a program it turns out incredible do it properly doesn't work at all. Cut classes and what not get all A's. Attend classes and do my best get straight B's. You can see the pattern.

Point being is I handed in my things to the internship organization at the last minute. I half assed my essay and did everything last minute. I got an internship. I did a job search I went trough different places and what not and got dressed hair cut and everything and No job. So it's an odd thing honestly.... in my life if I try too hard I fail yet if I just barely try I get awesome results.... IS this normal? are any of you guys like this? I'm a slacker by nature and well I'd like to see some input in this because of this strange trait/pattern i've recognized in my life.

I find I do much better in just about everything when I take a relaxed (but not quite slacker) approach. At work my job involves a lot of problem solving and design work and I think when I stress out over something (deadline, budget, whatever) even though I'm putting more effort in, the stress effects my ability to be creative and I get less result out. The same can be said about other areas of my life. When I really try to focus on something, my brain locks up and I end up doing a poor job. Maybe this is the case for you as well.

I think this is the case for most people. A lot of people I know, as well as myself, do worse when we actually try. I don't know why this is. For me I'm not sure if it has to do with stress or anything, so I dunno.

I've noticed that a lot of things seem to work out better if you leave them to your subconscious. I barely study for my exams anymore, I just review the material and do 1-2 practice problems so I am familiar with the motions then I can do most exam problems easily.

There are a couple of types of people in the world. There are detail people, and there are big picture people.

Detail people excel with, well, details. They plan well, they notice small things well, and they follow directions very well. Then, there are big picture people. We improvise well, we notice big things and big trends, and we make it up as we go along well. Conversely, big picture people suck at planning and following directions, and we miss all kinds of minute details, and detail people have a lot of trouble improvising, and sometimes miss the big trends and big things, and don't make it up as they go along.

(these are really gross simplifications, but they'll do just fine for what I'm going for here).

Because of this, different people work differently. I'm very much a big picture person. I'm horrible at math because I miss steps or lose bits along the way. I don't always notice minute changes in a room or a person's new haircut. I also am almost pathologically unable to plan anything. But, I'm great with politics, as a lot of it is big ideas about big policy implications, I'll figure out what's going on if suddenly a bunch of people get new haircuts, and I can improvise and engineer a solution to an immediate situation. I believe there are deadlines, and then there are "drop-deads", the former of which can be ignored, and the latter of which I need in order to get anything done at all.

Let me put it like this: I'm starting grad school this fall. When I decided I wanted to go back to school, I, of course, needed to apply to grad schools. I put together three letters of recommendation, wrote two essays, booked and took the GRE, got transcripts around, and took care of a few other odds and ends, and filed my application... ON the day of the stated deadline. From the time I made the decision to go to grad school to applying (on the deadline): Three days. And I was accepted at a top-tier school.

Some people work well with structure and details. These people are incredibly important, as without detail people, like Mr. X, idea people like me would never get anything done. Detail people are the ones that will plan everything out and make sure every i is dotted and t is crossed. Then there are people like me, that work well by improvisation, will crash and burn if we get bogged down in the details, and make plans missing key details that ultimately result in their failure. We instead improvise and make it up as we go along.

That's not a failing, that's just a reality. Perhaps you are like me, a big picture person that works better by improvisation.

I always did better and accomplished more when I was overwhelmed with work. I think I had to organize my time better, and I was constantly focusing. Part of doing well/not doing as well may just be the luck of the draw. It may be that you work harder on the things you know a more difficult. You may get the lower grade just because they are significantly more difficult. But if you had not worked so hard, would you have gotten a D?

Quote Originally Posted by kwis View Post
    I've noticed that a lot of things seem to work out better if you leave them to your subconscious. I barely study for my exams anymore, I just review the material and do 1-2 practice problems so I am familiar with the motions then I can do most exam problems easily.
    Ah, undergrad... I did about half my undergrad without even bothering to buy books, let alone study them or do review problems.

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    Ah, undergrad... I did about half my undergrad without even bothering to buy books, let alone study them or do review problems.
    Mind if I ask what field?

I second this, it all depends on what you're studying, You can get away without buying books for stuff like Programming (online resources galore) But sometimes you need books.

Television. That said, I never bothered to buy the books for a bunch of the general ed stuff that I took, either. Admittedly, had I been a pharmacy student or an engineering student, I probably would have had to buy the books. And, I suspect I'll have to and want to buy the books as an urban planning grad student.