Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to pronounce...?

Default How to pronounce...?

So, I was reading a book the other day, Artemis Fowl and the Time Paradox, which got me to wonder....

One of the character's names, I kid you not, is N1. Now, in the first book that he was featured in, I wrote him off as N1, forgetting the "" between them. I've heard it thrown around that it's a math term... but I can't find anything at all as to how it is said. I was wondering, as to anyone who may know how one would say that? I'm thinking, now, that it would be straight out "N degree 1".

It was getting really annoying to me, having to substitute "N1" whenever he was mentioned... I'm kind of particular about when I mispronounce things like that :X. Especially when I go to talk to someone irl about it, so I can't just copy and paste the degree symbol.

Going with what BruanHam had said, it might be "Number one."

"No." = Number, though. I've never seen a degrees symbol used to replace the letter O before.

Well, that would all make sense... Given the circumstances of the book he appeared in, and the plot and everything.

I even googled it, and it only gave me complex equations, and some band of some kind.... lol

They used to superscript the 'o' in "no" to represent 'number', it's not actually a degrees sign. It's kind of antiquated nowadays, though. I think mainly so it didn't read as "No, (you cannot have) 1"

It really is meant to read as "Number 1" though.

It now makes a lot more sense to me. I guess the question is answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Taihaku View Post
    Going with what BruanHam had said, it might be "Number one."

"No." = Number, though. I've never seen a degrees symbol used to replace the letter O before.
    If it was No1 people would read it as "no one".

Quote Originally Posted by Zephy View Post
    If it was No1 people would read it as "no one".
    That would be why it is spelled: "No."

The period is not the end of the sentence. It shows an abbreviation. ...As they often do.

"No. 1" would be the way the name would be spelled.

And people would naturally read it as "No one." As long as they know what it means, 'tis all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Taihaku View Post
    That would be why it is spelled: "No."

The period is not the end of the sentence. It shows an abbreviation. ...As they often do.

"No. 1" would be the way the name would be spelled.

And people would naturally read it as "No one." As long as they know what it means, 'tis all good.
    How do you sign a birth certificate with a period AND a space in it? >:

Quote Originally Posted by Zephy View Post
    How do you sign a birth certificate with a period AND a space in it? >:
    You don't number the baby!

"Josh D. Lastname." The "D" is his middle name, abbreviated by a period. :<