Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Why don't stores sell good diapers?

  1. #1

    Default Why don't stores sell good diapers?

    I've always wondered why most stores in the U.S. only sell depends and the lightest-protection Tena products and nothing else. I can't buy Attends off the shelf in Seattle and some stores don't even sell Depend Maximum Protection. I wonder if they think that they will not make money off thick, comfy and absorbent diapees or if they have some kind of agreement with manufacturers. Most store diapers leave me with the tell tale wet patch.
    I know all the best diapers are available to order so it's all good and well. It's just an observation and I was wondering if anyone else has ever wondered the same thing.

  2. #2

    Default

    I expect they'd sell some of the higher quality diapers if they were readily available but I tend to doubt it would be enough to make it worth giving them shelf space. I don't think most people who have a problem have a very severe one and the products that are available help to manage it in an effective and discreet way. The products we tend to prefer are generally less discreet and more expensive.

  3. #3

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by lilmuse View Post
    I wonder if they think that they will not make money off thick, comfy and absorbent diapees or if they have some kind of agreement with manufacturers.
    This answers your question. Most people who buy adult diapers are incontinent. Most people who are incontinent don't want the world to know, so they don't want extremely thick diapers that crinkle loudly and bulge like hell.

  4. #4
    forward

    Default

    As Trevor mentioned, most incontinent people have relatively light incontinence, so they don't need to use the larger, bulkier diapers that we prefer. And many of the people with more severe incontinence live in nursing homes that have their own supplies of diapers.

    There may also be an element of corporate inertia to it... right now all the big diaper brands are thin, and no one wants to introduce a new diaper that's radically different and could become a big flop.

  5. #5

    Default

    That and demand. They don't stock the good ones because people may not buy them.. and they wasted their money. Most people, like was said, don't want the big, amazingly fantastic diapers we do. XD

  6. #6
    forward

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by SecretDprLover View Post
    That and demand. They don't stock the good ones because people may not buy them.. and they wasted their money. Most people, like was said, don't want the big, amazingly fantastic diapers we do. XD
    That's a good point. Many people would rather buy a cheap, crappy product that has to be replaced regularly than shell out money for something that's more expensive but is a better value in the long run.

  7. #7

    Default

    Hmm, yeah I think it's mostly because most people don't need a lot of absorbency. If every elderly person wet themselves like most of us do, they'd stop buying the lesser brands.

    But I think another thing is that Depends is backed by Kimberly Clark; being such a successful business gives them the ability to wipe away as much of the competition as possible. Very few stores--if any--really 'specialize' in adult diapers, so they can only have so many different brands.

  8. #8

    Default

    Yes, and keep in mind, the majority of their buyers only suffer from extremely mild incontinence, eg women that have problems primarily as a result of going through childbirth. And they will avoid using them at any cost. Consequently, a product with low absorbency works perfectly.
    One thing I think all adult diaper brands need to catch up on is tabs and the refastenability thereof. Baby diapers have it down, why not their larger cousins? Velcro tabs work very well, especially if you need to adjust for fit, or if you are completely inco, to check yourself. In general, I don't really get why so many adult diapers are still plastic backed...

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by winnerchickendinner View Post
    Yes, and keep in mind, the majority of their buyers only suffer from extremely mild incontinence, eg women that have problems primarily as a result of going through childbirth. And they will avoid using them at any cost. Consequently, a product with low absorbency works perfectly.
    One thing I think all adult diaper brands need to catch up on is tabs and the refastenability thereof. Baby diapers have it down, why not their larger cousins? Velcro tabs work very well, especially if you need to adjust for fit, or if you are completely inco, to check yourself. In general, I don't really get why so many adult diapers are still plastic backed...
    I guess perspective matters. From the viewpoint of only liking plastic backed diapers, it seems to me like the kind that I like has become quite small. Of store-bought brands, only Depends remain plastic backed and only for their Fitted Maximum Protection. I don't begrudge people the faux cloth covers if that's what they like, but I'd prefer not to lose the only thing that appeals to me in the bargain.

  10. #10

    Default

    Well, I wasn't saying this about the abdl community, I was directing it at non ABDL incontinent people.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-Dec-2010, 00:24
  2. Which shops sell non-Depends diapers ?
    By ptisimba in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-Jul-2010, 22:52
  3. good diapers in medical supply stores?
    By Emileigh in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-Jan-2009, 00:22
  4. what shops in england will sell diapers big enough for me
    By Little ollie in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 14-Feb-2008, 14:11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.