Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for money help :twocents:

Default looking for money help :twocents:

OK between my wife and I we mack $600 every 2 weeks that's good and all but we are having a heard time balancing the bill's, buying groceries and with gas being a all time high. How can I balint's all this things and mack that $600 stretch longer

Quote Originally Posted by matt1989 View Post
    Okay, between my wife and I, we make $600 every 2 weeks. That's good and all, but we are having a hard time balancing the bills, buying groceries and with gas being at an all-time high: how can I balance all these things and make that $600 stretch longer?
    Fixed.

As for the money thing... how can two people be making only $600 every two weeks? I make $320-340 every week ($640-680 every two weeks, then) on my own, and I'm being paid minimum wage. Am I wrong and you are making $600 each?

My advice? Take the bus instead of driving, clip coupons for groceries, and cut down on your bills (possibly lower internet usage, get rid of cable and use your internet to stream shows, get rid of any cell phones that aren't absolutely necessary for work and just use a landline). I don't really know how you're leaving already, but those are the first things off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephy View Post
    Fixed.

As for the money thing... how can two people be making only $600 every two weeks? I make $320-340 every week ($640-680 every two weeks, then) on my own, and I'm being paid minimum wage. Am I wrong and you are making $600 each?
    They may be stuck working part-time because they have no full-time work available.

My best suggestion? Add second jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by WBDaddy View Post
    They may be stuck working part-time because they have no full-time work available.

My best suggestion? Add second jobs.
    I was working under the assumption that they could figure out on their own that if they weren't working full-time jobs, they would have already thought of getting a second job to cover costs. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Zephy View Post
    I was working under the assumption that they could figure out on their own that if they weren't working full-time jobs, they would have already thought of getting a second job to cover costs. :/
    I never assume anything.

That said, my wife and I do reasonably well on her PT income, even as thin as it has been lately, in photography, with my $1200/mo from my FT job. Our regular household expenses (mortgage, electric, water, internet, phones) are less than $800 combined.

It's not hard to squeeze the budget when you're motivated to do so. Cable TV is not a necessity. High-speed internet access is not a necessity (unless, like me, you work from home and have to have broadband to work). 2 people don't need anything bigger than a 1-bedroom or even a studio apartment. Gotta either increase your income or decrease your outlay, one or the other.

Or do without extras. I do. I go as cheap as I can with groceries, clothing, and other items. I don't spend it unless I got it, or after my bills are paid off. I don't buy brand-new video games, DVDs, or anything like that unless I can find a steal of a deal. I buy used and wait until I can afford them. I also still use my flipping VHS too. lol.

Try shopping at discount grocery stores like Aldi or Save a Lot, if you have those around you. That's what I do. It's as good as name-brand and a hell of a lot cheaper. I can get more at those stores on my 40 a week budget for groceries. I live on a fixed income and grew up poor or near the poverty line and I know to make sacrafices.

I also agree with Zephy, ride the bus. It's cheap, and effective; well my bus system is, don't know about others. At least living in a university town gives me a public transit network. Busing can save you money. A friend of mine rides the bus every day to work rather than drive. He saves a lot of money that way. There are ways to do it.

I only have cable TV because I can afford it- if I couldn't afford it, I'd get rid of it. It's all about being smart with money and not spending unless you have it. Another thing that has helped me, I don't even have a credit card. Never had one, don't even want one.

WildThing121675

WildThing - let's not forget the enormous amount of money to be saved by purchasing necessities like clothing and what not at thrift stores and yard sales. I haven't bought new clothes in a decade or more, save the occasional replacing of shoes.

That too... that can help. I forgot about that one... lol. I only buy new clothes when I need to. And that's very rare. My T-shirts last me a while and I take good care of my stuff.

WildThing121675

I work two jobs and can manage that because the second job is in music. This helps a great deal.

Don't forget that churches, the Salvation Army, and thrift stores have clothes that are either for free, or very inexpensive. I would also consider going back to school on a Pell Grant and retrain in a field that would pay better.

Here in Lynchburg, we have Freto Lay, and starting salary for operating a fork lift was $27,000 a year 10 years ago, when I was looking for a new job. There are low skill, higher paying jobs out there. You have to look.

trust me I am dogboy. all those ideas are good I thank you all for your ideas.
    it trow the only Job we can fined is part time. I do under the tabill work.