Thread: My relationship with my dad is headed down the drain.

Unhappy My relationship with my dad is headed down the drain.

I just thought I'd share what happened yesterday and what is going to happen today between me and my dad and your opinions of it.

My dad called me yesterday and asked me why I dont call him. I told him that i dont know why i dont call and told him that he doesnt call me. So he gets mad at me and starts yelling, telling me to cut the bull shit and that I only call him if i want something. I told him that's not true because the last few times we hung out was when we did nothing involving money. I asked him why he can't call me if he's my dad. He said that we had this conversation before and that we agreed to call each other. If we agreed to call each other then why am I supposed to call him all the time?

So I end up getting mad and crying and wanting to punch him in the face. My mom takes the phone and tells him about himself. He calls me soft and says that I need to toughen up. At the end of talking to my mom he says that he wants to hear exactly how I feel about him with no sugarcoating and without my moms interference. Ok if that's what he wants then i'll definitely give him my feelings today. Im waiting for him to call me now so we can talk. I don't know if i'll end up ending our relationship or what but he's gonna be hurt today.

I feel for you, friend.

My dad and I didn't always see eye to eye and we've had some brutal fights. We fought over everything in the past. It has gotten to the point where if he didn't have to work so much we would have had eachother killed.

It's hard fighting with someone so close to you. Thankfully my father and I have come to terms on almost everything. A lot has happened im the last couple years and we have grown closer because of it. I thought for sure when I was 18 I'd be gone and never speak to him again. He's a major source of support and I have the utmost respect for him.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't give up on him yet. I hope that when you lay all your cards on the table and you say what has to be said that your actions make him stop and think. He's your father and as rough as things are now you might find yourself regretting ending the relationship. You might not think it now but you will miss him when he's gone.

I wish you the best of luck.

I haven't shared your situation, but I sincerely feel for you. I wish you the best of luck with it - I get the feeling there's a lot under the covers that you haven't been able to share in the OP? I'm also assuming you've moved out from your parents?

I guess if it's got to the stage where he wants to hear it straight, you need to have an honest discussion with him about it all. I won't pretend to know all the answers, but I'm of the general opinion that if he wants a straight talk, honesty is the best option. I expect you will both be hurt by it; but, if it becomes inconsoleable, at least you've told him everything on your mind. Also, in a lot of these cases, honesty can actually make a stronger bond.

I know that it wasn't until I had a massive falling out with my father that we actually saw eye to eye. In fact, our relationship is the best it's ever been as a result - almost as if we're equals now.

Again, best of luck, and I really hope it all works out for you!

i might of read this wrong...but from they way you type it out it seems thats your father WANTS to be your father
    idk what it's like to be called by my dad. and when i call him he never answers...heck he never says hey on face book

When we do hang out we have fun...but those days are rare now because he's "too busy" to hang out anymore...we are pretty much acquaintances now...nothing more, nothing less. i hardly know him...he hardly knows me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikrit View Post
    i might of read this wrong...but from they way you type it out it seems thats your father WANTS to be your father
    idk what it's like to be called by my dad. and when i call him he never answers...heck he never says hey on face book

When we do hang out we have fun...but those days are rare now because he's "too busy" to hang out anymore...we are pretty much acquaintances now...nothing more, nothing less. i hardly know him...he hardly knows me.
    If he wanted to be my father then he would call me not sit back and let me grow up without him. Sorry that your relationship with your dad is non existent.

---------- Post added at 14:30 ---------- Previous post was at 14:22 ----------

I wont give up on him yet. I'm gonna say what I have felt for years and try to move on from it. Maybe this is the time where things get cleared and start over.

I fell ya on this. I ended my relationship with my dad in the same way. My parents got divorced and he moved away. He found a new wife with kids and decided that was his family. He never called me or my little brother. On my 18th birthday he didn't even call me. The next day I called him and let him know exactly how I felt about him and the way he treated me and my brother. I'm now 27 and I've seen him 5 times since I was 17 and every time we didn't talk.

I decided if he didn't want to be in my life then I was fine with that. Maybe one day he will realize his new wifes kids aren't his and he lost his real kids due to his stupidity and come crawling back but I really don't care if he does.

I wish you luck and maybe one day your dad will realize exactly what he lost.

willdlover

Its like that with me and every on but my dad.

I think you should meet your dad half way and make an effort, but frankly, I think he's an ass. He's forgetting that he's the adult, and is responsible for you, not the other way around. It looks like if you are going to have some sort of relationship with your dad, you are going to have to be the mature one. Maybe one day your dad will grow up and you can have a better relationship. For that reason, don't burn any bridges behind you. I feel for you, and wish things were better.

Sorry to hear this happening. That sorta same thing happened to me and my dad. We don't really have much relationship anymore in recent years. Especially after the transition, we don't talk much anymore. He eventually stop responding to my e-mails or if he ever respond, it's always extremely short (usually 1 or 2 short sentences) and show no interest to keep in touch with me. Last year, for first time in my life, he never wish me a happy birthday. So I didn't wish him a happy birthday either about 2 months later. Oh well, at least I have my mom and we are pretty close.

I hope your dad realize that he have to communicate with you if he want to keep you in his life. Hope it goes well for you.