Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your ideal candidate For US President?

Default Your ideal candidate For US President?

I am wondering if only you out of the whole country voted. Who would you put up as president? (You can also pick no one if your a "their all different levels of evil", but put down plans/ideals.)

Personally I would pick Mitt Romney for GOP/Republican. Obama for democrats/liberals. (no idea on libertarian's ticket.)

What I would like to see though is Obama/Romney or Romney/Obama ticket. Not only hilarious to think about but likely the two most sincere candidates.

An atheist, black, lesbian woman?

Someone who would to endeavor to stop starting wars and to also make sure that education policies are given FAR more attention than they are given now. From what I've heard, the educational system in the US is nearly (but not quite) as bad as it is here in the UK, and that's just something that doesn't sit well with me, considering the US's power in the world

Me. Somebody who can actually separate church and state despite what the butthurt masses of Christians would say. For one, there are other faiths in this country besides Christianity. Don't act like the country is 99% Christian. Then you could have an argument going. And for another... You wanna go live some place where the country's laws are taken over by thousand-year-old books? Go to the middle east and watch young women get stoned for being raped. Go. Do it. And it's not like the world would fall down if the government was basically atheist anyways. We wouldn't kill you or shut down your churches or knock down your Catholic schools. Nor would we force you to marry somebody with the same junk as you. (If only the religious fundamentalists understood the fact that we already do that. Maybe then they'd understand and respect the rest of us.)

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder92 View Post
    An atheist, black, lesbian woman?
    If only I were black. Not exactly atheist, but I don't let religious matters get to my head.

Someone who would to endeavor to stop starting wars and to also make sure that education policies are given FAR more attention than they are given now. From what I've heard, the educational system in the US is nearly (but not quite) as bad as it is here in the UK, and that's just something that doesn't sit well with me, considering the US's power in the world
    Warning! Unpopular opinion! REALLY UNPOPULAR. Don't like? I don't care!

And, ohgod, I have no doubts that our education is getting worse and worse and worse. Hell, I'd rather send my kids to school in the UK than have them herp around over here.

We're one of the (arguably) crappiest places on earth and yet we're so mightily powerful and influential? I see a problem here, and the founding fathers are rolling in their graves. Especially Franklin.

Hmmm. It really does not matter. The American president really does not have the power to do much of anything except give speeches to his followers. If we can replace all of Congress and all of the Supreme Court with people who really want to improve education and healthcare, and who also want to stop wasting countless billions of dollars (which really is not America's money to begin with, by the way) on endless wars that really have nothing to do with direct threats to Americans, then we're talking.

Dwhite

Someone who doesn't give a damn about party lines and works both sides for whats best for the country.

Right now the president can at least veto the crazy bills that congress might pass. That's a lot of power if the president chooses to use it. I think Obama is the lesser of evils, but if a Republican had to be elected, I too would rather it be Mitt Romney.

I've often wondered what would have happened if John McCain had chosen Romney as his running mate. Remember that this was 2008 and the economy had just crashed. Romney is known for being very savy where finances are concerned. He bailed out American Motors years ago, and financially bailed out the Olympics. He would have been such a better choice than Palin.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Right now the president can at least veto the crazy bills that congress might pass. That's a lot of power if the president chooses to use it. I think Obama is the lesser of evils, but if a Republican had to be elected, I too would rather it be Mitt Romney.

I've often wondered what would have happened if John McCain had chosen Romney as his running mate. Remember that this was 2008 and the economy had just crashed. Romney is known for being very savy where finances are concerned. He bailed out American Motors years ago, and financially bailed out the Olympics. He would have been such a better choice than Palin.
    that's pretty much why I was surprised McCain even bothered. I truly think he only picked plain to try and get Clinton voters and in that case he might as well of put up a damn kitten for VP. Likely would of done better among liberals. It's not like this is hindsight either, picking a unheard of governor was a move that only made Mccain look bad. If he picked such a random VP mate what would he of done as president.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    that's pretty much why I was surprised McCain even bothered. I truly think he only picked plain to try and get Clinton voters and in that case he might as well of put up a damn kitten for VP. Likely would of done better among liberals. It's not like this is hindsight either, picking a unheard of governor was a move that only made Mccain look bad. If he picked such a random VP mate what would he of done as president.
    Yes, exactly. Even though I'm a Democrat, I actually liked John McCain when he first started the talk about running. This was before he went to Liberty University and fawned to the Religious conservative right. When he first started going on Comedy Central and was being interviewed by John Stewart, he made a lot of sense. I certainly admired him for surviving in a Vietnam prison camp. He truly is an American hero, but it seemed like he became desperate to be elected. In so doing, he aligned himself with the extreme right, a group he once condemned. And you're right. He chose Palin to counter what many people thought might be an Obama/Clinton ticket.

From what little I know of Trump, I kind of like him. Honestly I think this country needs to be run a lot more like a private business, and nobody has been more successful at that then he has. (Note: Not EXACTLY like a private business, MORE like a private business). I haven't really been following him too closely, however. I'll probably start caring six to eight months or so before the election.

Mitch Daniels looks somewhat promising, too. He's made some radical changes in his home state but it's in better financial shape than most states are. But, then again, some states have managed to balance their budget while NOT implementing new taxes and raising existing ones (is he really a GOP governor???). He's done more than just that, though - I think he's got good vision and the drive to accomplish it. And once again, I don't know anything about him from a social perspective.

The "birther" bullshit is kind of irritating but now that Obama has finally supplied it hopefully that will be laid to rest. I'm not sure how "religious" his campaign platform would be. That might be very off-putting. I'm religious myself but I want religion as far away from the political arena as it can possibly be.

I think there's a small, but gradual shift that is moving away toward the religious right and their rather extreme version of social authoritarianism. Next election might be that spark. If we have a good candidate who isn't a right-wing pandering nutjob, that might be what it takes to get the GOP turned back around in the right direction.

If we have a likable candidate who IS a right-wing nutjob...well, the GOP is just going to become more and more obsolete. Public opinion (as a whole) is shifting away from those ideals.

What a heavy question!

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I grow more apathetic each election that the two-party system only gives the illusion of control. Voting for anyone outside of the two-party system is like wetting a disposable diaper: only you feel the goodness, and it's gonna get thrown out anyway.

Religion? Certainly religion should not drive our government - but it will always influence it because most people are religiously inclined and those inclinations most certainly effect their decision. I respect that. As long as they don't sacrifice goats to Satan in the oval office. Of course, religion is more about a candidate's perception of what they think their constituents want. It's all about perceptions. (Think: Kerry was campaigning with minorities and from that event flew to South Carolina I believe it was and said he wanted to be the candidate with a gun rack and Dixie flag on his bumper).

@Draugr, I agree... "more like a business." I saw a bumper sticker on lunch the other day that said, "Businesses make money, Government takes it." True. It seems things flowed a lot more smoothly before all these entitlement programs fell into place. Republicans want the rich to keep their money because they get votes; Dems want to re-distribute money from the rich and give it to the poor because people want something for nothing). Many (not all) entitlement programs encourage failure. Last year, I effectively doubled my salary with several investments (I don't make much money, lmdo)... point is, the gov't went further into debt. I do more with my money than the gov't does. We need businessmen to give advice on efficiency, instead of candidates pandering to voters.

TERM LIMITS! Regardless of party, platform, etc, I say two terms, tops. There was some Dem who died last year that started in the early 50's... which means that he had 40 years of stale ideas in his service to Congress. TWO TERMS... and then get someone in there with fresh ideas. TWO TERMS... and the lobbyists will have to find new cheat their way into the government (farmer's lobbyists and drug lobbyists are among my least favorite).

Who is my preferred candidate? I suppose whomever will F me over the least.

It's not President O (did this get bleeped?) because he's a puppet with no experience (which, perhaps he started this "birther" crap to divert attention)... and Trump is just a arrogant prick. Alas, a successful arrogant prick, so between the two I'd say Trump... but I'm hoping someone with a chance comes along. I'd like to have a better choice than between those two.

I joke sometimes that I would be a one-term President. I would piss everyone off. I'm irreverent, I abhor political correctness, and I have no sympathy for people who don't learn from their failures. At the same time, I would never want to be President because no matter what, 1/2 the people hate you, and out of 125,000,000 people at least a handful are stupid to come after me. My life is worth more than $1.6 million to have a target on my back for the rest of time. (Sure, 200k a year after you're out, but you still have to look over your shoulder). I prefer just walking down the street w/o people coming to shake my hands and photograph me. I'm content in anonymity.