Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wet the Bed for the First Time in my Life - Linked to Sleep Apnea? CPAP?

Default Wet the Bed for the First Time in my Life - Linked to Sleep Apnea? CPAP?

Recently I had a sleep study and got diagnosed with mild Sleep Apnea (osa). They prescribed me a CPAP machine and on the 2nd night I used it, I woke up with a very wet diaper. I don't wear them every night but I sure was glad I did!

This was the first time since maybe about age 3 that I have peed in my bed; my bladder is made of iron and I always wake up. My wife and I are guessing that it maybe had something to do with the CPAP machine causing me to sleep extra deep. If it happens again, I'm going to talk to the Doc but I was curious if anyone has had a similar experience. I've read that untreated Sleep Apnea can cause bedwetting - but the treatment for OSA causing it?

I can't really say that I lived the same thing as you did but one time, I was studying in my room and I fell asleep with the book on my face and I woke up with quite a wet diaper.

its a possibility that it could be linked to it, or you subconsciously knew you had the diaper on and you took advantage of it

It could just be that you were able to fall into a deeper sleep than usual. My guess is that it will take a few nights for your body to adjust to it, and then everyting will go back to normal.

Yes getting a full deeper sleep could cause this to happen. When I started using a CPAP, diapers became a real life saver for me. It allowed me to sleep even deeper and I really needed that sleep.

Hey there. I have severe sleep Apnea and for years I have used a Cpap. I have never wet the bed or Diaper before . Do you have or use the humidifier with the machine? Maybe that is causing you to take in more fluid through the night. The humidifier has caused me to wake up to use the bathroom more often. but I have never experienced bed wetting even while using the humidifier.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnythehorse View Post
    Hey there. I have severe sleep Apnea and for years I have used a Cpap. I have never wet the bed or Diaper before . Do you have or use the humidifier with the machine? Maybe that is causing you to take in more fluid through the night. The humidifier has caused me to wake up to use the bathroom more often. but I have never experienced bed wetting even while using the humidifier.
    Yes - I do have one with a humidifier; it is something I really need because I have the tendency to get congested overnight. Even before I got the cpap, we've been using a humidifier in the room and it works brilliant for keeping my nose clear.

I kind of doubt though that it would add enough fluid to cause me to wet the bed; I mean the reservoir is like 2cups and it isn't even empty overnight.

---------- Post added at 21:51 ---------- Previous post was at 21:48 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by checkingoutall View Post
    Yes getting a full deeper sleep could cause this to happen. When I started using a CPAP, diapers became a real life saver for me. It allowed me to sleep even deeper and I really needed that sleep.
    I kind of think this is the best explanation for it at the moment. It is interesting to hear I"m not the only one although a quick search on google doesn't reveal bedwetting to be a known side effect of CPAP use.

It hasn't happened since that first time a couple days ago but my wife has begun insisting I wear a diaper at night "just in case"
    ...ok...dont mind if I do

---------- Post added 20-05-2011 at 13:42 ---------- Previous post was 17-05-2011 at 21:51 ----------

Well it has happened two more times in the last few nights. And that is even after my wife waking waking up in the middle of the night. I think I am going to visit the doctor next week and run it by him.
    As fun as it is to wear diapers and lot, its worrisome to have This start out of nowhere especially when no one else seems to haveheard of it.

My wifey have sleep apena and she rarely wets the bed... very rare. So far for past 3 years being with her, I never see her wet the bed. And she doesn't use cpap machine or something like that.

Also, I don't wear diapers in the bed. My body seem to know whether I wear diapers or not, and if I do, 90% chance, I will wake up with wet diaper on (and risking leaking on the mattress). I have history of bedwetting so I avoid wear diapers at night time so no risk to weaken my bladder again.