Thread: Ptsd?

Default Ptsd?

So I need a little clearing up about something. My aunt says she has post tramadic stress disorder from her son getting in a car wreck and his 2 friends dieing. But her son wasn't driving.

So now she says she is afraid to go on highways and stuff, but she wasnt in the wreck! So my question is, can someone have PTSD from somthing they haven't been in?

By it's very definition yes. Post (after) Traumatic (some sort of trauma/accident) Stress (anxiety and upset) Disorder (a medical issue).

So she's feeling stressed and panicky after someone close to her had a massive accident. I don't know if it's a full blown case of PTSD - but it's entirely logical that she wouldn't want to go back on the highway if she feels they aren't a safe place to be!

Was this a self-diagnosis or did a medical professional say that she has it? I'm sure she's traumatized, but I doubt it's PTSD. Then again, I'm not qualified to say.

i dont think theres any clear cut guidelines for diagnosis of ptsd,i have seen its effects in vets of the iraq and vietnam war in its own respect pretty easy to spot if you know what to look for aka flashbacks,nightmares,change in behavour or patterns.but also know a guy who claims he got ptsd during a greatful dead concert. i used to drink with a guy who whenever you even sead the word nam dropped whatever he was doing and got a glazed trance like look on his face than wud get mad over something minor like cigerette ash on the floor regardless of his mood before.has she seen a doctor or counceler about it?

Quote Originally Posted by sdogg View Post
    i dont think theres any clear cut guidelines for diagnosis of ptsd,i have seen its effects in vets of the iraq and vietnam war in its own respect pretty easy to spot if you know what to look for aka flashbacks,nightmares,change in behavour or patterns.but also know a guy who claims he got ptsd during a greatful dead concert. i used to drink with a guy who whenever you even sead the word nam dropped whatever he was doing and got a glazed trance like look on his face than wud get mad over something minor like cigerette ash on the floor regardless of his mood before.has she seen a doctor or counceler about it?
    No I don't think she has. I don't know just curious.

So then technically I had PTSD then? Because I used to play COD4 everyday when I got home with a friend online, and I'd get so into it I'd feel te sensation of falling when I fell in the game. (I know I had no life then). But at school I'd hear a noise like in the game and I'd think I was playing the game again. I would just space off and see the whole game moving and everything. Haha.

P.S. I don't play games as much after I told my friends about that, they cut me off. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by BBalljustin View Post
    So then technically I had PTSD then? Because I used to play COD4 everyday when I got home with a friend online, and I'd get so into it I'd feel te sensation of falling when I fell in the game. (I know I had no life then). But at school I'd hear a noise like in the game and I'd think I was playing the game again. I would just space off and see the whole game moving and everything. Haha.
    I'm not sure a vet would approve of you claiming to have PTSD! At least, if you got it from COD you seriously need to see a doctor!

Unless she's been officially diagnosed by a doctor with PTSD I would not jump straight to that conclusion. Yeah she can feel some apprehension/anxiety about getting on a highway. But I dont know much, I can ask my shrink today for you. Seeing her for PTSD related stuff anyhow. As for playing COD4 and getting PTSD highly unlikely. Its a bit different sitting on a couch or chair and pushing a button than pulling a trigger.