Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comfort Food

Default Comfort Food

Hi all my first post.....

So just wondered what your Favourite Food is, that you remember from childhood....

Mine is a bowl of Farleys Rusks with warm milk and a sprinkle of sugar.

Hmmm...I remember loving grilled cheese and ketchup (and I still do...) Tomato soup, too.

What are "farley rusks"? I'm guessing a British confection? (The "favourite" gave it away.)

Welcome, and cute avatar by the way!

Farley's Rusks are the backbone of UK baby food! They look like a very thick cookie, and you can eat them as such, but equally you can crumble them into a bowl, pour on milk, and mash them up into a paste to spoon-feed to your younger baby.

The original Mr Farley was a baker in Plymouth (where the Mayflower came from) in the 1880s, and he baked them at the request of a local doctor who was worried about the number of poor mothers who were unable to provide adequate food for their infants. Which is a little ironic, because these days they say they are bad for you (too much salt, sugar and fat)

Brand is owned these days by HJ Heinz.

Hugs

Artie

Honestly, I don't think I have a comfort food from when I was a kid. Maybe chicken alfredo. But if I had to pick a favorite memory associated with food it would be going out on errands with my dad on saturdays and then after we did all our chores we would get slushies.

I dont think i had a comfort food as a kid. I just had whatever my Mom gave me XD

Quote Originally Posted by pax87 View Post
    Honestly, I don't think I have a comfort food from when I was a kid. Maybe chicken alfredo. But if I had to pick a favorite memory associated with food it would be going out on errands with my dad on saturdays and then after we did all our chores we would get slushies.
    Slushies are good and I used to love all the different flavours...... I want a STRAWBERRY SLUSHIE now hehehe, but think we called them slush puppies when we were kids....... if they are the same thing and I still get a craving for them now

I think slush puppies are the same thing. They are so yummy in the hot summer time!

I would have to say cocoa pebbles and cream of wheat were 2 big comfort foods, and always loved peanut butter and jelly or marshmallow fluff, or bananas,...peanut butter goes so well with so many things!