Thread: Go Army

Default Go Army

So I want to join the army to become a sniper, but I want to know if they woud accept me?

Yeas diagnosed with WPW (Wolff parkinsons white syndrome) and had it sugicly fixed. But I was wondering if because I even had it if they would accept me?

You probably want to check with a recruiter for an official answer, but this may provide some info: Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Appointment -- Heart (long winded version can be found here: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/c...df/613003p.pdf)

Quote from page: "Current or history of Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome (426.7), unless it has been successfully ablated for a period of 2 years without recurrence of arrhythmia and now with a normal electrocardiogram, is disqualifying. "

Don't know if anyone can truly answer this, but here is what was on the Army Web Site: Might want to go there and read more.
    Physical and Health

In general the US Army requires you to be:

Free of contagious diseases that would likely endanger the health of other personnel.
    Free of medical conditions or physical defects that would require excessive time lost from duty for necessary treatment or hospitalization or would likely result in separation from the Army for medical unfitness.
    Medically capable of satisfactorily completing required training.
    Medically adaptable to the military environment without the necessity of geographical area limitations.
    Medically capable of performing duties without aggravation of existing physical defects or medical conditions.

You can read more about the height/weight standards for soldiers here.

Some other general rules that apply include:

Waivers may be requested for medical defects, provided you are not under the care of a physician or taking medication for the defect.
    The Standards of Medical Fitness states that "Current or history of diabetes mellitus (250) does not meet the standard." If you take pills or insulin shots for diabetes, you are disqualified. If you can control it by watching your food, there is a very slim chance you might get a waiver.
    Waivers are NOT authorized for confirmed positive results for the presence of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) or antibody.
    You will be tested for the presence of alcohol and drugs. If you refuse to submit to drug or alcohol testing, you will will be denied further processing and enlistment.

And there are a LOT of other conditions that can disqualify you from joining the US Army. If you have a specific question about a condition, you should fill out this form and click the Submit button to have someone contact you to discuss your specific case.

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    You probably want to check with a recruiter for an official answer, but this may provide some info: Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Appointment -- Heart (long winded version can be found here: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/c...df/613003p.pdf)

Quote from page: "Current or history of Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome (426.7), unless it has been successfully ablated for a period of 2 years without recurrence of arrhythmia and now with a normal electrocardiogram, is disqualifying. "
    Well that really puts a hold on things, cause it still F-N happens.... Ugh. Tanks for the help! =)

You can still go talk to someone. Absolute worse thing they can do is say no.

It's a personal choice I guess. Do you want to hold onto the chance that it might be possible some day... or do you want to risk being told flat out no... but also have the possibility of them saying yes. It's something to think about and not as easy a decision as seems on the outside. Personally I'd want to know what the realistic chances are.. so if the answer was no, I could focus on something else that interested me, but as said, this is a personal decision you will need to make.

And my condolences. You already know this, but nothing more frustrating than being held back by things you have little or no control over. It is life, but it sucks sometimes.

In all odds, you will never become a army, marine, airforce, etc, etc sniper. Not because you have parkison's or a form of it though that will factor in.
    The reality is that most people really, really,really suck with sniping and the armed forces don't really want to hand those people 50 calibier sniper rifles or whatever other weapon they get for the missions.

Also if you want to be a army sniper... Why?

Go into competition shooting if you want to be "cool". since walking 5 plus miles after repealing from a helicopter or skydiving while wading trough dirt, mud, dust and 120 degree heat only to wait forever and have the mission be called off. Isn't that cool.

oh plus people will be trying to kill you.

Trust me, it's nothing like this at all.

Also a motorcycle won't blow up like that. The good guy would of still died.

You're gonna need a lot more researching to do kid. Being a sniper is no easy thing--ain't like Halo. I suggest to go to the range and get familiar with rifles first. If you can't handle a rifle, why even bother trying to go to marksman status? Few ever make it to sniper/marksman out of the hundreds chosen, so best to keep those eyes looking good. Also, you're gonna need to be a solid person all around, you need to be patient and not cocky. No branch is looking for those.

Alas, you need to be prepared to have whatever thrown at you. If you can even survive basic then it's doubtful that you'll do the real deal. Not to shoot you down, but, you are really sounding a little too optimistic.

This about it this way: sit on a hill, search a field well over a mile off, locate the following without moving from your perch: 1 pair binoculars, 1 tire jack, 1 3-ring binder (dark green), 1 canteen (khaki canvas cover), 1 pair boots (black, matte finish), 1 POW/MIA Flag (8", on a 14" x 3/4" pole). Any or all of the above might be partially concealed, in a tree, etc. Find and accurately sketch the locations of all items. Correctly estimate the distance to each item to within 30'. Take less than 30 minutes to complete this task.