Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Friend Told Me I'm Dead to Him

Catperson

Default My Friend Told Me I'm Dead to Him

This will only make sense to those who play World of Warcraft, so if you don't, don't be suprised if you don't understand the lingo.

I've been in a guild full of wonderful people that I've formed friendships with for months. I was real ID friends with several people, including the GM. I just got done having a conversation with him... I told him I'm server transfering. Not guild transfering, but leaving the server altogether. I did this because the guild was missing raid nights, because I constantly got yelled at, but mainly because the game had grown dull and I just wanted a fresh start. And, here's the best part: because I loved the guild so much and couldnt bear to leave them, I offered to leave my other 85 in the guild if they needed me. Because they always did, and I wanted to help. I also *tried* to give him a 1-week notice, and even said that I would come back someday. He told me that I'm dead to him, removed me from real ID, and kicked me from the guild. A friendship broken in 15 minutes.

Anyway, I'm going through with the transfer as I speak. Nothing else to do now... I could use a hug.

*HUG!* =)

Sorry about your GM friend acting quite immature after the news. That's just ridiculous!

keep trying to talk to him on your other lvl 85 and simply wait for him to realize he's overreacted. And if he doesn't, then how good of a friend was he?

I know that for some people playing WoW is as important as maintaining a job. Some people maintain jobs solely for playing WoW! That being said, I understand that you may take the game seriously and because of such, deserve to find a guild worthy of your ambition. You shouldn't have to handicap yourself because they aren't as serious as you.

However, you don't mention the other friends from the guild. Are they at least more reasonable about the situation? Maybe they could talk with the GM?

Catperson

I'm actually in their vent right now, they haven't noticed me.

His words just now "If you're going to leave the guild, I don't wanna hear excuses. I don't want you to try and make me feel better. Just leave, and never talk to me again."

I wonder if he noticed me...

Ouch! I play WoW too, and I agree with BigKid25, that's a pretty immature thing for your GM friend to do. (I'm an AB. I know immature.) People come, people go, and he should have said something like, "OK, well, keep in touch and we might need your other 85 sometimes." *hugs Catperson*

Quote Originally Posted by Catperson View Post
    His words just now "If you're going to leave the guild, I don't wanna hear excuses. I don't want you to try and make me feel better. Just leave, and never talk to me again."
    How old is this guy? he sounds like a bratty teenager. or even a pre-teen. Quite frankly, it's no wonder your previous guild was doing poorly. That sounds like poor leadership and an obvious lack of communication and empathy on his part. I can't imagine this is the first time he's done this unless he was SOOO hurt by you leaving that he's acting rashly like a toddler and not thinking.

Catperson

He's like 25ish. Older than me, I know for sure.

Okkkkaayy... I'm not a gamer - never have been and probably never will be ... I know what WoW is though (a friend of mine was so into it, that we hardly saw him anymore)...
    I mean what did you expect? Real friendship is usually not something grown through any of these "channels" - it's too virtual - it's too remote.... In reality it would be like meeting someone, hanging around having real talks and see where that takes you.
    a friendship is usually formed quickly - but a lasting friendship is RARE.
    So I might suggest to not get too emotionally involved with the "game-scene" and stuff...

If he reacted so badly to such a minor thing he might not have been that good of a friend to start with. People you meet online find it easier to break up friendships because they don't actually have to have to look the other person in the eye.

I wouldn't feel bad about this. You tried to do the right thing. His childish response has everything to do with his childish nature, and nothing to do with how you handled things.

Quote Originally Posted by Catperson View Post
    He's like 25ish. Older than me, I know for sure.
    That's pretty unacceptable behavior for anyone over 12 or 13. Sounds like you're better off without him.