Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Toddler/Child Racism?

Arrow Article: Toddler/Child Racism?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/n...picy-food-racist,-say-report.html

I think it's good, that they're taking action against using words such as "paki" and whatnot, or saying one group of people smells. But saying "yuk" to a food you like is now racist? That's really stupid. I'm not too fond of biscuits, so I guess I'm racist against all the Southern Americans?

How dare you. You shameless, SHAMELESS girl. What did those Southern Americans ever do to you?! O=<

But really. I thought society had too much emphasis on political correctness before. But this is just ridiculous.

Hmm, "This could include a child of as young as three who says "yuk" in response to being served unfamiliar foreign food." I would be interested in seeing the actual wording from the National Child Bureau and what context it is in. The Telegraph is a staunchly right-wing paper and this is exactly the kind of things that gets its readership excited enough to spit out out their tea over breakfast and cry 'political correctness gone mad' - it's what they want to hear.

Also, what's a biscuit in the this context? I would know it as what you would call a cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaiden View Post
    Also, what's a biscuit in the this context? I would know it as what you would call a cookie.
    To be honest - I'm not too sure, I've never heard one. But one thing that I've always heard, was all the Southerns eat biscuits and gravy for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, lol. I was just using it as an example. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Mandi View Post
    I think it's good, that they're taking action against using words such as "paki" and whatnot, or saying one group of people smells. But saying "yuk" to a food you like is now racist? That's really stupid. I'm not too fond of biscuits, so I guess I'm racist against all the Southern Americans?
    ITA with you, Mandi! The food part is absolutely ridiculous! Who doesn't have strong likes and dislikes in food items, no matter what your age? Plus a toddler really is too young to even have any conception of what racism is. My daughter always gagged on potatoes as a toddler. Guess that made her prejudiced against Idahoians(sp?). I don't care much for oriental dishes because I no longer have the back teeth to chew them up easily. Hmmm.....I better hurry and get those false teeth to be able to chew again before someone points a finger at me and screams, "Oriental Racist!!!

~Pramrider
    Last edited by Pramrider; 08-Jul-2008 at 14:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaiden View Post

To be honest - I'm not too sure, I've never heard one. But one thing that I've always heard, was all the Southerns eat biscuits and gravy for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, lol. I was just using it as an example. :P
    So you're just randomly maligning quickbreads now? What's next, cornbread? Irish soda bread? Where will it all end?!?

Biscuits (the non-cookie kind) are brilliant, quick and easy to make, even without the horrible dough from a tube. As Akira just said, they're flakey. That's really their main attribute. The process is a little bit cookie-like, as you roll out dough and cut out the biscuits with a cutter if you're all fancy (a water glass will do nicely). They're tasty served hot with butter or jam if you're not inclined to having them with gravy, but I think they achieve their highest destiny under hamburger sausage gravy.

Here's some good enough looking biscuits (although that nearest one looks like it might have been in the oven just a minute too long:

All Purpose Biscuit and Pancake Mix

My great grandfather had a pretty much unbroken record of biscuits and gravy breakfasts for many years. I can only imagine he must have been terrifically active, since it's a fattening kind of breakfast and he was a regular-sized guy. Then again, he may not have been eating much for the rest of the day.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/n...picy-food-racist,-say-report.html

The taking action against any word is retarded. It's not words that are harmful, but the intent behind them. Once you ban one word, stuff like this happens. It's a slippery slope.

Mmm...Biscuits...KFC ones are yummy...But anyways, I haven't heard any kids say "Paki", but at least it sounds like it could help prevent racism? I'm not really sure, if we keep doing things like this to words, it's going to end up like the "n" word...It's just a word...Is it going to be like "You can't call us a Paki, only we can call each other Paki's. You can say Paka, but not Paki"...I'm just using Paki as an example, although I honestly have never heard someone use that...

Oh cheers, Trev. They look like scones to me but can't say I've ever heard of someone having gravy with a scone. You crazy Americans and your crazy eating habits.