Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you rather wear Depends or go without?

Default Would you rather wear Depends or go without?

Easy question, lets say depends where the only diaper available to you, you've worn the aweosmes ones before (bambino,molicare,etc) Would you go with Depends or just go without?

Personally.... I'd go without.

I would go with if I could just wear them for comfort but, if I had to use them I'd go crazy. I tried lightly peeing in the medium level and none of it was absorbed >.< it just fell onto my sweat pants. I think depends were made for drips.

I would rather go without cause depends leak easily

When I travel, I am often forced to settle on depends. I like the feel fit and look but acknowledge a pattern of wet/change/wet/change And wet in control!

I would (and have) used them in a pinch, say when I ran out of premium diapers. (I refer only to the "maximum protection" ones...the rest are hot garbage.) They do ok, but only if you keep in mind their limitations. They don't do well at all for floodings, but if you release a bit at a time you should be able to go completely in them at least once. Double them up and you shouldbe able to get in a few wettings, especially if you can put a booster pad in between.
    Another plus (IMHO) Depends are LOUD, so if you want to crinkle wear them under pajamas and you will be heard!

In a pinch, yes I will wear them.

Tl;DR: "better" isn't always better.

I had a pack of both depends fitted and molicare with which to go 24/7 for a week while my family was on vacation, and to my surprise I actually found myself using both at an equal rate. For me it might have just been a fantasy vs reality thing, but I found that a lot of the positives of molicare ended up being not as positive as you'd think.

Absorbency: The molicares would last about 6-8 hours with a normal fluid intake, and they could hold several wettings. While this sounds great (I thought it was pretty cool at first), sitting in the same wet diaper for 6 hours can get slightly unpleasant (especially if it's a warm day). I think if I really were incontinent I would wear something cheaper and less absorbent, such as depends fitted, while around the house where I could change after every wetting. I actually found myself wearing the molicares when I had to leave the house, and the depends while I was at home and could change easily.

Wicking: Molicare wicks like crazy, meaning that the entirety of the padding gets used to its maximum potential. Unfortunately that means that after the first wetting you get to sit in a diaper that feels damp all over for another 6 hours (unless you like changing a $2 diaper when its nowhere near capacity).

And one other flat out disadvantage is that higher end diapers tend to clump after being worn for a while. There were several times I had to change the molicares because they were clumping up, sagging, and causing leaks before they were anywhere near capacity.

I collected some stats over the week that I wore and found that the molicare had a real world peak absorbancy that was a good 15 ounces over depends, but the average ended up being a lot less because the diaper tended to break down enough that it required a change before it was full.

So in conclusion of a post that's probably way too long for answering a simple question: Different diapers have different advantages and disadvantages, and I would wear any of them provided they fit properly and work as they were intended to.

I would have to say if I was in a pinch I would use depends keeping in mind the limitations on wetting.

forward

Quote Originally Posted by irnub View Post
    And one other flat out disadvantage is that higher end diapers tend to clump after being worn for a while. There were several times I had to change the molicares because they were clumping up, sagging, and causing leaks before they were anywhere near capacity.

I collected some stats over the week that I wore and found that the molicare had a real world peak absorbancy that was a good 15 ounces over depends, but the average ended up being a lot less because the diaper tended to break down enough that it required a change before it was full.
    I had exactly the same problem when I started using Molicares. My solution was to add a booster pad (or two!), so I could go without worrying that the diaper would immediately start to clump up and leak. In my experience, that's much more convenient than wearing an inferior diaper and having to change frequently. It also feels better, at least if you like teh bulk.

For the OP: I too would rather go without.

Absolutely - depends are better than nothing.
    They hold up to one wetting well and actually are quite good for wearing in public because of this.

When I was a teenager, I'd have taken depends any day - even today without another option they are totally fine.

Well, I'm the luckiest DL in the world, because for the past 8-9 years, I have never been without diapers, but given the choice, I would go with the depends. Its better than nothing.