Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who *spoiler warning*

Default Doctor Who *spoiler warning*

I thought seeing as the new series has only just started, it would be good to start a thread discussing the week's episode?

I'm a massive Doctor Who fan - enough to forgive the crazy paradoxes Moffat has been bringing in...

That said, I wasn't that impressed by yesterday's (14/05) episode... seemed to be a bit of a filler!

Any one else agree?

Cool thread Eeyore, I love Doctor Who too!

I have to say I disagee with you about yesterday's episode. Without posting any spoilers, I think it was a great episode for the Doctor as a character, because of the character they had him playing against and the relationship between them.

I'm interested to see where they go with the timeline of the 1100 year old Doctor from the first episode. They seemed to do pretty well with the paradox of the Doctor and River Song for the last year or so, so I'm hopeful they'll get some great stories from it

I really liked the episode, mainly for the reason explained above, the doctor has always been just a 'mad hatter' sort of character; I found it rather nice to get a peering look at what lies beneath the surface.

I think the River Song story is going to come to one hell of an end - there's certainly a lot that needs to be explained well!

I can't really see how they can do anything but change the Doctor's time line - otherwise the last Doctor will be Matt Smith (as he died in that regenerative body...)

I agree with you over the Doctor's character development in this week's episode - but I felt the underlying story with "house" could have been developed more - I still don't know what exactly it is!

---------- Post added at 21:27 ---------- Previous post was at 21:26 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alphacore View Post

I love Doctor Who too! I thought this episode was fantastic, and was a departure from the ordinary. Of course, it was written by Neil Gaiman (Coraline, Stardust, Good Omens, Sandman, Neverwhere, MirrorMask, etc.), so we might expect him to put his own stamp on it.

As for whether it was "filler" -- I'm not sure. Neil Gaiman is obviously not part of the regular writing team for the show, so he's not part of developing the story arc for this particular season/series, but of course as the producer, Moffat has the final say about the script, and there are most likely things in this episode that he inserted to fit it in.

The visual effects in this episode were beautiful -- they seem to have mastered the art of blurry, dusty energy fields that seem organic rather than the usual clean, sharp look of CGI effects.

I LOVED last night's episode. Definitely my favorite this season. But this season is exciting me.

The only fear I have is how MANY threads Moffat is throwing out. I hope he answers them all at the end of the season, or this is going to get in LOST territory. Or so I've heard, (I've never watched Lost. :P)

The only thing I've had a problem with was how CHEAP the special effects were in the episode last week. The Black Spot. It was obvious that that was the episode they decided to skimp on.

Slightly unrelated, I'm SO happy we're getting them on the same day as England in America this year. I hated having to wait three weeks or steal it online.

Loopygone

I really enjoyed last nights episode, and I'm really digging Moffet's run, it seems to be a bit more grown up and expecting the user to think a little more. I also love how the doctor isn't a know it all any more, he's much more flying by the seat of his pants.

I do agree that this episode could of been developed more, it could of easily been turned into a movie length show. I also think this is an issue with moffet and co, their episodes are so big that they always feel a little bit crammed it. Sadly it has to be 45mins long instead of an hour for US tv ;.;

Also, loving Rory, he's jumped leaps and bounds from incidental character to a strong person in his own right. Such a shame that he also seems to be the redshirt of who at the moment :P.

Also, is it just me or doesn't this season seem...darker...than the other ones? Granted, this is the only season I've watched in earnest, but a lot of the lightheartedness in the earlier seasons seems to be dropped at a moments notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    I really enjoyed last nights episode, and I'm really digging Moffet's run, it seems to be a bit more grown up and expecting the user to think a little more. I also love how the doctor isn't a know it all any more, he's much more flying by the seat of his pants.

I do agree that this episode could of been developed more, it could of easily been turned into a movie length show. I also think this is an issue with moffet and co, their episodes are so big that they always feel a little bit crammed it. Sadly it has to be 45mins long instead of an hour for US tv ;.;

Also, loving Rory, he's jumped leaps and bounds from incidental character to a strong person in his own right. Such a shame that he also seems to be the redshirt of who at the moment :P.
    I agree completely! I hate that too, that we in America usually get a scene cut so we can have all the commercials fit in. BBC America usually gives us the full thing if it's a season opener or closer though.